DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Default Just something I wanna double check...

Hi folks, how are we all?

I'm going into the studio tommoro to lay down some drum parts and I just want to double check something about the snare sound in studio.

I was planning on tuning it much the same as I would live, full-bodied, lot's of crack and importantly no dampening with ring allowed to sound out. I know leaving the ringyness in the sound helps live, as once all the other instruments are brought in you don't hear the ring per-se, rather those high frequcies help the snare cut through the barrage of other frequencies.

Would this principle apply for recording? I'm thinking that leaving the tone and ring will help the snare retain a good full sound once it's been EQ'd and compressed etc...the ethos being that I leave as much there in terms of sound and frequency range for the engineer to work with.

Just for you information, I'm running a Premier Artist Brass series; 14"x6.5" with a Remo Ambassador Snare-side tuned to A and a Remo Fiberskyn 3 Ambassador on the batter side tuned to C.

Hope you're all keeping well,

Kev
Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Just something I wanna double check...

I wouldn't worry about tuning it at all, just go in there and play it how it lays, maybe even detune it to where you think it sounds horrible, then if the recording is a hit, you'll be credited for a 'new/fresh' snare drum sound.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

This would be a tough call because I don't know what the end result is that you guys are going for. Does the song call for a dead Alan Jackson kinda' vibe? Or a Bill Bruford ringy Roundabout vibe? A nice Steve Jordan crack? It would depend on what's right for the song. I would be prepared for them to like what you have, or they may want to dampen it down a bit, eh? I got to do a session years ago where I played the kit that was already there. It sounded very strange in the room, but once on tape it came alive!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

As Bo said, it totally depends on what you're going for.

Usually I start out with what I would do live, and adjust from there if necessary.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 AM

Thanks for the input guys,

The sound I'm going for is full bodied with definition. I'll experiment, good thing is I've got from 9am to 7pm to do my tracks so there's plenty of time to try different tunings and levels of dampening etc.

To be honest the tuning side of things is something I'm confident in when it's a live environment but the studio is a whole seperate realm and the last time I recorded was three or four years ago and at that point I was shall we say..."blissfully ignorant" to the actual sound of my drums and tuning. Now that I've got a grasp on making my drums sound the way I want them live I need to apply all of that learning process to making or at least aiding my drums to sound how I want them to once recorded.

Hope you're all well and thanks again :)

Kev
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Tune the way that you always tune and do a few quick sample tracks and play them back.
You will be able to dial in the sound that you want in a short time,
Most of the snare sound will be altered by the engineer.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Most of the snare sound will be altered by the engineer.
This is very true indeed.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Its no different:

The studio like any live situation is always going to be different, different in respect to the room shape/size. Since as a rule you 'always' tune to the room, its no different in the studio. No sense in expecting drums to sound good pre-tuned, you have to tune on the spot, there's simply no way around it to get the most out of your drums sound.

Dial into sweetness (or whatever you're looking for) at the scene, especially in a recording studio. The distance of the side walls and ceiling from the drum heads define what sounds the drum(s) will produce. Acoustic drums rely on spacing, the sound waves need to work in harmony between the walls, floor, ceiling and drum heads to get a full sound.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Its no different:

The studio like any live situation is always going to be different, different in respect to the room shape/size. Since as a rule you 'always' tune to the room, its no different in the studio.
Aye, I do as a matter of course when setting up in a different room. I've got a list of regular places I play and rehearse and what kind of tuning works for them. It's true that a drum never sounds the same in any one room.

Well I can happily report all went well today and I got a really nice sound, I used several tunings for different songs and even different sticks for different songs as the size and weight of sticks will bring out many different sounds from the same tuning. For instance with my own usual tuning I found my Vic Firth BR's gave the snare a really fat tone with a lot of gutteral bottom, however when I used my Vater 7a's it gave a more focused, toppy sound with a drastically reduced bottom end.

What a fun game this is!

Kev