DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Default Drum Rack Setups

I recently built my own drum kit. I just finished and am looking to mount it using iso mounts preferably on a rack. I have been looking at the DW rack to buy but seriously, there is no information anywhere about what else I need. The rack doesnt just automatically connect to any iso mounts that I buy for my kit. From every picture I have looked at there are 1-2 different pieces in-between the iso mount and the rack. Usually some sort of post that hooks into the iso mount, and a special rack clamp that has a hole for that post.

I am trying to price out how much this is going to cost and I cant even figure out what parts I need.

If anyone has been in a similar situation and has any knowledge on the matter that would be amazing. I'm open to buy different iso mounts to make this work, preferably on a DW rack.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Rack Setups

A drum rack is usually sold in a package that includes a starter amount of what are called multi-clamps. (If you need more, you can buy them separately from the rack manufacturer.) Their job is to attach things to the rack. Then between the multi-clamps and the drums are the tom mounting arms, usually made by whomever makes your drums. Since YOU made your drums, you need to decide what mounting hardware you need to include on the iso mounts and get a tom mounting arm that matches that bracket.

I've included a picture of my Yamaha tom attached to a rack pipe, and labeled each part. It uses the YESS system, which is Yamaha's suspension system; but if you are using RIMS or something similar, you are free to use any tom mount and arm you choose.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2010, 05:19 PM

Alright, that clears things up a bit. Looks like any rack will work. Now I need to pick out iso mounts and mounting brackets to go with them. Suggestions?
Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

I use Gauger RIMS http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/ he's the "original", and they everyone who makes drums "copies".
On all my RIMS, I use Yamaha tom mounts. And I use all Yamaha tom arms.
The tom arms are 7/8" diameter downtube, which is standard for just about everyone's rack clamps.
I used a Pearl DR-100 rack, for 15 years. That system has grown up to be the Pearl Icon rack.
Now, I have a Yamaha hex rack (two, actually), and that should last me the rest of my life.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

+1 on Gauger RIMS. they have the widest selection to go with your specific drums (diameter x lug number).

I personally like the Yamaha system very well, but virtually any combo of mount and arm will do well.

It may be worth your while, if you live anywhere close to a major drum or music shop, to go in and talk to someone in the drum department, and inspect a few mounts close-up to see what you like and don't like. Often here, it's a very personal decision as to what you can live with or love.

This would also doubtless be a good opportunity for you to look at several makes of rack and see the differences firsthand.

Harry mentioned the Yamaha HexRack, which is not only impressively flexible, but also extremely well made... except currently they don't make it or sell it. Yamaha supposedly has plans to reintroduce it in the near future. In the meantime, major rack manufacturers include Gibraltar, DW/PDP, and Pearl. The DW and PDP products are almost identical (and no less a drummer than Terry Bozzio, Mr. Crazy Huge Drumkit himself, used a PDP rack until they made DW nameplates to put on it).
Old 11-27-2010, 05:43 AM

I have found a way to adapt Yamaha fittings to a Pearl rack.
I have a Pearl DR1 rack with multiclamps which has allegedly done a couple of world tours, it is very strong and rock solid. Since I have a Yamaha kit I needed to adapt the fittings and it just so happens that the standard Pearl gooseneck is the same diameter tube as the Yamaha tubing.

A close look at Yamaha fittings will show that they are held together by pins which are pushed into holes drilled through the tube. These are Rollpins and you can tap them out with a suitable drift and then mount the Yamaha fitting on the Pearl gooseneck. Re-drill the hole and tap the Rollpin back through. That's it. It is reversible too.
If you don't know how to do this ask a mechanic, it is a straightforward operation for someone with the required skills.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
I have found a way to adapt Yamaha fittings to a Pearl rack.
I have a Pearl DR1 rack with multiclamps which has allegedly done a couple of world tours, it is very strong and rock solid. Since I have a Yamaha kit I needed to adapt the fittings and it just so happens that the standard Pearl gooseneck is the same diameter tube as the Yamaha tubing.

A close look at Yamaha fittings will show that they are held together by pins which are pushed into holes drilled through the tube. These are Rollpins and you can tap them out with a suitable drift and then mount the Yamaha fitting on the Pearl gooseneck. Re-drill the hole and tap the Rollpin back through. That's it. It is reversible too.
If you don't know how to do this ask a mechanic, it is a straightforward operation for someone with the required skills.
... I admit to never having actually held a Pearl PC-8 clamp in my hand, but looking at a picture of it, it's made to accept a 7/8" pipe of any make. That should mean that your original Yamaha tom holder could have fit straight into the PC-8 clamp without any modification whatsoever, as it's the same size as a Pearl tom holder. So.... what did all this work get you? A picture might clear up what you mean.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
+1 on Gauger RIMS. they have the widest selection to go with your specific drums (diameter x lug number).

I personally like the Yamaha system very well, but virtually any combo of mount and arm will do well.

It may be worth your while, if you live anywhere close to a major drum or music shop, to go in and talk to someone in the drum department, and inspect a few mounts close-up to see what you like and don't like. Often here, it's a very personal decision as to what you can live with or love.

This would also doubtless be a good opportunity for you to look at several makes of rack and see the differences firsthand.

Harry mentioned the Yamaha HexRack, which is not only impressively flexible, but also extremely well made... except currently they don't make it or sell it. Yamaha supposedly has plans to reintroduce it in the near future. In the meantime, major rack manufacturers include Gibraltar, DW/PDP, and Pearl. The DW and PDP products are almost identical (and no less a drummer than Terry Bozzio, Mr. Crazy Huge Drumkit himself, used a PDP rack until they made DW nameplates to put on it).
Yeah, thats what I did. I live in Seattle so there are quite a few shops around. I essentially decided on a PDP, DW, or Gibraltar rack because of how sturdy they seemed and the look as well. PDP and Gibraltar had side rack's on them which I did not need and were about 360$. Consider these are chrome plated racks. (not a fan of chrome plating). The DW rack I found out was made of stainless steel and was only 330$ and did not come with a side rack.

So I went with the DW and picked it up today.

Talking to the people in the store I just need to decide on which hoops and mounting brackets to purchase because the multi-clamps on the rack will connect to just about anything.

I have read a lot about how the Gauger rims are legit but they are also expensive and I am not a total fan of the looks. Lots of people claim that other knock off mounts warp your drums and are not worth it. Is this the general consensus or is this just a sales plot? I was thinking about trying to get some of the DW lug mounts or some of the gretsch iso mounts directly from those manufacturers if they will sell them to me.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
... I admit to never having actually held a Pearl PC-8 clamp in my hand, but looking at a picture of it, it's made to accept a 7/8" pipe of any make. That should mean that your original Yamaha tom holder could have fit straight into the PC-8 clamp without any modification whatsoever, as it's the same size as a Pearl tom holder. So.... what did all this work get you? A picture might clear up what you mean.
Although the 7/8 tubing fits the clamp the drum is too low and the range of adjustment is very limited. Putting the Yamaha ball on top of a Pearl arm raises the tom and still allows the YESS mount with all its advantages. Maybe there is a better way of doing it but this is mine.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

My gigging kit with Yamaha tom holders into Pearl multiclamps on a Pearl Icon rack. Certainly my preferred option. Easy, compact, neat, reliable, with more adjustment than you'll ever need.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Although the 7/8 tubing fits the clamp the drum is too low and the range of adjustment is very limited. Putting the Yamaha ball on top of a Pearl arm raises the tom and still allows the YESS mount with all its advantages. Maybe there is a better way of doing it but this is mine.
Gotcha. Didn't understand what you were saying you did, nor why you did it. So it was really that the rack was too short for you, it seems. That's really odd... I could have sworn those racks were taller. Maybe you bought it used from someone who shortened the legs...?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Gold Member

+1 for the Pearl Icon. Square shape means clamps are literally unable to slip. Sturdy rack, it will certainly last a long time.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEAST View Post

I have read a lot about how the Gauger rims are legit but they are also expensive and I am not a total fan of the looks. Lots of people claim that other knock off mounts warp your drums and are not worth it. Is this the general consensus or is this just a sales plot?
Not the greatest pic, (and not on a rack), but these are the Gibraltar GTS mounts:

I imagine they are less expensive than the Gauger and by default will accept just about any mfg's mounting system where Gauger needs a different plate to mount anything but an L-rod. I can't say I've ever heard of, or experienced any warping. There is a bit of play between the drum and the mount, meaning that there isn't any tension that would cause the warping. When installing them, I do find they can be a bit tight - but being patient and not forcing them will allow you to find the sweet spot where they sit just perfect.