DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Remo Black X Heads?

Hey drumming community,

I've just been looking around at different snare drum heads (I've always used Remo Ambassadors because every drummer I know has rated those as number 1) and I stumbled across the Remo 'Black X'. Is there any real difference between a 'normal' white head and the Black X? I've recently bought a Mapex 'Black Widow' snare to add to my collection and before sticking to the old tried and tested Ambassador I thought I'd have a look around and lo and behold I find the Black X. I personally think a black head on a black snare would look awesome, but is there any difference in sound from these heads?

Thanks!

www.youtube.com/ecdrumcovers

Twitter- @ed_copestake
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Remo Black X Heads?

The Black X head is like a Remo Emperor X snare head, but in a black suede version. So, this would be extremely thick and boxy sounding. Having used the Emperor X, I would not recommend it.

I have a Remo Black Suede Emperor on my snare, which is two 7.5 mil plies versus two 7 mil plies on a regular Coated Emperor. It sounds a little drier and a little meatier than a standard Emperor, but it still has plenty of sensitivity. This is the same finish as the Black X, just in a much more versatile model.

By the way, I have a John Tempesta signature snare, which is black nickel finish. The black snare head does look cool as hell, the problem is, no one sees it but you.

I love the Black Suede Emperor and would use it again strictly for the sound, not the color.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 AM

I LOVE the sound of the Black Snare X head! Its got great warmth similar to regular coated head, durable since its double ply with reverse dot, and even had openess and some ring for it being double ply. And if its too much it just becomes a matter of a piece of moongel or two. Sweet heads!
reverbnation.com/vitosus
Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

black X's are beefy. two ply of 10mil with a 3mil dot if i recall correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7scPZS3zfKM here's an example. :)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
black X's are beefy. two ply of 10mil with a 3mil dot if i recall correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7scPZS3zfKM here's an example. :)
Dang, that's like hitting a thin sheet of plywood.

I've ha to tune an Emperor X to sound good before, and because of its thickness it had to be cranked petty high )as well as the reso head) before I got any viable signs of snare response.

The Black suede heads aren't bad, but I'd stay away from the Black X if you don' want to have to crank your head.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Just replaced Evans Single Ply heads with Remo Double Ply, pretty much, on my kits and I am impressed with the changes...Snare - Black X (6.5x14) Toms - Emporer Black Suede (12 & 16)...Black X doesn't sound boxy at all...In fact nice and crisp with no overtones or ringing...The 16" Tom I've used 2 tiny pieces of Moon Gel to reduce sustain slightly...Sound great...My other kit I went with Vintage A (6.5x14 Snare & 16" Tom) and Emporer X on Toms (13 & 14) and have no muffling on any of them...Both kicks (22 & 24) still have Evans EMad with smallest foam and 2" Strip of Felt on Reso heads...I do like an open tone and I am getting it this way...Remo X and Vintage are really cool in my opinion...Gretsch Renown in Granite Silver Sparkle with Black Heads...Similar to Travis Barker head selection...Black X on snare...