DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Default Till I get an A-kit....

I have played a Roland TD-12 for awhile but I plan on getting my first a-kit next year. In the mean time, I have set up a 'hybrid' kit. I have my TD-12 connected to a PD-105 and a PD-125 and my KD-85. The cymbals are all Paiste Twenty Series and the snare is a Ludwig Black Beauty. The cymbals and snare are mic'd so I run them and the TD-12 through a mixer to headphones.

What I'd like to do is make my transition from playing e-toms and kick to playing a-toms and kick less 'noticeable'. I think the biggest difference in feel is that e-pads have much more bounce then a's.

So, I assume that I could probably do a couple things to make e's and a's more similar. Such as just loosening up the pad tension on my e-toms and kick. Or also maybe changing parameters in the module such as sensitivity.

What do you guys think? Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Till I get an A-kit....

I'm taking it to understand that you have mesh heads set up on your e-kit. If so, I would advise you to not make any real sweeping changes with tension or tuning. The heads probably give just a little more bounce, but not so severe that you'll be lost on mylar heads. Your transition isn't going to be nearly that drastic, in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I'm taking it to understand that you have mesh heads set up on your e-kit. If so, I would advise you to not make any real sweeping changes with tension or tuning. The heads probably give just a little more bounce, but not so severe that you'll be lost on mylar heads. Your transition isn't going to be nearly that drastic, in my opinion.
Thanks.

Yes, mesh heads. Iv'e read that playing an acoustic after being used to playing e-drums can be a difficult transition because of that familiar bounce that the mesh heads give you is no longer there. I purposely got an a-snare early to get used to playing it and the acoustic HH together.

There has been a big difference in my opinion between playing this setup and my VH-11/PD-125. The abundance of subtle tones and nuances has been a real eye opener and has taken awhile to get used to. I didn't want playing the a-toms and kick to be the same.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Those "subtle tones and nuances" exist more abundantly on the hats, cymbals and snare in everyday playing than they do on the toms or bass... mostly because they are where most folks try to achieve nuanced play. Very few people do more with the toms or kick than hit straight-on notes.

Having played mesh heads on my acoustic drums for many years for practicing in low-noise environments, I can tell you honestly that the transition was not very jarring for me at all. If anything, the varied size of the drums themselves (as opposed to the single size for the Roland pads) may make navigation around the kit immediately more challenging, but not for too long. The motions are the motions, the hits are the hits, and I don't think you're going to notice bounce (or lack thereof) that much at all.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Those "subtle tones and nuances" exist more abundantly on the hats, cymbals and snare in everyday playing than they do on the toms or bass... mostly because they are where most folks try to achieve nuanced play. Very few people do more with the toms or kick than hit straight-on notes.

Good point, that makes sense. Thanks