12x9 tom
13x10 tom
14x11 tom
14x14 floor tom
16x16 floor tom
18x16 floor tom
5.5x14 Birch snare

all for $2250?

Is that a good deal? no hardware.. cymbals... JUST A SHELL PACK? its CUSTOM! CUSTOM FINISH! CUSTOM hoops? straight from the tama factory! good deal?

I plan on getting paiste alpha's as well. and gibraltar rack (CUSTOM), and gibraltar hardware?Axis pedals. the hardware will cost me a good 1500

the cymbals are going to cost me a good 2500

so a total for everything is $6250

Good deal? for a mid level thrasher metal kit?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Tama superstar *review this kit*

Well, I'm to tired right now to do the math but check what they would cost if you bought a standard kit (22, 10, 12, 16, 14) and then bought the extra stuff separately.

Have you just started playing drums? Because you're talking about a kit that's bigger then Nicko Mcbrain (drummer in Iron Maiden) which has IMO a very big kit. So if you're a mid level drummer I would recommend something a bit smaller. Something like 4 toms instead of the double?
And have in mind that you might want to buy a new snare sometime after you buy the kit (and that's an extra $250-400 bill)
Is this price alot of money for you?

Either way, if you do buy this stuff you have to PROMISE to post atleast 10pics of the lot.
Good night.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

are you ever going to REALLY need that many toms? that's a huge amount of money to spend on drums, personally I'd buy something pro level with less drums, a couple of nice snares, nicer cymbals, nice cases, good drum mics...but that's just me
Old 10-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XdrumerboyX View Post
so a total for everything is $6250

Good deal? for a mid level thrasher metal kit?
Hold onto your $6K ... for now, and keep playing whatever it is that you have. ...... and wait 5 years .....
Old 10-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
are you ever going to REALLY need that many toms? that's a huge amount of money to spend on drums, personally I'd buy something pro level with less drums, a couple of nice snares, nicer cymbals, nice cases, good drum mics...but that's just me
I play thrasher metal.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I play thrasher metal.
Even so, 9 toms are whole lot of toms... I assume thrasher metal is or is something similar to thrash metal. I have played thrash, death, power and heavy metal on a regular 5 piece and it has worked fine. It wouldn't hurt with one or maybe two extra toms but an extra 6? Three floor toms?

Do you play in a band that can fill atleast 1000 people on a gig? 'Cause I don't see any point having a kit that extremely large for a smaller gig then that. Have also in mind all the roading (spelling?).
You're talking about a kit the size of a drummer that yours all over the world with a super well known rock/metal band.

If you have a budget of $6.000 you can IMO find something much better then that.
I play a 5 piece (soon to be 6 piece) Tama Superstar kit.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But im still on my shitty Gamon drum set and i've been on that shit hole for almost 2 years.
Perhaps the bigger question would be, "do you play the crap out of what you have?"

If that's the case, then by all means, get what you want. If you have the $6500 now and want to spend it, make yourself happy. But if you get them, post a video of you with your band, and the playing isn't stellar, at least you would've made yourself happy and have something to works towards.

Personally, I think less but better drums, best cymbals, for that amount would be a better investment. But a friend of mine bought a 5-piece Superstar kit and he loves it, I got a chance to play them and they are surprisingly good drums. I played Tama Superstars back in the '80s when they were considered top-of-the-line. I've since moved up to Starclassic Bubinga Elites, I guess I've come full circle.

For what you're buying, have you considered how much the cases would be? That's a pretty big investment too. And of course, as soon as you get all those drums, re-heading them with proper heads will also be an over $350 investment too (it costs me over $100 to re-head my 5-piece about every other month). And I'm assuming you own a large van or an open-bed truck for transport?