DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-27-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Remo UT Heads?

Hey, i believe they are called UT heads, or something along the lines, but they are the heads that come with a lot of kits. For example my ludwig came with a full set with "ludwig" printed on them and on the bottom its says UT Remo made in china or something along those lines.

Anyway i was just wondering if anyone knows how thick (in mils) they are? i believe they are single ply and i kind of want to use them as a reference point to determine what difference the number of plies, and thickness have and etc. Im using EC2's right now which sound good, but i feel like its still not quite the sound im looking for.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Remo UT Heads?

Remo UT's are extremely thin, probably thinner than Diplomats. I'd suggest using Ambassadors (and their Evans counterpart, G1) as your benchmark because they are somewhere in the middle. If you are looking for a more open sound, I'd suggest starting there.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCRAPRE View Post
Remo UT's are extremely thin, probably thinner than Diplomats. I'd suggest using Ambassadors (and their Evans counterpart, G1) as your benchmark because they are somewhere in the middle. If you are looking for a more open sound, I'd suggest starting there.
Really? I pounded the hell out of mine for a few months when I got my Force 3007s and they never even so much as dented... those drums still sounded great with them on too.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Gold Member

I have new 3007s also. They just sound great with thin heads, or any head for that matter.
Plus, you obviously know the proper way to strike the drum head.
Hence the whole no dents thing.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

Remo UT heads are Remo's Chinese-made heads, but the UT alone doesn't tell you what type of head it is.

If they're marked "BA Batter" they're Ambassador-weight (10 mil) film, BD heads are Diplomat-weight (7 mil). Remo UT also makes Pinstripes, but I don't know if they're marked "BP" or something else.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos_Inferno View Post
Really? I pounded the hell out of mine for a few months when I got my Force 3007s and they never even so much as dented... those drums still sounded great with them on too.
I must be confusing the UT's for the UK's. The UK's are awful!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
Remo UT heads are Remo's Chinese-made heads, but the UT alone doesn't tell you what type of head it is.

If they're marked "BA Batter" they're Ambassador-weight (10 mil) film, BD heads are Diplomat-weight (7 mil). Remo UT also makes Pinstripes, but I don't know if they're marked "BP" or something else.
I believe I remember mine being UT BA ones... so that would make sense to me.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCRAPRE View Post
I must be confusing the UT's for the UK's. The UK's are awful!
To each, his own....that's a given. Some guys like 'em and if so, that's fine by me. However, I have a foot firmly planted in your camp.....UT's/UK's....no difference in my book. The are both vastly inferior products for mine. I'm not saying a drum can't sound good with them on, but I'm an avid believer that it'll sound even better with a decent head upgrade. Personally, the first thing I would do with a new kit containing stock heads such as Remo UT or UK, is swap 'em out.

Remo seem to be notoriously tight lipped when it comes to info. on the UT/UK's....other than stating that the heads are crimped into the collar, they leave any info. on the specs and any comparison to Ambassadors or Diplomats, out of the equation. But FWIW, Winston is on the money as far as i can gather.

This was taken from another forum that I stumbled across when trying to find out info on them a while back:

The Remo UT heads are made in our factory in China. They are made using the same Dupont Mylar film as is used on the Remo USA WeatherKing head. The difference is in the construction of the head.

Whereas the US head is made using a poured channel technique, the China heads are crimped. The aluminum hoop is folded over a steel ring that is inserted in the U-channel to hold the film in place. In terms of sound quality, the UT head is excellent due to the high quality film that we use.

Remo UK heads are also made in the same factory in China. These heads are designed for the entry-level kit and use a Korean film that still has good sound and durability features. Though not as good as Dupont Mylar film, it is far better than any of the cheap, local supply of film in China.

Many drum companies will utilize both models across various levels of quality in their production. For the a good entry-level kit, most companies opt for UK heads. For their mid-range kits, they will opt for the better UT heads.

Best Regards,
Robert Shen

Robert Shen
Vice President - Remo Asia
Remo, Inc.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
To each, his own....that's a given. Some guys like 'em and if so, that's fine by me. However, I have a foot firmly planted in your camp.....UT's/UK's....no difference in my book. The are both vastly inferior products for mine. I'm not saying a drum can't sound good with them on, but I'm an avid believer that it'll sound even better with a decent head upgrade. Personally, the first thing I would do with a new kit containing stock heads such as Remo UT or UK, is swap 'em out.

Remo seem to be notoriously tight lipped when it comes to info. on the UT/UK's....other than stating that the heads are crimped into the collar, they leave any info. on the specs and any comparison to Ambassadors or Diplomats, out of the equation. But FWIW, Winston is on the money as far as i can gather.

This was taken from another forum that I stumbled across when trying to find out info on them a while back:

The Remo UT heads are made in our factory in China. They are made using the same Dupont Mylar film as is used on the Remo USA WeatherKing head. The difference is in the construction of the head.

Whereas the US head is made using a poured channel technique, the China heads are crimped. The aluminum hoop is folded over a steel ring that is inserted in the U-channel to hold the film in place. In terms of sound quality, the UT head is excellent due to the high quality film that we use.

Remo UK heads are also made in the same factory in China. These heads are designed for the entry-level kit and use a Korean film that still has good sound and durability features. Though not as good as Dupont Mylar film, it is far better than any of the cheap, local supply of film in China.

Many drum companies will utilize both models across various levels of quality in their production. For the a good entry-level kit, most companies opt for UK heads. For their mid-range kits, they will opt for the better UT heads.

Best Regards,
Robert Shen

Robert Shen
Vice President - Remo Asia
Remo, Inc.
Yeah thats what i did, i switched straight to clear EC2's upon getting the kit, and now i am kind of wondering about the ones that came with it. I put a coated ambassador on my snare and noticed that the UT head that came on the snare was thicker and heavier. Anyway tommorow i will throw the stock ones back on just to see the difference
Old 10-28-2010, 04:03 AM
Gold Member

My Mapex Meridian kit shipped with Remo UT heads and even though I switched out most of them I kept the stock heads on the 16" floor tom until I got some of my usual choice of heads for the 16".

I was really impressed with them. It had everything I'd expect from a clear Ambassador sonically, but I have to admit I think the crimped collar is an improvement over the glued collar on domestic Remo heads.

Clear Ambassadors aren't my sound, but as far as quality goes I don't think there's anything wrong with the Remo UT heads. They're quite a bit better than most of the alternatives I've seen as stock heads on entry and mid-level kits.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Agree, the UTs are a decent head. I still have the UT BD batter that came with my kit. It's a clear 2 ply and has a mylar (or some sort of frosted plastic) ring, presumably an overtone control ring. Can anyone tell me what the Remo US equivalent BD batter head is?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madidus View Post
Agree, the UTs are a decent head. I still have the UT BD batter that came with my kit. It's a clear 2 ply and has a mylar (or some sort of frosted plastic) ring, presumably an overtone control ring. Can anyone tell me what the Remo US equivalent BD batter head is?
I think that might be a Powerstroke 3. I only say that because I have one and it has an overtone ring. I don't know if it's single or two ply though.

EDIT: Powerstroke 4

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...erstroke4.html
Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 AM

That looks like the UT head on my BD. Thanks, now I know what to replace it with!
Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

I got UT's with my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau kit. I replaced them immediately with Aquarian coated Studio X batters and Classic Clear resos. The bass drum head had a Powerstroke style head - but was still a UT. Again I replaced it with a SuperKick I.

I only tapped a bit on the stock heads but enough to know I didn't care for the general sound.
Even with getting a great deal, I spent a chunk of change on the top of the line kit at the time (2004). I just couldn't see getting a 'generally good' or 'OK' sound instead of a great sound. On a lower end kit and if I didn't have the dough, I might have kept the stocks for a while and just worked with them.

It's not just that in terms of general sound quality, I felt the UT heads were inferior to the off the shelf heads - which unfortunately I did. I wanted a different sound i.e. coated vs. clear with a bit of slight edge dampening on the toms (Studio X) and more defined dampening on the bass drum (Super Kick I). I never looked back and sold the unplayed stock heads for about $50 on eBay. The seller was glad to get them and I was happy to throw that money in the drum head 'kitty'.

I've read posts where players love the sound of their drums with the stock heads. I know the UT's are a step up from other no name stock heads. I just haven't experienced playing on stock heads where I was satisfied with the sound.

My .02, YMMV

Jim

Jim Martin Music