DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

Default Axis pedal questions

I plan on buying and Axis A longboard double pedal soon and i was wondering if you all could tell me how it will work out if i upgrade the part to the 21 part on the main pedal? Does the pedal work great after the upgrade? Is it easy to do the upgrade?

Also, since the main pedal is the only one that needs the 21 upgrade i was told that the slave pedal is adjusted to match the main pedal with the 21 upgrade with the conecting rod from the slave pedal to the main. Could someone explane how to to this so i will know how to do it so i can line the slave and main pedals up to where the foot board hights will be the same and to where the feel will be the same?

Also, how much does the 21 part cost in the US?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Axis pedal questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
I plan on buying and Axis A longboard double pedal soon and i was wondering if you all could tell me how it will work out if i upgrade the part to the 21 part on the main pedal? Does the pedal work great after the upgrade? Is it easy to do the upgrade?

Also, since the main pedal is the only one that needs the 21 upgrade i was told that the slave pedal is adjusted to match the main pedal with the 21 upgrade with the conecting rod from the slave pedal to the main. Could someone explane how to to this so i will know how to do it so i can line the slave and main pedals up to where the foot board hights will be the same and to where the feel will be the same?

Also, how much does the 21 part cost in the US?

Thanks!

Wait till you get them, try em, you may not feel you need the A21 option, which basically gives more power. Its like putting a blower/supercharger on an already strong race motor, might be overkill for you.

The conversion vid is on YouTube here
The two locking clips @1:45 (dude calls em 'washers') are the hardest thing about the conversion. Pay attention to @ 4:44 also.

Since the AXIS foot board anomaly still exists (foot board and beater angle not independently adjustable), adjusting the slave pedals #1 to 21 degrees will raise the slaves foot board, it won't match the main pedals angle which may or may not work for you.

My advise is "Don't think you need the 21 degree conversion till you try out the one you're getting."
Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Wait till you get them, try em, you may not feel you need the A21 option, which basically gives more power. Its like putting a blower/supercharger on an already strong race motor, might be overkill for you.

The conversion vid is on YouTube here
The two locking clips @1:45 (dude calls em 'washers') are the hardest thing about the conversion. Pay attention to @ 4:44 also.

Since the AXIS foot board anomaly still exists (foot board and beater angle not independently adjustable), adjusting the slave pedals #1 to 21 degrees will raise the slaves foot board, it won't match the main pedals angle which may or may not work for you.

My advise is "Don't think you need the 21 degree conversion till you try out the one you're getting."
I had an Axis A longboard about 4 years ago and i felt that it did not have enough power.

You said that the slave pedal board angle will not match the main pedal board angle. Are you saing that with the 21 part on the main pedal I wont be able to match the slave pedal board angle to the main pedal board angle? If so why not? Also, i was told by Axis when i talked with them a few months ago that only the main pedal needs the 21 part upgrade not the slave pedal. They told me that the connecting rod from the slave pedal to the main pedal is where i would line up the pedals. So i was told that i would not need to add the 21 part to the slave pedal to line up the pedals when i have the 21 part on the main pedal.

It is important to me to be able to make sure that the foot board hights are the same on the slave and main pedals as well as the beater angles. Are you saying that this is impossible when the main pedal has the 21 part upgrade? I just want to make sure.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Getting the two footboards to match again is a pretty straightforward operation, since the telescoping rod of the slave drive shaft is round instead of hexagonal.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
I had an Axis A longboard about 4 years ago and i felt that it did not have enough power.

Are you saing that with the 21 part on the main pedal I wont be able to match the slave pedal board angle to the main pedal board angle? i was told by Axis when i talked with them a few months ago that only the main pedal needs the 21 part upgrade not the slave pedal. They told me that the connecting rod from the slave pedal to the main pedal is where i would line up the pedals.

Are you saying that this is impossible when the main pedal has the 21 part upgrade? I just want to make sure.

Look at the 21 degree #1 piece, its angled. If you move the stock slaves 'beater #1' to 21 degrees, the beater will be too far back, it won't line-up with the main which has the 21 degree #1 piece.

There seems to be confusion... you want the #1 that's connected to the slaves foot board at a 21 degree angle, not the slave side #1 that holds the slaves beater. So if you jack the slave pedals (non 21 degree/stock) #1 to 21 degrees it'll raise the slaves foot board.

You could down-shim the foot board, it may or may not be an exact match to the main pedal foot board angle, though definitely the feel would be different.

So honestly, for an AXIS A double pedal to convert to an A-21, you'd need three 21 degree #1 pieces to make it copasetic.

I play the AXIS X model, no need for the 21 degrees, its already set for max power due to its stock geometry.

.................................................. .........
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have nothing to add, except good job not buying the pearl demon drive.