DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 AM

Default puresound wires not so good as i thought they would be

Hey there guys
just wanted to let you know my experience with this: i have just got a 7x14 snare with the custom 24 strand wires and really, they are worse than one of the cheap wires ive got on other snare. how come?
it has terrible sensitivity, terrible buzz, terrible sound when doing press rolls and not too good sound overall...
i guess ill try the 20 strand brass wires...
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: puresound wires not so good as i thought they would be

Could be the depth and size of the snare beds on the drum in question. I've only had ONE drum that didn't respond well to the PS replacement wires in place and it was the particular cut and design of the beds on the 9 ply maple shell that worked PERFECTLY with the stock 20 strand wires that came with it... the PS Custom 20's DID NOT and rattled horribly loose at each butt end on the head with the wires snugged up to my normal tension. You could shake the drum and hear them rattling about when tight...not good :{

BAD match for the snare beds on this drum.......

Here's a pic of the "working" factory combo below which shows the fine bed cut that works well with the 20 strand factory wires in place.

Got my money back no questions by the way when I told them they didn't work with my snare drum.

Could be the same situation for you {?}......
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 AM

it is a segmented snare
7 inches deep, wood hoops, it should be sensitive; but the snare response sucks.
the wires ive got in the other snare are even cheeper than the ones youve shown me...
Old 10-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpietscheck View Post
it is a segmented snare
7 inches deep, wood hoops, it should be sensitive; but the snare response sucks.
the wires ive got in the other snare are even cheeper than the ones youve shown me...
Well the question is how did the drum respond with the stock wires in place... better? If so cheaper or the basic design of the inexpensive stock wires may very be "better" for your particular drum.

The factory wires {which are actually of pretty decent quality} as shown make the drum sound in my case sound like a million bucks especially when it's needed for use in the unforgiving "ears" of the rec. studio which it has and is....if it's not broke don't fix it as the old story goes as I was reminded of :}

Like I said some replacement wires regardless of extra cost DON'T always work with the size and cut on certain snare beds on various snare drums out there and the factory ones which came with the drum DO with great success for a crisp responsive snappy sounding happy snare. Stick with those if they deliver in that case and save some money too.

Good luck narrowing down what works......

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 10-31-2010, 07:50 AM
audiotech

Also a lot of difference can be found in which method you're mounting the snares. I sometimes find a hugh difference between the string type method as shown in the photo and that of the Mylar or or cloth like straps. I have and use all three depending on if I'm having trouble getting the sound I expect from my snare drums. I do use several Puresound wires and really never had any major problems with them, although I've never used anything more than 20 strand configurations. I believe anything over 20 is an overkill and an invitation for an increase in sympathetic buzz. The snare drum tuning plays a major role in how the wires will respond to the snare head and the particular sound you're after.

Dennis
Old 10-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Also a lot of difference can be found in which method you're mounting the snares. I sometimes find a hugh difference between the string type method as shown in the photo and that of the Mylar or or cloth like straps. I have and use all three depending on if I'm having trouble getting the sound I expect from my snare drums. I do use several Puresound wires and really never had any major problems with them, although I've never used anything more than 20 strand configurations. I believe anything over 20 is an overkill and an invitation for an increase in sympathetic buzz. The snare drum tuning plays a major role in how the wires will respond to the snare head and the particular sound you're after.

Dennis
Just for the record that's super thin but super strong blue coated aircraft cable you see in my photo Dennis.

Best stuff i've found so far for the maple shell drum that came with my first set of PS 20 strand Customs which work GREAT on my 14" phosphor bronze snare combined with a central nylon strap for its snare beds by the way. Each drum likes a different type of strapping funny enough for best results..again it's the individual beds on the drums. Not so unfortunately for the 20 strand PS Customs wires on the 14" maple shell drum I learned with any strap combo in place. Totally different bed cut on that drum as stated which only loves the design of the stock wires and aircraft cable combo for making a happy sounding drum.

You nailed it Dennis too on wider snares on certain drums coming with intended smaller factory wires for drum bed design. The beds just can't work with the wider ones in many cases. Another fly in the {snare wire} ointment to true success.......

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan

Last edited by Steamer; 10-31-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Try clipping off the center 6 wires. You might be surprised at how this could actually increase the sensitivity while also reducing sympathetic snare buzz. You sound like you are planning on junking this set of snares after all, so it's worth a shot.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Puresound wires are excellent, I've got them on all of my snares. Your problem is definitely related to something else. Maybe the snare wires are damaged, stretched out, not installed properly on the drum, bad snare beds, etc.