DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Seeking lightweight quality pedal with ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
So I'd still be keen to know about a "forgiving" pedal that allows for sensitivity at low volumes (contradictory aims?).
Pollyanna's right foot.

As long as the pedal feels good to you and responds like you want it to, the rest comes down to the player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
any pedal can allow for sensitivity at low volumes that's a matter of your technique. I really believe any pedal can be "forgiving" just a matter of getting used to it.
Oh, yes indeedy.

Honestly Pol, as long as the pedal is responsive and in good order, it comes down to the player. Sure, not all pedals are created equal and some "feel" a darnsight better than others (part of the reason why there's so many of the bloody things to choose from). But at the end of the day, "it's the Indian.....not the arrow" (best peice of drumming advice ever, IMHO). So much comes down to what Polly likes.

Get your feet on as many as you can (good luck with Axis or Trick though.....I've never seen either on a shelf in a drum shop in Oz. Not to say they don't exist, but I'm yet to find any).
Old 10-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
As long as the pedal feels good to you and responds like you want it to, the rest comes down to the player.
True that. So much of this ... "it's made of depleated uranium....machined on a precission EKG machine ... assembelled by Swiss craftsmen ... who make $60 an hour ... and it will outlive you by 3 generations...
That's all good and fine, but gee, I wanna step on the thing and make my kick drum go "boom" ... not re-enter the earths atmosphere with it....sometimes (it's fun but) it get's a bit too much.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pollyanna's right foot.

... and her right foot is a problem, matched only by the problems of her left foot, hands and brain. Otherwise most things seem to be roughly in working order ...

Quote:
Get your feet on as many as you can (good luck with Axis or Trick though.....I've never seen either on a shelf in a drum shop in Oz.
Thx for the heads up, PFOG. So my not knowing them wasn't entirely due to my ignorance about brands and gear. It can be frustrating at this forum to hear about all this great gear that we can never try before buying. Still never seen an Istanbul in the flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
... I wanna step on the thing and make my kick drum go "boom" ... not re-enter the earth's atmosphere with it....
lol - quote of the week!

Ta for the background on the red Paistes too.

To summarise on pedals recommended by more than one person ...
  • Axis and Trick probably not gettable (I've had Regal Tip wood-handled brushes on order for a month)
  • DW is great but heavy and bulky.
  • Eliminator requires much adjustment and I'd probably mess up (when I got a new TV I had to get a friend to set it up)
  • Yammies and Speed King are still on the table.
  • DD / strap / chain nor duribility/doubles not an issue since I'm not a twinkle-toes.
  • I should practice heel down.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yammies and Speed King are still on the table.
I've always been a Direct Drive fan, ever since I started playing a Speed King, back in the 60's. Then, along came the Ghost pedal. Then Tama brought out the King Beat (HP55) pedal, which was direct drive and compression spring (Speed King and Trick, also compression spring).
First time I played an Axis, was the early 90's. Didn't like it. So it didn't get my money. And probably every time I get a chance to play one (and there's been quite a few of those, in 18+ years), I put my foot on one. And await ...the clouds to open ... the angles to sing .... to be "embraced in the glory" that is the Axis pedal. And it never happens.
Compared to ... first time I put my foot on the Flying Dragon. I liked it. Turns out, I scored one on eBay ... and I also got a real good deal on a DW 5000A3. So I had both pedals, in my studio, for about a month. And at the end of that time, I went Yamaha. Sold the DW for what I paid for it. And promptly bought a second Yamaha.
Sometimes I play heel up ... and sometimes I play heel down. Sometimes half my foot is on the floor .... sometimes, my whole foot is on the footboard. What it all boils down to, is it works. I step on it ... and my bass drum goes boom.
My Speed King, Ghost, Tama HP55 ... and a few "others" ... all "museum" pieces, now.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
What it all boils down to, is it works. I step on it ... and my bass drum goes BOOM!!!
I agreed with everything in the post 100%
I thought that the line that I quoted really summed it up well!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

after about a year of research i went w/ the Yamaha FP 8500B (Belt drive, single pedal). i am real happy with it now that i have tweaked it a bit. very fast & light...close to my 1990s Yamaha pedal. over time, i didn't like the Pearl eliminator (too heavy, cams to weird), DW7000 (too heavy), DW5000 (too heavy). i thought the DW9000 would be very nice, but didn't want to spend that much $$$. even so, the DW9000 has a heavy feel despite being fast as h3ll, but i almost would have to justify the cost with a steady rock gig. playing mostly jazz, big band & blues these days.

+ http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumprod...1&CTID=5040585

Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Get your feet on as many as you can (good luck with Axis or Trick though.....I've never seen either on a shelf in a drum shop in Oz. Not to say they don't exist, but I'm yet to find any).
Both are at Drumpower in bayswater
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Cheers for the link :D great buy!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxation View Post
Cheers for the link :D great buy!

Just curious... if you won this- how much was/is shipping to OZ?

Attached Images

Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

So Pol, what did you end up getting?

And are you sure you don't want my extra Iron Cobra Jr?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM

US$25 shipping for the pedal.

shipping from america is quite reasonable sometimes, but some people do charge exorbitant prices...

(eg. cymbal delivery is US$40 from one dealer, US$120 from another)
Old 10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxation View Post
US$25 shipping for the pedal.

shipping from america is quite reasonable sometimes, but some people do charge exorbitant prices...

(eg. cymbal delivery is US$40 from one dealer, US$120 from another)
I've just fallen off the sofa!!!

25 US dollars?? He does know where Australia is, right?

Jesus man, it's a steal. I've really gotta start paying more attention to US ebay. The $120 you quoted is much closer to the mark when I made my enquiries.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:29 AM

$120 is way off... that would be for a seat on a first class plane that gets here yesterday!
I'm fine with my delivery taking a couple weeks to save the $
As it turns out, it is more than $25, but will be around $40. Still what I was willing to pay.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

US ebay ripe with AXIS deals, USPS to OZ is rea$onable.

Just need to communicate with seller and hope they're not freaked-out about sending to another country, even though its the same effort as sending it 100 km

The good thing about AXIS is though used, they'll have little to no wear and anything can be user snugged to factory specs. Fasteners are easy to get.

Other brands used will usually have irreversible wear, chains worked/loose, pins worn, replacement parts needed.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Other brands used will usually have irreversible wear, chains worked/loose, pins worn, replacement parts needed.
Speaking of wear on chains, pins et al......did you see the thread where the guy had to have his Axis heel plate pin re-machined? Sounds very un-Axis to me??

EDIT: Scratch that......you have seen it I note.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yesterday I got a foot on a Trick. I'm still stunned. I had no idea that a pedal could be so smooth. Never seen them at Billy Allen's [sic]. I MUST get one; it will change my life!

DrumPower is out of stock. I wonder if any American stores will ship to us here in the boondocks?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yesterday I got a foot on a Trick. I'm still stunned. I had no idea that a pedal could be so smooth. Never seen them at Billy Allen's [sic]. I MUST get one; it will change my life!

DrumPower is out of stock. I wonder if any American stores will ship to us here in the boondocks?
Yeah Pol, those Tricks are great. I had me one at one point last year. And then I spent the whole day making it feel like my Iron Cobra Jr..... I returned it a week later because there was something inherently wrong about making a $375 pedal feel like the $65 pedal it was supposed to replace ;)
Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Well I never!!.....Where Pol, where?? I'm yet to see a Trick pedal in Oz (I'm sure they're out there......somewhere, but a lazy bugger like me has never sought one out. If it ain't on the shelf at Billy Allens [like it btw] or Drumtek, I'm bound to miss it).

Yeah, the Yanks will ship here.....they love us remember. They find us "quirky" and "somewhat backward", yet are still mildly amused by our nature.........much like a developmentally challenged "little brother". :-)
There's heaps of online stores that are shipping to Oz now. Musicians Friend have just joined the ranks too, I note. There's a guy who used to be a member here called JustDrums (Shane)......he told me once in a post that he dealt into Oz often and made a point of noting his reasonable rates.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
audiotech

Trick pedals are very nice. They're the epitome of smoothness, quality and adjustability ( for older people like me that don't want to crawl on the floor for a simple adjustment). I don't believe I've ever played a better constructed pedal. Every adjustment is made with a simple drum key, except for its large tension adjustment knob. I got this one about a year ago, just after the Pearl Demon pedal came out. I wanted to check that out before I bought this. It's funny, just yesterday I was at my favorite Five Star shop checking out the Axis single pedals. When you line up about six or seven pedals at the same time, you can really feel the difference between them. Then you start to adjust the less expensive pedals to make them feel like the costlier ones, most of the time it doesn't work. I was probably at the store for a couple of hours and walked out with nothing.

Dennis
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

i played a Trick just last week. Polly´s reaction was the same as mine.

i don´t like the tiny suction cup looking beater, but otherwise....OMG !!!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I never!!.....Where Pol, where?? I'm yet to see a Trick pedal in Oz (I'm sure they're out there......somewhere, but a lazy bugger like me has never sought one out. If it ain't on the shelf at Billy Allens [like it btw] or Drumtek, I'm bound to miss it).
Bermuda took me on stage a few hours before the gig and invited this substandard stick-wielder to sit at his kit (he really is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet). He had a Trick pedal and it was love at first tap ... something like Unfunkyfooted's response.

Will have to see which online shops will cater for us boondockians.

It's a funny thing. I've been going through a real head trip since trying the Trick. On one hand I figure that Papa Jo and the old jazz wizards did all their marvellous stuff using basic pedals so there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible for me to at least be okay-ish with my Dixon.

On the other hand, I've never felt confident with kick drum playing and lately had a real crisis of confidence with my right foot and I could do with all the help I can get. The last time I really felt comfortable and confident with a kick was last year at Hyde's (extensively) trying out the TD20 and that mesh head forgave all my "sins" (ALOT of them, anyway).

The Trick pedal on Bermuda's kit felt something like that to me ... except that his Buttkicker scared me half to death and I got off the kit pronto after a few tentative taps - lol

Thanks for the pics and info, Denis. That's the one ... smoooth!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

hey guitar factory in paramatta has trick pedals... in the upstairs part where all the drums are
Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Thx uniin. I didn't see trick on their site, though http://www.guitarfactory.com.au

Just sent them an email so it'll be interesting to see their response
Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

hey the guy who works at the drums (nate) has the same kit as me - 2010 starclassic limited edition. we're the only two that have them in nsw, but last i heard he was selling them and his superstar to start doing DJ stuff/electric drum kit stuff. lol
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the Yanks will ship here.....they love us remember. They find us "quirky" and "somewhat backward", yet are still mildly amused by our nature.........much like a developmentally challenged "little brother". :-)
There's heaps of online stores that are shipping to Oz now. Musicians Friend have just joined the ranks too, I note. There's a guy who used to be a member here called JustDrums (Shane)......he told me once in a post that he dealt into Oz often and made a point of noting his reasonable rates.
I'm pretty sure that Drum Power out in Bayswater have them... although it might be a bit out of your way, not sure where you are in Melbourne? They're about ten minutes from my place. Then again, I've not been to Drumtek yet, so...
Old 03-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

I'm thinking that US prices are usually heaps cheaper than out here and it would be cheaper to buy a Trick pedal from a US retailer than the handful of Oz retailers who may stock them. As it is, Guitar Factor never got back to me.

Can anyone recommend a good US online retailer who stocks Trick single pedals and would deal with the unwashed masses downunder?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:22 AM
audiotech

I bought mine from Dales Drum Shop in PA, USA, but I don't know how far they ship.

Dennis
Old 03-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

a buddy of mine has a double pedal set up.

very nice.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm thinking that US prices are usually heaps cheaper than out here and it would be cheaper to buy a Trick pedal from a US retailer than the handful of Oz retailers who may stock them. As it is, Guitar Factor never got back to me.

Can anyone recommend a good US online retailer who stocks Trick single pedals and would deal with the unwashed masses downunder?
check your inbox.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
check your inbox.

I ended up buying a Trick Pro 1-V Detonator at musiciansfriend.com (they're included in the site's Australian shipping list).

I'll be counting the days for it to arrive!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Unfunk, you are a legend :))

I ended up buying a Trick Pro 1-V Detonator at musiciansfriend.com (they're included in the site's Australian shipping list).

I'll be counting the days for it to arrive!
coolness. glad to be of service.

i know you will enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

PFOG, take note of the link!

These guys will probably be cheaper there than in Oz shops now that our dollar has moved beyond parity (apologies to our balance of trade figures) - even with the $60-something shipping.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
PFOG, take note of the link!

These guys will probably be cheaper there than in Oz shops now that our dollar has moved beyond parity (apologies to our balance of trade figures) - even with the $60-something shipping.
Ah but Pol.......you're not paying attention. As posted by yours truely back in post 58:

There's heaps of online stores that are shipping to Oz now. Musicians Friend have just joined the ranks too, I note. :-)

Unfortunately, they still don't stock Brady!! The only thing I truely need (read; want, desire, covet.....anything but need) is a 14x6.5 Jarrah block Brady. Get that on board and this happy camper will never need for anything save for heads and sticks again.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah but Pol.......you're not paying attention. As posted by yours truely back in post 58:

There's heaps of online stores that are shipping to Oz now. Musicians Friend have just joined the ranks too, I note. :-)
Ouch! I'm as thick as pig$h1t at times!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, they still don't stock Brady!! The only thing I truely need (read; want, desire, covet.....anything but need) is a 14x6.5 Jarrah block Brady. Get that on board and this happy camper will never need for anything save for heads and sticks again.
hey pfog, http://www.facebook.com/redrockdrums?ref=ts this guy makes custom block snare drums, out of jarrah and 1 other kind of wood. you should check him out too. pricey though ($800~ iirc for a 14x6.5)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Unfunky

Here's the Trick pedal update. I'd found a setting that I like - not all that far from the preset, just a bit looser. It gives total control over pedal angle and internal spring tension.

Still getting to know it and get my (unfunky) right foot happening but it's a big improvement. I was thinking of changing from my Vintage Bomber beater to a standard felt beater but the only thing in the shop was a DW.

I'd read in a review that the hole for the beater in the Trick fits any beater. Not true. Just spent $50 on the DW felt beater and it's too big for the hole :( I bought a file and sandpaper and will see if I can whittle it down a bit. The felt is harder than my old Speed King too, which isn't ideal for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Polly, I really thought I was the only one using the Vater Vintage Bomber. I've had mine for well over a year and I love it - works with all my bass drums (a 16" and 2 different 22"s). Do you run your bass drums wide open? That's the best solution for the sound I want with the beater.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:22 AM
Platinum Member

Theoretically I want the kick unmuffled - since it's a 16" I'm trying to get some body in the sound and the bomber helps that (though I'm failing, as per the posting on Mr Snuts's Wiki thread). The bomber Is also more forviving for a leadfoot in quiet music, a legacy of my rock days.

However, an open, less defined sound can get a bit messy with our bassist's tones (who isn't always the cleanest player and the challenge for all bassists is to get the unused strongs to shut up). So I've had to do some muffling. Also physically, I think I function better with the feel of a felt beater and now that I'm used to playing quietly i think I can play one without being disruptive (famous last words).
Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM

I am sure many people have already said it, but the Ludwig Speed King! It one of the most basic pedals, theres not much to them, just a frame and such, but they are one of the most popular pedals ever. They dont use a spring, so they are supposed to be easier to hit fast with. And they are very smooth. I tried one and at first it was wierd, the mallet went way back, and it felt like a gas pedal of a car, the angle was deeper than most pedals, thus you had to push further with your foot, but was it ever smooth! THey run for about 150 bucks.
EMAD
VF Kinetic Force 5B
Speed King
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I ended up buying a Trick Pro 1-V Detonator !
Wow Pol, somehow, I just couldn't imagine you buying anything with a title such as "Detonator", unless you're going back to your rock roots of course.