DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-17-2006, 02:48 AM

Default Re: The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Is it really true that buddy rich couldn't read music? I thought that he couldn't, but his solos are so complicated and amazing, and he keeps on beat so well I really would have never known. I notice that in anything, the guy who is self taught always reigns supreme.....
- Marc
Old 02-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
Is it really true that buddy rich couldn't read music? I thought that he couldn't, but his solos are so complicated and amazing, and he keeps on beat so well I really would have never known. I notice that in anything, the guy who is self taught always reigns supreme.....
- Marc
Reading doesnt have much to do with the stuff you said. Vinnie went to Berklee, self taught, i think not! Hey that rhymes! Sweet.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
Reading doesnt have much to do with the stuff you said. Vinnie went to Berklee, self taught, i think not! Hey that rhymes! Sweet.

Yep. I just watched the Steve Gadd/Zildjian tribute dvd, and every musician on that dvd is reading a chart (even Tom Scott on the tunes he wrote!). Vinnie's eyes where glued to his chart during "Nite Sprite", even though I'm sure he's heard/played that song 100s of times.

The advantage being, no need for lengthy group rehearsals. The rehearsal footage is pretty sweet, you get to see how those high caliber musicians work behind the scenes. Good stuff.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Henry II

Default Non-Believers, Blasphemers, Heretics, Heathens! Prepare to Humble Thyselves . . .

If you wear dentures, maybe you should take them out now.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/62425/...8_buddy_is_61/

PS: Don't click on the screen. Wait for the clip to load up.

Last edited by Henry II; 02-18-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Non-Believers, Blasphemers, Heretics, Heathens! Prepare to Humble Thyselves . . .

That left hand had a life of its own. Un-freakin'-believable.

Long live Buddy.

TOMANO
Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
I've heard that people have started playing drums in other countries, too.

Heck, I've heard this drumming thing has reached as far as Africa!!!

Can you 'magine?

TOMANO
Old 02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Non-Believers, Blasphemers, Heretics, Heathens! Prepare to Humble Thyselves . .

no the video wasnt working for me but the audio wasnt

but im over here wondering who on earth would be a non-buddy-believer, the guy is an animal in every video we see!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
- Marc
How about this.......
Is it really true that buddy rich couldn't read music? I thought that he couldn't, but his solos are so complicated and amazing, and he keeps on beat so well I really would have never known. I notice that in anything, the guy who is self taught always seems to reign supreme.....
Happy?
- Marc
Old 02-20-2006, 08:05 PM

Please, could anybody tell me what's the best choice to make when it comes to Buddy Rich's videos widely (or not) available? Just want to have a nice (the best, if possible) piece of drumming history at home from the distance of a (my) tv remote control. Just confort and admiration put together. Any Buddy full video that actually combines great sound + simply astounding (unbelievable) performances + great selection of acts ??? (maybe "Buddy Rich 'At The Top' "?) - that would be so nice to have!. Please let me know the best choice there is... I'm just as much a fan of the great Master as any of you, guys... :o)

Thanks a lot!.

- Ivo.

Last edited by CadaveR (Ivo); 02-20-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:21 PM

Hey!

I'm a big Buddy fan and if I had to recommend one vidéo it would be the pack in which there is "The Channel One Suite + The Lost West Side Story Tapes", he's just amazing. Musically, It is not that amazing, he was towards the end and what everyone was waiting for was the drum solo, but man... when that drum solo comes!! He does an amazing intro on brushes too. There are also a few good bonus, interviews etc...
To have absolutely!!

Take care,

Buddy Rich is my hero ! ;-)
Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Another unreal Buddy Rich solo!

It would seem like at the time, to the non-drummer/musician, he was the most visually appealing drummer who also sounded busy at the same time
Old 02-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Pioneer Member

i wanted to write the same things as stu and finn did, but i didnt dare..
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Yeah, that's what I've never understood about Buddy. His drumming is very technical. Why do non-drummers like it so much? You would THINK people that don't drum would get bored of it, but they seem to like it better than people like me and finn.
I don't get that either. Any non-musical person I know tends not give a crap about drummers or they like more of the showman type (not that there's anything wrong with that...). When they see BR I expect "Yeah he's fast and he made a funny face", and when they see others its "OMFG! That part where his drumset flipped upside down was amaaaazing!" I see the opposite reaction most of the time...but hey, if they like Buddy they're cool in my book. Oh, and another killer solo by B.R!!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:52 PM

i still think he has the fastest hands ever.
great clarity.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Pioneer Member

definately one of my favorite drummers. i love all his work!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadaveR (Ivo)
Please, could anybody tell me what's the best choice to make when it comes to Buddy Rich's videos widely (or not) available? Just want to have a nice (the best, if possible) piece of drumming history at home from the distance of a (my) tv remote control. Just confort and admiration put together. Any Buddy full video that actually combines great sound + simply astounding (unbelievable) performances + great selection of acts ??? (maybe "Buddy Rich 'At The Top' "?) - that would be so nice to have!. Please let me know the best choice there is... I'm just as much a fan of the great Master as any of you, guys... :o)

Thanks a lot!.

- Ivo.
I really like the Buddy Rich Live At The 1982 Montreal Jazz Festival DVD.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruManiac19
i still think he has the fastest hands ever.
great clarity.
Over short bursts, I don't think I've ever seen anyone faster than Joe Morello; this is, of course, ignoring WFD competitors who play at about 3 decibels in an unmusical context.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingenfelter Twin Turbo
I don't think this one is on this site. He is 61 years old in this clip. Words can't describe Buddy's talent!
Amen. For those drummers who think in order to do a solo they must have 10 drums & cymbals, time to think again. I was lucky enuogh to see Buddy & his band either '79 or '80 I believe it was. Just unbelievable performance.

By the way, I'm a C-5 owner & drummer...no twin turbo, but would love them!
Old 02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Simply amazing. Your right this isnt on the site but they should put it on. Damn hes so fast.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 AM

Thanks a lot AurelienPK and rjvsmb!. I'll definitely consider both suggestions. : ]

- About Buddy and speed, I think I've never seen anyone that fast for so long periods of time with so little effort being put on the drumset. Also think that Buddy is underrrated by some people because he played in an era of less high-tech equipment and using a basic Jazzistic drum set and basically only playin' (not always) Jazz oriented material (including the Jazz influence into his great solos - some of the best EVER, imo). If you disconsider the sound quality and the drum sets full of tom toms and triggers around, when it comes strictly to raw technique, speed, creativity when soloing and sheer showmanship, I really think that Buddy is still THE man (Could anybody prove I'm wrong? I'm dying for something as much - or more??? - daring/inspiring as Buddy's classic videos through the net!). : ]

- Ivo.

Last edited by CadaveR (Ivo); 02-22-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Pioneer Member

I love his version of Bugle Call Rag. Norwegian Wood is probably one of my favorite songs too.

One thing I find amazing about him was his endurance. During his solos he almost never stopped playing something and yet continued to go on and was then able to come back in and finish the song just as strong.

His playing influences me today but I can't do any of it save for the little clicky stick thing but that's not that impressive except when he did it after one of those snare breaks.

DW is offering a Buddy Rich tribute kit (strange about the brand though I would have thought maybe Ludwig instead...). If I had the money I would buy it :)
Nothing beats the White Pearl wraps and that old look of cymbal mounts on the bass drum and a 24" bass drum 13", 16" toms.

I have yet to see anyone today play with the intensity and feeling that he put into his music. You can watch other great drummers play with the Buddy Rich Big Band but it's not the same.

It wasn't easy playing on that old Slingerland hardware either...unlike the Iron Cobras and such of today...
Old 02-22-2006, 04:36 AM

Has anyone checked out the latest clip that has been added to the Buddy Rich section? It is definately a must see. The clip is from 1970, he is playing a beautiful set of Slingerland's. You must check this out!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider
I love his version of Bugle Call Rag. Norwegian Wood is probably one of my favorite songs too.

One thing I find amazing about him was his endurance. During his solos he almost never stopped playing something and yet continued to go on and was then able to come back in and finish the song just as strong.

His playing influences me today but I can't do any of it save for the little clicky stick thing but that's not that impressive except when he did it after one of those snare breaks.

DW is offering a Buddy Rich tribute kit (strange about the brand though I would have thought maybe Ludwig instead...). If I had the money I would buy it :)
Nothing beats the White Pearl wraps and that old look of cymbal mounts on the bass drum and a 24" bass drum 13", 16" toms.

I have yet to see anyone today play with the intensity and feeling that he put into his music. You can watch other great drummers play with the Buddy Rich Big Band but it's not the same.

It wasn't easy playing on that old Slingerland hardware either...unlike the Iron Cobras and such of today...
His endurance is AMAZING. Great, phenomenal stamina. Have you checked out Buddy's solo from 1970 featured in this very same web site? Fantastic speed control, precision and inventiveness... one even better than this (in a way) is the one dating from '78 that Buddy was playing in Holland (at least it says "Holland" on the background...). Without mentioning the classic "Channel one" peformance. There's no better rudiments' player than B.R. He's made some miracles with his old Ludwig hardware. Definitely. No tricks (except for the STICK trick... heh) just plain straight on genius. I also enjoy watching the following drummers play: Gene Krupa, Thomas Lang, Donati, Weckl, Colaiuta, Gadd, Chambers, Lionel Hampton, Bonham, Jojo Mayer (for the tricks) and John Blackwell... great solos, technique and overall musicianship. The créme de la créme. The elite. Speed, "tricks", "on beat", grooves, creativity, showmanship, these names give me it all (all there is to learn). Although exactly NONE of those had shown me a higher level of drum-mastering than Mr. Buddy Rich "did" - does!. And by this I mean the old-fashioned "all around" best drummer in the world.

pcmckay - I did. Breathtaking. From start to finish (It's one of those solos that I wish that could never have an end, just wanted to see it going forever... eternally, unidentifyedly).

Womble - There's no way Joe Morello could be faster than Rich. I've found exactly no documented (video) evidence of that. I've found just a couple of videos and, although he was great, he, by no means, showed a faster tempo than Rich. If at least you could show me (us) ? : )

- Ivo.

Last edited by CadaveR (Ivo); 02-22-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:16 AM

Heh, for all the people sayin' Buddy couldn't be musical: I think you've NOT seen enough of them (videos). I've seen some rare Buddy-videos being very "musical" and not just throwing out "almost handomly" insane technically impossible tricks and chops or single-handed rolls every single second. The solos which are placed here, while great, don't really represent all of Buddy's "secret weapons", he could be extremely "musical", people just have to find those videos out and judge again for themselves. Even ART VERDI called him the GREATEST DRUMMER EVER. Just read his "testimonial". I'm still shocked when I watch all of Buddy's videos that I've got so far again and again. Every time seems to be the first. Simply God-given. If God could play the drums, he would be Buddy Rich.

Just my two cents (I wish they could be two "dollars" actually, heh).

Just didn't want to see Buddy being underrated when he doesn't really deserve ALL this negative feedback of "oh... he's insanely technical but that's 'all' ". Not fair on my book.

Take care.

- Ivo.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Re: The Grand Master BR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
Buddy is to drums what Babe Ruth is to baseball. A legend larger than life. Certainly there have been limits pushed by many drummers who are considered more technically proficient. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with the showmanship that Buddy did. He had character and wit beyond what most drummer have these day's.
"there have been limits pushed by MANY DRUMMERS who are considered MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with"

Heh, you must be kidding. Really joking. I'm sorry but you're wrong. Saying "BUDDY RICH", "MANY DRUMMERS" and "MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT" in the same sentence is ridiculous. Please prove it. I'd also love to see all those MANY drummers surpassing Rich's technical skills and going "beyond" (from where he went). Please? : )

- Ivo.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:56 AM

buddy rich is simply the greatest, im glad to be able to watch his videos everyday
Old 02-24-2006, 05:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
"there have been limits pushed by MANY DRUMMERS who are considered MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT. However no one pulled off such amazing feats with"

Heh, you must be kidding. Really joking. I'm sorry but you're wrong. Saying "BUDDY RICH", "MANY DRUMMERS" and "MORE TECHNICALLY PROFICIENT" in the same sentence is ridiculous. Please prove it. I'd also love to see all those MANY drummers surpassing Rich's technical skills and going "beyond" (from where he went). Please? : )

- Ivo.

I don't think he was kidding, in fact I would say he is correct. While I don't think there are many drummers more technically proficent than Buddy, there certaintly have been some. That is what happens with everthing given time.

Buddy was a showman, and the very best of his time. Alot of progress has been made off of Buddy's work. Now there are some drummers doing eveything buddy could do and much more. There are drummers today who excell at various styles. Evething gets better with time. It's evolution, and Buddy is no exception.

As much as I didn't want to write this in Buddy's thread, it had to be said.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:44 AM

Drum solos are not the most important part of drumming, I wathch them for some fun but the real context is the groove.You can be a great solo drummer but if your groove sucks you suck too, you know what I mean? Buddy's musicallity was unbeliebable that's why he rules, or look at Mike Portnoy he drum solos suck but he is a great drummer because of he's musicallity and all the things he does with he's cymbals and stuff.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
I don't think he was kidding, in fact I would say he is correct. While I don't think there are many drummers more technically proficent than Buddy, there certaintly have been some. That is what happens with everthing given time.

Buddy was a showman, and the very best of his time. Alot of progress has been made off of Buddy's work. Now there are some drummers doing eveything buddy could do and much more. There are drummers today who excell at various styles. Evething gets better with time. It's evolution, and Buddy is no exception.

No problem. Not at all. But could you please show me the videos? And which thing "that" drummer surpassed Buddy in? I can't see Dave Weckl's snare drum work been more inventive and faster than Buddy's. I can't see Virgil Donati being more creative, I can't see Jojo Mayer been faster, also can't see anybody else with the same qualities put together into one single person to this day. Buddy's solos (that if you've REALLY seen enough of them... just a dozen does not mean much at all) are untouchable. Speed control, effortless motions, trick-creations, chops, one-handed rolls, snare drum work, cymbals, everything is so different and sutile, I can't really thing of ANYONE that could provide me with so many atributes, so much qualities in one single person. No. Sorry. And even less "MANY" of them. If you really want to convince me and some people here, please just post some links to these many different drummers and tell me what has been improved so much from the later Buddy Rich's presentations to this day. Thanks.

Even the utterly respected Mr. ART VERDI and Mr. GENE KRUPA have admitted: "Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer who ever drawn breath; who EVER lived". And that goes directly against to: "hey... MANY DRUMMERS have surpassed Rich's abilities - just check it out" (ok, that last part "check it out..." is what has been missing here actually... would love to witness these so many genius drummers surpass Mr. BUDDY RICH. He's no perfect, OF COURSE NOT, but he was/IS THE BEST we've got (or at least, you should prove me I'm wrong. Any videos out there??? : )

- Ivo.

(SORRY FOR THE EDITs...)

Last edited by CadaveR (Ivo); 02-24-2006 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
No problem. Not at all. But could you please show me the videos? And which thing "that" drummer surpassed Buddy in? I can't see Dave Weckl's snare drum work been more inventive and faster than Buddy's. I can't see Virgil Donati being more creative, I can't see Jojo Mayer been faster, also can't see anybody else with the same qualities put together into one single person to this day. Buddy's solos (that if you've REALLY seen enough of them... just a dozen does not mean much at all) are untouchable. Speed control, effortless motions, trick-creations, chops, one-handed rolls, snare drum work, cymbals, everything is so different and sutile, I can't really thing of ANYONE that could provide me with so many atributes, so much qualities in one single person. No. Sorry. And even less "MANY" of them. If you really want to convince me and some people here, please just post some links to these many different drummers and tell me what has been improved so much from the later Buddy Rich's presentations to this day. Thanks.

- Ivo.
You're entitled to beleive whatever you want. I'm not hear to convince you of anything. Continue to enjoy Buddy's work, I know I do. It's just my opinion and many others that there are some drummers doing things today that I find more impressive, technically and musically than Buddy ever did.

DrummerWorld provides us with hundreds of drummers and a blueprint to alot of their work. My adivise would be to research alot of these drummers and make your own comparisons if you see fit.

And lets get something straight. Buddy Rules! I'm not hear to badmouth him or present any negativity tword him.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
You're entitled to beleive whatever you want. I'm not hear to convince you of anything. Continue to enjoy Buddy's work, I know I do. It's just my opinion and many others that there are some drummers doing things today that I find more impressive, technically and musically than Buddy ever did.

DrummerWorld provides us with hundreds of drummers and a blueprint to alot of their work. My adivise would be to research alot of these drummers and make your own comparisons if you see fit.

And lets get something straight. Buddy Rules! I'm not hear to badmouth him or present any negativity tword him.
Ok. Let's stay peaceful (I also enjoy the fact that you're a "lonely" internet surfer like me... heh not too many people around this time of the night - at least where I live in). I've already watched dozens and dozens of videos by hundreds of drummers from this site and while some are amazingly gifted, heh (as I've told you... I'm not to repeat all over again... that's really tedious, I admitt it...), i simply couldn't find one single person with all "those" qualities been put together at the time of one of Buddy's incredible solo momentum; but i'll respect your oppinion though. As i also enjoy many other drummers, not just the old Buddy.

Take Care (and sorry if I was rude... didn't really mean to be so... it's just my "natural" way of "feeling" the discussion... nevermind...).

- Ivo.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:17 AM
Pioneer Member

No offense taken, and I respect your opinion fully. The spirit of Buddy lives on forever!

Happy Drumming.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Founder Drummerworld

I will put up this 1978 video (from Hudson Music - classic drummers) these next days...

Bernhard
Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 PM

Default The Buddy Rich fast left hand singles.

I have watched and watched and watched a clip I have of him doing this technique on an open high hat in slow motion and practicing it daily paying very close attention to his fingers and noticing that his wrist really doesnt move.. I cant explain it but last night I was watching law and order with practice pad in lap and there it was. Not as fast as buddy of course but close to that clip. If that clip was 140bpm I would say I was doing 100-110. It just happened. I "felt" what it feels like to do it right and the whole key was having NO TENSION in the wrist, foreare or hands. Its like like a quote from Gruber.. "Get out of the way". I cant believe it.

Now I must admit that my poor brain is so tied up with the technique that I cant do anything else but thats ok. All in time. I wish I could explain it to you guys because now it just makes sence and whats crazy is how little effort it takes. You just feel it when it happens and whats crazy is I was about to give up on it. Wham, out of no where I can all of the sudden do this now and after the shock wore off I was able to get it up to the speed in the clip but not keep it there for very long. All in time.. I would say that the Steve Smith and Dave Weckl DVD helped this happen since I have a better understanding about proper stick technique and rebound. Even though i will likley never use this in my general playing its got to be good for my poor neglected left hand. Its so great to feel a little growth after feeling stuck for so long.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: The Buddy Rich fast left hand singles.

Nice!!

Learning a new technique is so great. I think I felt the same way you did when I finally got the Moeller technique in my right hand.

Last edited by centralzeke; 02-24-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Pioneer Member

now where talking. its nice to see so many people love Buddy...
Old 03-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Henry II

Quote:

Then prepare to eat thy words and humble thyself at the altar of Buddy:

Old 03-05-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry II
Then prepare to eat thy words and humble thyself at the altar of Buddy:

I also have this video in my HD and Buddy's effortless and BEAUTIFUL hand motions, general technique, CREATIVITY and surgical precision are SHOCKING - to say the least. For the people who have not seen this: pay attention to the motions!, to the details... ;) breathtaking.

If anyone doesn't want to see this as a genius in this example (and there are a couple more at this same level - or even higher!), then you're all blind. How could anybody does not want to see a so explicit thing? :-) Let's keep the memory of the "world's greatest drummer" alive. :o]

- Ivo.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Henry II

Quote:
I also have this video in my HD and Buddy's effortless and BEAUTIFUL hand motions, general technique, CREATIVITY and surgical precision are SHOCKING - to say the least. For the people who have not seen this: pay attention to the motions!, to the details... ;) breathtaking.

If anyone doesn't want to see this as a genius in this example (and there are a couple more at this same level - or even higher!), then you're all blind. How could anybody does not want to see a so explicit thing? :-) Let's keep the memory of the "world's greatest drummer" alive. :o]

- Ivo.
And keep in mind, Buddy was 61 years old when this performance was recorded.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry II
And keep in mind, Buddy was 61 years old when this performance was recorded.
Yup, I knew it. I'm also a big fan of him. :-)

There's not one single drummer so far that could do EVERYTHING that Buddy could (let alone MUCH MORE...). ;-)

- Ivo.