DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-31-2005, 06:43 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Buddy Rich dvds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo
Thinkin I'm gonna pick one up. Anyone got a recommendation?
Also, anyone know if there is any footage around the net of Buddy away from the kit ie an interview?
I believe theres a whole buttload of Buddy on Johnny Carson footage somewhere, but dont think theyve given much to the public. Shame.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Buddy Rich dvds?

Live at the Montreaux Jazz Fest, Channel One Suite and West Side Story-The Lost Tapes(recorded in the 80's in surround, very cool), Jazz Legend Pts. 1, 2. Those are the one's I have seen and they are great.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Buddy Rich Stick Click Trick?

Years ago when I was in college I met Buddy at a small hotel lounge near us in Grand Rapids, MI. He was half asleep during the first hour set but when he came back for the second hour...man what a show!! He did the stick Click Trick and explained that he was taught that when he performed on stage at 4 years old! He used to perform without a drum set...just sticks...and he also would throw the sticks on the floor so they would bounce back to his hands. He showed me both and really it isn't that hard...just a lot of practice as you are hitting one stick on the downstroke and the other on the upstroke. I am not that great of percussionist but I was able to build up to a reasonable speed for my music exams in college. The stick bounce off the floor isn't so useful but I used to practice that as well and I got so 90% of the time they would come up correctly..cool BUT ...the other 10% makes you look like an idiot!

Good Luck!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:34 AM

After watching the 2nd video file from West Side (Downloaded from here) It appears that he's doing alternating 32nd notes. He doesn't appear to be doing any RRL RRL RRL... as was earlier stated. He's just hitting the sticks together very fast. Very awesome to watch never the less... It's too bad they didnt have the quality video back in the 50's & 60's like they have now, otherwise, I'd bet there'd be 100 times more footage of the legendary Buddy Rich!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:36 AM

After watching the 2nd video file from West Side (Downloaded from here) It appears that he's doing alternating 32nd notes. He doesn't appear to be doing any RRL RRL RRL... as was earlier stated. He's just hitting the sticks together very fast. Very awesome to watch never the less... It's too bad they didnt have the quality video back in the 50's & 60's like they have now, otherwise, I'd bet there'd be 100 times more footage of the legendary Buddy Rich!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:38 AM

Old 12-01-2005, 03:43 AM

After watching the 2nd video file from West Side (Downloaded from here) It appears that he's doing alternating 32nd notes. He doesn't appear to be doing any RRL RRL RRL... as was earlier stated. He's just hitting the sticks together very fast. In the other video clip the one that was refered to earlier... I think he's actually doing a para-diddle (RLRRLRLLRLRRLRLL)... Very awesome to watch never the less... It's too bad they didnt have the quality video back in the 50's & 60's like they have now, otherwise, I'd bet there'd be 100 times more footage of the legendary Buddy Rich!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Who else saw Buddy Rich live?

Just wondering how many others were able to see Buddy Rich perform live. I saw him twice and have never seen another drummer like him since! Words simply cannot describe his playing. Now his personality is a whole nother topic! Rude to say the least. Would not even give me an autograph, and the shows were attended by around 60-75 people.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Who else saw Buddy Rich live?

I got to see him in 1983. I was about 10 years old. I don't remember much about that night other than I was so floored by watching this old guy tearing up this little Sears catalog drum set(that's what it looked like to me anyway). My dad took me to see him and I didn't really want to go at first. I wasn't at all into jazz at the time and I was used to seeing drummers that played on bigger sets of drums than what Buddy used. But I went anyway and by the time Mr. Rich was done my dad was picking my mouth up off the floor. I couldn't believe it! I mean, I've seen drummers bang on their sets but Buddy PLAYED his. I listen to his music and watch his video's all the time and I always learn something new everytime. Buddy is second on my "influences" list, right behind my dad.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
mlehnertz

I saw Buddy twice in the early 80s. Good stuff.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Happy to say I was able to see him once. Must have been early 80's. Great performance and smoking band.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:31 PM

I saw him in Norway, 78 or 79 I think.
Awsome!

/Frode
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Pioneer Member

unfortunately i didn't know who he was until years after he died, (and when i started drumming)
Old 12-27-2005, 07:22 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

I saw Buddy Rich at least 10 times at a small club in Wilkes-Barre, Pa called the highlighter or something like that. He always played his ass off, but man a few times somebody pissed him off and he and the band just quit playing for the night.

I was also lucky enough to accidentaly bump into Buddy at a bar the night before he was to play. It was mid afternoon and he was just in there having some drinks. I got to hang out with him for hours, he was a fun guy if you got to hang with him.

JOe
Old 12-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris
I saw Buddy Rich at least 10 times at a small club in Wilkes-Barre, Pa called the highlighter or something like that. He always played his ass off, but man a few times somebody pissed him off and he and the band just quit playing for the night.

I was also lucky enough to accidentaly bump into Buddy at a bar the night before he was to play. It was mid afternoon and he was just in there having some drinks. I got to hang out with him for hours, he was a fun guy if you got to hang with him.

JOe
Hah! That's great, you were probably the only guy in that bar he respected!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm relaying this information from another post, but I actually ecountered Buddy Rich twice.

Back in the old days, I worked as a security guard in Detroit during the summer while going to school. My main "gig" was something called the Bob-Lo boats on the Detroit River. However, for two weeks I worked at something called the "Reniassance Center," as it was being completed. I'ts now the home of General Motors.

On a Saturday night, I was working the back of the place watching three parking lots. It was an uneventful job with not a lot to do so I started bringing my pad and sticks with me as I stood in that booth.

I stood with my back to the building, looking out on the lots, and I was practicing my paradidles at the time. Five guys approached me, and one of them said, "Hey! Nice Paradiddles you got there."

As I mentioned previously, they were almost finished with the place, but parts of it were still a mess inside. Come to find out the five of them were inside, took a wrong turn, and were suddenly outside and had no clue how to get back in.

I was very impressed that the guy could actually tell what I was doing just by watching my hands, and he also noticed that I'm a lefty with a traditional grip. He pointed out what I was doing wrong with my right wrist and gave me a short lesson on what to do with my fingers.

Then one of the guys said, "Hey Buddy, we gotta git..."

My eyes widened, and I swallowed air as I tried to say, "Buddy? Buddy? Buddy Rich?"

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "Thank you, thank you thank you..." As I shook his hand with both of my hands.

As I remember, I was about 17 at the time, and hadn't been taking lessons all that long. I knew who Buddy Rich was, but I didn't know Buddy Rich, if that makes any sense.

Then, two years later, I was scheduled to work a Saturday night charter cruise on one of the ships. The entertainment for the evening was Buddy Rich, with what I assume were local musicians playing along with him.

The weather was horrible, and even though the ship could hold close to 2400 people, only about 400 or so showed up. On the 2nd deck, from mid-ship aft, was the dance floor, with a small bandstand just about mid-ship. That's where he set his kit up and the other musicians played out in front.

For the better part of three hours, I stood no further than five feet from him, watching him play.

The end result may not be what you would think. For me it was absolutely devistating. Maybe being 19 years old and a little too self absorbed, perhaps, but I became so depressed and intimidated watching him. You could not see the sticks at times, and his forearms never moved!

I just kept thinking to myself, "I will never be this good... NEVER!"

I didn't realize at the time that arguably no one else was that good either, and that it's okay, and that there's no shame in being less proficient than Buddy Rich!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:04 AM

LongSnapper,
That's a great story. Buddy was, and still is, THE MAN!

TOMANO
Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris

JOe
Buddy in a bar in the afternoon drinking? Please elaborate........

TD
Old 12-29-2005, 06:13 AM

I have to admit, I'm one of the unlucky ones that never got to see the master play except through all the wonderful videos that are available. Having said that as a drummer and video production guy Buddy Rich is always at the forefront of my work on a daily basis.

Working for WFD and Drumometer in which if you know the story of how the debate between Barrett Deems and Buddy Rich inspired the instrument and the entire WFD movement then you can imagine what an influenece he is each day on every video cut at WFD.

Although I never got to see him, to me living through his works, I have to say he is the greatest that ever lived. If you haven't checked out his works please do. He was not only one of the fastest or the best, he was and still is the greatest!

TD
Old 12-31-2005, 08:43 AM

I saw Buddy 3 times and still remember a lady shouting to him "when are you going to do a drum solo?" shortly after he finished West Side Story! Everybody laughed when Buddy hollered back to the lady "what the hell do you think I've been doing up here for the last half hour?"
Old 01-01-2006, 03:15 PM

My Dad took me to see Buddy in Southport UK. He died not too long afterwards as I recall (so it must have been around 85/86).

I didn't realise at the time how important this gig would become to me in later life because (at 13 years old and with only 2 years experience under my belt) I was too young to fully appreciate it.

But I do recall he had a talent that was off the scale and a style that was very aggressive, which combined to captive the audience.

Talent aside I suspect he was quote an imposing and intimidating character to come face to face with. I wouldn't have liked to rub him up the wrong way if you know what I mean.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:27 PM

My drumteacher saw Buddy Rich Live.

It was in Germany in the 80s.

He performed some awesome stick tricks and a great solo.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
I saw Buddy twice in the early 80s. Good stuff.
You sound just a little too relaxed about that...
Old 01-01-2006, 10:14 PM

My band director played with buddy. He said someone played a wrong note and buddy fired him right there on the spot. harsh
Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funked_up
You sound just a little too relaxed about that...
Almost unnerving... hehe, ive never been alive at the same time as buddy, so im kind of hoping im him reincarnated. Ive seen some videos though, and it is depressing. There was a man who could drum.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:16 PM

Default Re: The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Buddy Rich was, and continues to be, a guiding light for this musician. His approach, ability and delivery was uncanny. I remember the first time I saw him on the Tonight Show...my 6 year old head FELL OFF! I am fascinated by the man, the legend and the musical accomplishments of the man. His abrasive nature is a source of criticism for some, but I think it's all part of the legend. Above and beyond his incredible talent, Buddy was, first and foremost, a music lover. That passion shows in everything he did.

TOMANO
Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Did you see that slingerland is making a Buddy Rich Kit! To bad its over $5000.00. I bet it sounds amazing. I just saw someone with one of there newer kits…. WOW!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM
Pioneer Member

I saw some videos of Buddy soloing yesterday and to be honest (I know I'll probably get a slagging for this) but it just seemed to be constant speed, really fast rolls and no real groove. Impressive but very repetetive. The one handed roll is quite impressive.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin
I saw some videos of Buddy soloing yesterday and to be honest (I know I'll probably get a slagging for this) but it just seemed to be constant speed, really fast rolls and no real groove. Impressive but very repetetive. The one handed roll is quite impressive.
Tutin,

Hopefully no one rips you for making an observation base on SOME videos. However, Buddy has 60 years of material to listen to. Trust me when I say, the man can grove.

Buddy was more that just solos. He was about the music and his part in an arrangement. His timing was flawless, his fills were right for the song, and he drove the band. (and I don't mean the bus)

Listen to and watch as much as you can. If you get a chance watch the Jazz Legends DVD of Buddy. The opening solo shows his hand technique and his hand foot coordination at an impressive speed.

In the Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival DVD, his brushwork on Brush Strokes has a nice grove and his cymbal solo on West Side Story shows technique and touch.

Keep your ears and eyes open when listening to and watching Buddy. There is always something to discover in his playing.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin
I've got an old cassette tape of Buddy live at his club Buddy's Place. The opening tune is Chameleon, a Herbie Hancock piece. Buddy flat grooves his you-know-what off. In fact, he doesn't take a solo on any of the tunes on that recording. He just jams with the band. Buddy could do it all. Not slamming you or anything but man, check out some of his albums and dvd's(as rjvsmb mentioned, check out Live at the Montreal Jazz Fest) if you get the chance. You'll be amazed at how stinkin' good he was.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Pioneer Member

no, i was born one month after he died..
Old 01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Pioneer Member

I saw Buddy play at Yukon High School in 1983 or 1984. He fired one of the trumpet players right after the first song. Say what you want about Buddy, I would rather have people skills and be someone wants to be around. His most notable recording is of him cussing his band out on the bus. Unfortunately, this is what he may be remembered for more than his great playing. Vinnie Coluiata is of a greater caliber than Buddy could ever hope to reach and a much better person
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Henry II

I had the privilege of seeing Buddy Rich play twice. I was in my 20's both times. In my opinion he was the best drummer who ever played, and arguably the best musician (jazz, classical or otherwise), who ever played.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Pioneer Member

Default If you ever dreamed of playing in Buddy Rich's band, this may change that!

I found this audio clips of Buddy "having a word" with his band. I should warn you that this contains some very harsh language. I'm gonna assume that Buddy didn't keep this band around too long!

http://www.cis.rit.edu/~ejipci/buddy_rich.htm
Old 01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: If you ever dreamed of playing in Buddy Rich's band, this may change that!

woah......is that really him? It's kinda funny.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: If you ever dreamed of playing in Buddy Rich's band, this may change that!

Thats stupid that people make a fuss about that. I would be the same way if I was him. I would want my band to be the best. He is paying them his own money you know.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannar
I'm gonna assume that Buddy didn't keep this band around too long!

Ummm, that's why buddy is dead and his band has since played with the absolutely biggest names in drums (besides BR)! And the band is really smoking, if you havent noticed. They can play! I wouldn't mind playing with them.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:56 PM

Responding to the last post, I'm pretty sure Buddy Rich is not dead due to the fact that he didn't keep a particular band together. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure...Yeah, um...yeah...

As for the "Buddy Bus & Backstage Bootlegs" (or the Quadruple Bs as I like to call them,)
if you listen closely, it seems Buddy is more into hearing his own machismo than actually being sincere in his threats. The late, GREAT, Steve Marcus from the BRBB told a great story of coming off the band stand one night, feeling like he had done wonders on his sax. Buddy thought differently, and started yelling, screaming and threatening job termination, all the while attempting to unbutton a new shirt his wife bought him. In the middle of the tirade, Buddy pauses, changes tone, softens his face and asks Marcus, "Hey man, you want this shirt?" Steve says he doesn't think it would fit him. Buddy asks around for someone who might like the shirt, then goes back into his verbal beating of Marcus. That story says a lot...

TOMANO
Old 01-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Pioneer Member

this just made laugh, but i can understand his point of view, however there's no point in being THAT harsh about it. its all about respect all in all.....
Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

I dont think its about respect. I think its about getting the job done and getting a paycheck. If I was in his band I wouldnt mind the yelling as long as I got paid. If you cant take a little verbal abuse you should go back to elementary school.