DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Default I HATE BEING IN A BAND SOMETIMES

This rant goes out to all of you Drummers that gig on a regular basis. I am in a band right now that gigs every weekend I get payed well and its like a part time job I love it. We get great gigsThe boss/ leader. He picks the songs gets the gigs provides rehersal space , even a roland T.D 12 kit for me to use so practices are at a quiet level. Now some decides to send him an email stating we need to play more challenging material and the tunes we play are boring. Thanks to that persons genius thinking the band is most likely going to dispand after 2 years of hard work. I like to play challenging stuff as well. THATS WHY I PLAY IN OTHER BANDS. I play in a big band ensemble. a band that does current material. and get together with other musicians once a month and play fusion. This band plays classic rock. I am so pissed off about this. If this guy wants to play more challenging stuff join another band don't bring your guitar god music into this. I have a blast playing in front hundreds sometimes thousands. Besides when you play guitar god stuff know one in the crowd could care less. Why can't people keep there mouth shut. Quit or play in another band. Thanks a lot Bandmate you just slashed my income because you and some others are bored playing the same songs every weekend. I hope they never go on tour and have to play the same songs every night for six months straight. I'M PISSED. I just need to vent. Thanks for reading.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc

Last edited by yesdog; 10-14-2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: miss spelled
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I HATE BEING IN A BAND SOMETIMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
This rant goes out to all of you Drummers that gig on a regular basis. I am in a band right now that gigs every weekend I get payed well and its like a part time job I love it. We get great gigsThe boss/ leader. He picks the songs gets the gigs provides rehersal space , even a roland T.D 12 kit for me to use so practices are at a quiet level. Now some decides to send him an email stating we need to play more challenging material and the tunes we play are boring. Thanks to that persons genius thinking the band is most likely going to dispand after 2 years of hard work.
Why do you think the band is most likely going to break up?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member

Stay tight with the band leader Doggie....if you're happy with the way he's been calling it, stick with him. Can't you either replace the guitarist or just pull his head in, rather than throw the baby out with the bath water and disband?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a bit confused myself?
I read your post twice and I think that I am missing some points that you need to clarify.

Please elaborate further.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Excellent rant, Doggie :)

I'm thinking like Pocket ... why not just replace Mr Guitar God and keep things going?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 AM
Destroy1
This message has been deleted by Destroy1.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Gold Member

At least the guitar god isn't the band leader.

If the guitarist pushes for more guitar worshipping stuff, then calmly and respectfully tell him no. If he keeps going, say it again. If he leaves because he can't get his solo, that's his loss.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy1 View Post
Guitar God needs to G.T.H.
That's what I was thinking.
I didn't understand why the rest of the band didn't tell him so.
I was wondering if their wasn't more to the story.

Your band is not broken, You shouldn't try and fix it. You are getting gigs and working.
The guitar player is wrong!
Don't change a thing.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Dealing with other musicians is always the hardest part of being in a band.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 AM

im with everyone else on this but maybe you guys could play songs that he has fun in thats still simple for the rest........none off the top of my head that even remotely relates to classic rock lol..... or just throw in an extra chorus every few songs tell him to solo and b happy with it lol

i dont know just thrown ideas out there
above all try to make it work it has to b nice to get payed to play drums!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 AM

From my personal experiences, when some band member is thinking he's better than the band, it's time to kick him out. I was in a band where we ignored it until it got to the point where the band as a whole lacked enthusiasm and dedication and just died really. That was fairly depressing, and you don't want it to reach that stage.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin412 View Post
im with everyone else on this but maybe you guys could play songs that he has fun in thats still simple for the rest........none off the top of my head that even remotely relates to classic rock lol..... or just throw in an extra chorus every few songs tell him to solo and b happy with it lol

i dont know just thrown ideas out there
above all try to make it work it has to b nice to get payed to play drums!
we play forplay long time from boston , seen all good people from yes all the way down to give me shelter. we play some challenging stuff and simple stuff. I don't know why people need to rock the boat. the way we have always done it is over the winter when festival season is over we play every other weekend. and take a month off of giging to learn new material for the summer. we stick with the same songs for the whole summer. that way things are nice and tight. We backed up the Gin Blossoms and we were only suppost to play from 5 to 6:15, we ended up playing to 7:00 the croud wanted more and more. the man in charge let us play. The gin Blossoms were pissed because we cut into there start time. Guitar players are a dime a dozen. there are nine people in this band and we are finally dialed in. I told one of the guitar players go on tour with a major act for a year playing the same songs over every night and making it sound fresh and put on a killer show. The reason we play a certain set of songs is so they sound tight and know them in your sleep so you can concentrate on putting on a great show with confidence, every thing is tight and mostly mistake free night after night. thats what we do and we put on a pro performance. I will do what I can to keep things together. Thanks for the advice and input.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

My simple advise to you is just be a sideman. Its awesome. I gave up on the band thing like 20 years ago and it has served me well with tons less agrevation.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I'm a bit confused myself?
I read your post twice and I think that I am missing some points that you need to clarify.

Please elaborate further.
Bob, the simple version is we got steady gigs getting payed. the band leader provides The P.a practice space takes us out to dinner has us over for partys and a couple of guys decide to tell him that are songs are not challenging enough and its getting boring. so now the band leader was insulted and pissed off and is thinking of getting out of it. I agree with the band leader. he is a wealthy person who has invested thousands of dollers into this band. I am just a hired gun. I show up prepaired and early and never bitch or noodle during practice. And I have a great time doing it. like I said in my first post I like to play other music thats more challenging as well so I do it in other bands.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Guitar players are a dime a dozen.
Agreed.
Quote:
there are nine people in this band and we are finally dialed in.
That's quite a large band.
Quote:
I told one of the guitar players...
And if you have more than one to start with, there really shouldn't be a problem. Let the "guitar gawd" walk, and wish him well. Your "other" guitarist becomes "first chair" now. With eight people "still in the band", .... probably no one's gonna even "miss" the cat who wants out.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry to hear about this mess Scott. I very much understand your band leader's position. We've just worked through a similar situation. I suggest that you, and other like thinking band mates, support the leader & let him know how appreciated his efforts are. He should come round after a while. If he doesn't, then he's as "precious" as the unhappy guitarist.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 AM

9 people. My God I don't know how you have kept it together this long! Honestly I would stick like glue to the leader dude. He sounds like one in a billion. I'd follow orders with a smile. Let the GG rock the boat. I'd just hang on.
No doubt 9 "artists" in one room can be hugely problematic.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM

I agree...kick GG to the curb, replace him if needed, and move on. It's about that time of the year where you said you take your break(s) so nows a perfect time to do it. Spend your down time rehearsing your songs without that member and book more shows. Don't let one guy bring down a good thing. There's a reason why it takes 25 guitarists to change a light bulb....
Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Gold Member

Ah Primadonas! Don't you just love them? Tell the GG to either take a hike or stop bitching and join another band if he's so bored. Why would the leader or the other band mates let a dime-a-dozen guitar weenie ruin it for everyone else?

Tell him flat out that the band IS gigging and making money and if he desires more challenging material, form his own band or join another one. Heck, kick him out just to piss off HIM!

Guitar players are thick as flies on manure. You throw a stone and hit 50 of them.

I'm hearing this same thing almost from a "lead" guitar player I was in another band with. He wants to play and is good, but won't join a band unless he can play lead.

Oh well....

Good Luck.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

If this is a paid professional gig being run by a leader with 9 people in his employ, there is no need for the drummer to say anything. Let the band leader deal with this.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bob, the simple version is we got steady gigs getting payed. the band leader provides The P.a practice space takes us out to dinner has us over for partys and a couple of guys decide to tell him that are songs are not challenging enough and its getting boring. so now the band leader was insulted and pissed off and is thinking of getting out of it. I agree with the band leader. he is a wealthy person who has invested thousands of dollers into this band. I am just a hired gun. I show up prepaired and early and never bitch or noodle during practice. And I have a great time doing it. like I said in my first post I like to play other music thats more challenging as well so I do it in other bands.
I agree with you. I also play in several bands. I play what fits. I find that the simple music goes over better in clubs and it gets gigs. People like plain old music that they understand.
I don't mind playing it if the audience likes it.
I do just like you do. I do my job as is needed to make the band work.
The guitar player is wrong. He should do other projects just as you and I do.

I think that there is a lot to be said for a drummer that provides the proper groove for the music that is being played. I think that it is an art in itself to play tasteful grooves and fills.
The same applies to the guitar and the other instruments. They should play what fits.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
If this is a paid professional gig being run by a leader with 9 people in his employ, there is no need for the drummer to say anything. Let the band leader deal with this.
What he said. The boss will sort it out.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_gregory View Post
What he said. The boss will sort it out.
Thing is, the boss is discouraged and thinking of shutting shop, hence Doggie's problem. Management of any undertaking takes a lot of energy and motivation, and being undermined can be de-energising.

So I think it's worthwhile to give the band leader some moral support so he'll want to keep the gig happening. Ideally, the other band members would get together to reassure the bandleader that his efforts are greatly appreciated. Maybe get together and buy him a couple of bottles of high quality champers as a thank you?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Agreed Wy.....but unfortunately in this case, it looks like the band leader is seriously looking at throwing in the towel as his only option. In this one instance, if it were me, I'd speak up and try to preserve my gig too.

EDIT: Sorry Pol....you beat me to the punch. I feel a little redundant now. Missed it by that much
Old 10-15-2010, 12:34 AM

I can understand your frustration as it seems like you really enjoy this gig and obviously getting money from playing music. That said, I'm going to put myself in the minority real quick. Not knowing the full situation like the guy's attitude or what have you, I can understand where he's coming from wanting to play more challenging things. I think when a person puts a lot of time into learning their instrument and really being able to play it, they want to feel like they're getting the chance to utilize all the things that they've learned. Also, I've had a guitar-player friend from school who just left a very similar situation, not so much because he wanted more of a challenge but because he didn't like his bandmates and most of all felt burnt out. He also had been with this group for several years and was making several hundred a weekend (which gig-less me was of course jealous of). My point here is that perhaps in addition to wanting a challenge he might just be burnt out after a few years of going through the routine. Again, I fully understand your frustration because he's putting something you love in jeopardy, but I would just say that there are two sides to every story.

Edit: "So I think it's worthwhile to give the band leader some moral support so he'll want to keep the gig happening." This a really good idea. Get the people who are still committed to get the bandleader's head straight. And champagne never hurts...
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex H View Post
And champagne never hurts...
Well, it can ... but in a nice way :)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Agreed Wy.....but unfortunately in this case, it looks like the band leader is seriously looking at throwing in the towel as his only option. In this one instance, if it were me, I'd speak up and try to preserve my gig too.
I think a private conversation/pep talk with the leader is cool, but if the band is entirely operated by a leader it is entirely his call if the band lives or dies. There are fantastic advantages being in a leader run band as opposed to those blasted equal partnership deals that are always a problem. The biggest is the sideman has no responsibility other than to play and get paid. For that tremendous opportunity you stay out of his way. Unfortunately that also includes his choice to either sustain or break up his own band.

I think bands come and go as a matter of habit.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Well, it can ... but in a nice way :)
I suppose the next morning, yeah. Haha.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thing is, the boss is discouraged and thinking of shutting shop, hence Doggie's problem. Management of any undertaking takes a lot of energy and motivation, and being undermined can be de-energising.
I did not catch that part! I would be pissed as well. Also it's a couple of guys not one guy. Does sound like trouble. The Boss plainly does this for fun and when the funs over most normal humans quit. I now understand the frustration.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_gregory View Post
I did not catch that part! I would be pissed as well. Also it's a couple of guys not one guy. Does sound like trouble. The Boss plainly does this for fun and when the funs over most normal humans quit. I now understand the frustration.
I missed it too. Am reading on a phone screen. The short answer it sack the problem musician. This can be hard, but not as hard as getting the act together in the first place and then holding it together. Remind the leader of his efforts. They should not be undermined by one personality who is clearly only seeking his own glory and is not a team player.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

The band leader will come around and find another guitar player.
He is just frustrated at the moment.
That is the only logical answer.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
My simple advise to you is just be a sideman. Its awesome. I gave up on the band thing like 20 years ago and it has served me well with tons less agrevation.
I am just a sideman, I show up,shut up, and play the material I am asked to play. Thats it end of story. Its like finding out the company you work for may go under and close the doors.
Kind of a powerless feeling. There are other gigs of course, but I like this one.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am just a sideman, I show up,shut up, and play the material I am asked to play. Thats it end of story. Its like finding out the company you work for may go under and close the doors.
Kind of a powerless feeling. There are other gigs of course, but I like this one.
Is this situation really as fragile as you make it out to be? We're talking about a guitarist. Is he so irreplaceable??? I thought they grew on trees. 9 people cannot so easily succumb surely????

Is it a band with gigs or a house of cards?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
You are correct. I will keep you updated as to what happens. Thanks to everyone who responded. I needed someplace to vent ,So why not share it with my fellow drummers.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Is this situation really as fragile as you make it out to be? We're talking about a guitarist. Is he so irreplaceable??? I thought they grew on trees. 9 people cannot so easily succumb surely????

Is it a band with gigs or a house of cards?
Its stupid drama is what it is. I am not going to get caught up in it. right know I am sitting back and watching what happens. We are playing tomorrow night, ragardless I am going to have fun.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are correct. I will keep you updated as to what happens. Thanks to everyone who responded. I needed someplace to vent ,So why not share it with my fellow drummers.
Why not indeed. I think you need not worry. I have seen this BS before. There are too many personalities involved with an interest in keeping it alive. Screw him.

Yesdog, what do you throw a drowning guitarist?

His amp.

:)
Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yesdog, what do you throw a drowning guitarist?

His amp.

:)
Make sure it's plugged in & switched on, lol!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Destroy1
This message has been deleted by Destroy1.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Rebel

+ tied up to his ankle, like a shackle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Make sure it's plugged in & switched on, lol!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Hellwyck

How can you say classic rock music isn't challenging?

It's every bit as challenging and more enjoyable than jazz in my book
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

Ya some guys are just prima donas and you have to learn to live with them since you can't legally shoot them. What is it about guitar players? About half of them are damn decent guys and the other half are arseholes. If the guy wants to play more challenging stuff, tell him to join another band. GEEZ! It ain't rocket science.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I think your attitude about the gig is as professional as it gets.You show up prepared,and play whats expected of you.Does anyone think that guys like Gadd,Aronoff,Vinny,Wells,or any pro you can think of,show up at a gig and say"I can't play that...its not challenging enough for me".!!!!.Reguardless of how good a player is,if you become demanding and difficult to work with..the phone will stop ringing.Goodbye career.The minute you ego starts getting in the way,you are damaged goods:cowboy up.You're all hat and no cattle.Anyone is replaceable.If any player if frustrated to the point of not being challenged,then leave.Form you own band, and stop letting YOUR problem become everyone elses.

Check your ego at the door like a wet umbrella,and just play the da*n guitar.Rant over.

Steve B