DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Gold Member

Default Help! I keep blowing snare resonant heads

I use a Pearl free-floater with a custom walnut shell, I've popped 3 resonant heads in the past month. The 1st two I had the head tuned real low so though maybe my snares were a little too tight and head was bouncing against..... but the one I popped last night I had the drum tuned up medium high both sides? I guess I'll check the FF's bearing edge but I think its OK ...HELP? Oh yeah I also installed 2 grommet vents in the shell after the 1st head popped

Last edited by braincramp; 10-01-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help! I keep blowing snare resonant heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
I use a Pearl free-floater with a custom walnut shell, I've popped 3 resonant heads in the past month. The 1st two I had the head tuned real low so though maybe my snares were a little too tight and head was bouncing against..... but the one I popped last night I had the drum tuned up medium high both sides? I guess I'll check the FF's bearing edge but I think its OK ...HELP? Oh yeah I also installed 2 grommet vents in the shell after the 1st head popped
I have a FF and noticed that the reso side has very sharp edges. I could see how this would be possible. My conclusion was; as insanely sensitive as these snares are, I don't have to crank the reso beyond all hell, to get a nice, snappy sound.

I'd just try pulling back a little on the crankage. You might be tuning higher than you think?

Otherwise, look for a rough spot on the edge somewhere. You might have a ding or jagged spot that is creating a tear in the head, causing it to snap when you tighten it up.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

Thanks zambizzi and wow I got the right snares for it the 16" ones and when I took the head off last night I noticed marks on the bed where the wires nicked in a little...must of been crankin too hard
Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 AM

Thats been happening to me a bunch lately as i get the Evans Hazy 200 (super thin) snare head and I just pop em! But I think Zambizzis right, cuz ever since I stopped cranking my reso head super tight, its been lasting me and still sounds sharp!
Old 10-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

This is the first time I've heard of a snare side breaking on its own, let alone repeatedly and from more than one person. I've owned probably 100 snares, currently have over 60, and have been beating drums for 45 years, and never had the snare side go. I generally tune on the tight side and some of the snares get a merciless beating on a regular basis, where lug inserts snap, and strainer straps and cords wear out. But never a problem with the bottom head, and I don't change it that often... once every 60-70 gigs... maybe.

I would have to agree that brain's was either way too tight, or there's a blem on the edge that's causing a physical tear.

Bermuda
Old 10-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Check both ends of the the snares where the wires are soldered to the plates for a sharp edge. File it down.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

I've had the same experience as bermuda.
I have never had a snare bottom blow out.
I have played snare bottoms for so long that the snares wore a small hole in the head and it didn't blow out.

It has to be a weird problem that is causing this to occur.