DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Seeking lightweight quality pedal with ...

When I bought a new kit after not playing for a long time I scrimped on my kick drum pedal and in hindsight, it was a mistake.

Can anyone recommend a quality, lightweight pedal with a smooth, gliding action that is a joy to play?

Cheers
Old 10-01-2010, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Seeking lightweight quality pedal with ...

What's your budget Pol? There's plenty around, but I'm aware of the damage to the wallet in A$. Did you want to go high end?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Platinum Member

Lightweight, fun and (maybe) cheap.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Platinum Member

Geez......fussy seller Les. Did you check out his "6 Golden Rules"? Too funny.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Les, have you tried the Axis?

PFOG, happy to part with $$ for comfort. My R knee (along with a bunch of other joints) has issues. Just hoping to get some pain free playing in before I start the search for lightweight quality walking frames ;)
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 AM
Gold Member

Man, if you could get ahold of that Axis pedal, that would be the way to go. If you've never played on one before, you need to. I think its EXACTLY what you're looking for. Axis are light as a feather, very powerful, and smooth as can be. Some of the best pedals on the market, I would have to say. Direct links also mean unparalleled response.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

I second the Axis Pedal, and also the Trick Pro-1v pedal. I've owned both and both are lightweight and you can really fly on them.

Funny that I currently play Tama's Iron Cobra Jr.'s, though.

I'm leaning towards the Axis for you though. The Axis X single is cheaper than the Trick though ($179 as opposed to $325 US), and because the Axis uses an external spring like other notable pedals (DW, Yamaha, Tama, etc.,...) it will feel familiar, but be very light and flyable. The Trick utilizes this internal spring (like the Ludwig Speed King) on steroids and I must say, it took a while to get used to it.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm more built for comfort than speed so I definitely wouldn't want one of those super fast pedals where you have to get used to them to avoid accidental doubles. I need to do some feathering (with my fluffy bomber) so sensitivity matters.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Thanks guys, very helpful. I'm more built for comfort than speed so I definitely wouldn't want one of those super fast pedals where you have to get used to them to avoid accidental doubles. I need to do some feathering (with my fluffy bomber) so sensitivity matters.
With these high end pedals (Bo mentioned the Pro-1V, also KILLER pedals) you can pretty much customize them however you want. You would be able to fly as fast as you want to, or play slowly and quietly. I would definitely get a pair and see, if nothing else! Your feet will love you :D
Old 10-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Then I have an extra Tama Iron Cobra Jr. I could send you... I think they're ultra comfy.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Les, have you tried the Axis?

PFOG, happy to part with $$ for comfort. My R knee (along with a bunch of other joints) has issues. Just hoping to get some pain free playing in before I start the search for lightweight quality walking frames ;)
Pol, Les plays Axis and gives them an excellent wrap.

I've seen them used on Oz ebay from time to time (usually double pedals though to be honest)....but it's a matter of being patient. Needless to say, they are not a dime a dozen here. If you want to look on US ebay, you'd have a hell of a lot more luck and your dollar will buy you more.

The best advice I can offer for the Aussie market.............ignore the US$ prices you see posted here. Even though our Yankee mates have the best intentions, US retail prices are totally irrelevant to what you'll pay in Oz (assuming a straight currency conversion). Despite the A$ being almost at parity with the US$, the OZ retailers ignore this and you'll still pay a hell of a lot more (when converted) to any US list price.

So as great as the high end direct drive pedals are (don't forget the Peal Demon Drive in this catergory either), you're gonna pay through the nose for them here. Your best options are, used on Oz ebay (but, patience is definitely a virtue here)......US ebay (but, the shipping DOES cost a bit......after all, we're a loooong way away), or check out retail prices on something like the humble Pearl Eliminator (chain or strap driven, but with a million options to tailor the pedal just the way you like it). Check Hydes or the like.......they're always good for a deal.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Cheers PFOG. Happy to buy a new pedal. Given my gammy knee, having a new pedal soon rather than cheaply seems like a good idea.

I've been doing some research ... any thoughts on the Yamaha FP7210 and Peal eliminator? Performance? Weight?

I read that the DW 9000 is amazing but apparently really heavy ... pity ... I don't want more heavy stuff to lug.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Cheers PFOG. Happy to buy a new pedal. Given my gammy knee, having a new pedal soon rather than cheaply seems like a good idea.

I've been doing some research ... any thoughts on the Yamaha FP7210 and Peal eliminator? Performance? Weight?

I read that the DW 9000 is amazing but apparently really heavy ... pity ... I don't want more heavy stuff to lug.
I've tried the Elims and the DW9000....I'd suggest the Elims are a lighter feeling pedal - even more so if you removed the quad beater and put your fluffy bunny on there , but there's no denying the 9000 is smooth. The DW5000 is also a nice feeling pedal (although still a shade on the heavy side). I have no experience with the Yammie though.....I didn't see one there. The only one I really didn't like was the Iron Cobra.....just way too heavy for my tastes.

I went looking for new pedals several months ago and felt most comfortable on the Elims and was all set to get them, until I tried the direct drive DD (no Axis or Trick available to try unfortunately)....when he did me a killer deal on those it was game over

I'll give you the same advice as I give on every pedal thread though Pol.....get your feet on 'em. There's so many bells and whistles on higher end pedals it really does pay to sit yourself down with a bunch of them and go to town. I spent over an hour with a practice pad and all the pedals I wanted to try, tweaking this and adjusting that. Honestly, it can be a tough decision.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Ta PFOG. How would you compare the Eliminator and the Axis?

It would be pretty funny to have this massive, heavy pedal attached to a dinky 16" Rhythm Traveller ... and with a fluffy bunny attached to it ... maybe not a Cobra :)
Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

It would be pretty funny to have this massive, heavy pedal attached to a dinky 16" Rhythm Traveller ... and with a fluffy bunny attached to it ... maybe not a Cobra :)
Comparing those two is pretty tough as they are two totally different animals and each have their own feel.

You say you have knee pain, have you looked at your positioning as far as seat height and position? That alone can have a big impact on how you feel, both pain and fatigue.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Comparing those two is pretty tough as they are two totally different animals and each have their own feel.

You say you have knee pain, have you looked at your positioning as far as seat height and position? That alone can have a big impact on how you feel, both pain and fatigue.
How about which one would be better suited to quiet playing? Speed isn't an issue because it's ain't that kind of music.

I've tried a few heights but all hurt (as does walking) so a pedal that doesn't require much work would be cool.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Gold Member

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...&sid=80&cid=26

or even

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...sid=620&cid=26
Old 10-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've been doing some research ... any thoughts on the Yamaha FP7210 and Pearl eliminator?
Two completely different animals
Yamaha - no floorplate. It would be a much better pedal, if it did.
Eliminator - multi cam - maybe too much adjustment, you could fiddle with one for weeks, dialing it in.
I've pretty much tried 'em all, and I put my money into the Yamaha Flying Dragon - Direct Drive. I bought 2 single pedals. For me, it beat out the Pearl Elim. and the Demon Drive, the DW 5000 and 9000, the Tama IC's, the Axis, the Pro V, the Gibraltar Intruder and Catapult and Direct Drive, the Sonor Giant Step. I think that's it. Oh, and the BOA (DW/PDP).
If weight's a big concern, you pretty much have to forgo the floorboard. That leaves you with the Yamaha 7210. If you can "handle" the extra weight issue, a DW 5000, or the Iron Cobra, Jr ... good, simple, workhorse pedals.
Or, find an old Camco pedal, in good shape, and call it a day.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

yer i've tried the new yammy flying dragons with direct drive they are pretty light, they certainly feel like next to nothing on your foot too, very very smooth
Old 10-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Konaboy's right Pol.....a more 'apples to apples' comparison would be Axis and a Demon Drive or the Yammie direct drive. Direct drive pedals are indeed a different animal to a chain or strap driven. I've found the direct drive to be very honest pedals, just a very different feel....took some adapting to actually, but now I'm sold. FWIW, I feel the direct drive pedals offer a lighter action (could be good for a gammy knee).....so much so, that I swapped the stock beaters out in order to get a little more weight higher up on the pedal.

The Elims would be more closely compared with the DW900, IC's et al.

Quote:
How about which one would be better suited to quiet playing? Speed isn't an issue because it's ain't that kind of music.
Most of that will come down to your foot control. That said, the direct drive just feels lighter to me, when feathered. Or perhaps I should say, I feel as if I have a greater dynamic control........but this is definitely just my opinion.

Sure they're fast pedals.....but they're only as fast as they're played. If you don't need to rip 16ths at 1000bpm, then the pedals won't either. :-)
Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

At this rate it seems like I could throw a rock in a drum shop and hit a suitable pedal :) Thanks guys, there must be at least one of these things in Billy Hyde's ...

Some dumb questions because I've never been a gear tart ...

I take it plates are to provide stability if you're playing heavy, yes?

Also, direct drive vs straps and chains? (whips? spurs? :) ... I had a strap drive with my first kit and changed to chain because the strap kept breaking, but I was a leadfoot back then.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
At this rate it seems like I could throw a rock in a drum shop and hit a suitable pedal :) Thanks guys, there must be at least one of these things in Billy Hyde's ...

Also, direct drive vs straps and chains? (whips? spurs? :) ... I had a strap drive with my first kit and changed to chain because the strap kept breaking, but I was a leadfoot back then.

The floor plate just makes for a more sturdy base for the pedal. It adds some weight but not a ton, to me it's worth it.

Like PFOG said I honestly believe the direct drive pedals offer a much lighter feel than chain or strap. I've tried axis at GC and Sam Ash many times and it's a light feeling pedal, I really want to try the yamaha flying dragon direct drive but no shop around me has them.

I will also echo that how loud a pedal is, is dependent on you just like sticks you control the power and how hard you hit.

Chain vs. Strap vs. Direct Drive. Each one affects how the pedal feels and responds and each has it's own unique feel. I play a 9000 and used the chain for a year then just for kicks (ha ha no pun intended) decided to try the strap that came with the pedal. WoW it changed how it felt, seemed more smooth and a little lighter with the strap. I think the direct drive is the most responsive of the three types.

In the end like you always see around here you really need to go try a bunch out but I think in your case you'll probably want to look at direct drive pedals.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Although no one can really tell you what pedal will feel best for you, I can point out the fact that the AXIS is a lifetime pedal, you set it and forget it... practically forever.

The AXIS pedal has the least amount of wear issues of any pedal I've seen yet, this maybe something to consider and its most definitely reassuring to know you can bounce this piece of gear around for years and not have to worry about it ever falling apart, something you can't do with other pedals.

AXIS pedals 'playability to durability factor' has proven to be second to none since 1990 They require the least amount of maintenance and the least amount of care, its all grown up, independent while still being able to perform at the highest level.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's really quite right. Take all these pedals, try them. Finding "the best one" for you is more a hair-splitting operation than one pedal will outshine all the others.
A good friend/buddy drummer of mine still uses the Ludwig Speed King. He's owned almost every pedal named in this thread, and he keeps going back to the SK. Let's face it, Ludwig still makes it. Must be ... because there's still demand for it.
The Speed King worked pretty well, for John Bonham.
Billy Cobham didn't seem to have too much trouble with his Camco pedals.
Steve Gadd used a Yamaha, very similar to the 7210.
Uncle Charlie, he still rocks a Speed King ...
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Crazy8s

If you can find one, buy the Axis. While you are looking for one, keep an eye out for a Yamaha Flying Dragon which is an excellent direct drive, light pedal that can be found on the cheap.

Unless you want to be continually adjusting your pedals, you should avoid the glut of DW, Tama, Taye, Pearl and others which are basically all Camco knock-offs. Some of them are good, but none of them are on par with the materials quality and build quality of the Axis.

Axis = CNC machined aircraft-aluminum with brass or stainless parts where they are needed. Everything is machined. Nothing is die-cast.

DW,pearl,taye,tama = diecast parts all over with a few extruded pieces. To make diecast parts you take powdered/granulated iron and pour it into its mold where it gets heated by the mold itself partially. Then the part gets pressed with a hammer-like die that squeezes the metal powder into a a denser state which causes the heat that melts it into shape. The problem with this is that the structure of the metal is still granulated inside the part and it is not particularly strong, so they have to overbuild parts to get strength.

Die-cast parts are not strong because the internal metal structure is grainy. Extruded aluminum is incredibly strong because the internal metal structure consists of long fibrous structure. Because it is so strong because it was extruded vs diecast, you don't need as much material = less moving mass.

Axis pedals have the least moving mass combined with ultrasmooth bearings and are built intelligently to please the worlds finest drummers of all genres.

Axis pedals play exactly what your foot tells it to, and if you have a crappy foot to begin with you will sound like it. This is why Axis pedals are a put off to some. It points out their weak foot. Instead of dismissing the pedal because it points out your weakness, you should embrace it because now you can hear your weaknesses and practice towards eliminating them.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Polly, There are so many pedals on the market that it really comes down to personal choice.
Myself, Im happy with the Iron Cobra but it is rather heavy.
I also have two identical Tama pedals from the 1980s that I gig with that are lighter. They have no bottom plates.
I played a Speed King for 25 years and aside from it being a bit noisy and limited by way of adjustments it was great.
I suggest that you try a bunch for yourself.
I played a Pearl Demon Drive recently and I loved it. I may get one.
I also like the Axis a whole bunch.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

A dumber question again ... I've used chains & strap drives but what exactly IS a direct drive pedal?

Funny, this thread made me realise that I used just one pedal through the 80s before my long layoff and I couldn't remember what it was. Now I remember - it was a Speed King! I liked it back then but I'm not sure whether I'd feel the same way now that I'm playing chilled music.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
Axis pedals play exactly what your foot tells it to, and if you have a crappy foot to begin with you will sound like it. This is why Axis pedals are a put off to some. It points out their weak foot. Instead of dismissing the pedal because it points out your weakness, you should embrace it because now you can hear your weaknesses and practice towards eliminating them.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This one stands out to me with neon lights. Yep, my footwork isn't good and I can't practice it much because then my knee hurts. This opens up a whole new question ... which pedals are more forgiving?

Thanks everyone so far, super helpful - you guys rock :)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

A direct drive pedal has a solid piece of metal hinged in between the footboard and the cam where the chain would be.
The idea is that the chain has slack in it sometimes during fast operation.
The direct drive has no slack so it will be able to have a faster action.
Your Speed King was a direct drive pedal.

If you are only going to play at modest speeds the chain will not be a problem for you.

As far as knee pain goes. The pedal doesn't cause knee pain.
The condition of your knee and the height that you sit causes knee pain.
Seat height and technique can help to keep knee pain to a minimum.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Yep your speed king was a direct drive, that was my first pedal 25+ years ago. I switched for two reasons: 1 durability 2: decided to try a double bass pedal.

I myself think the direct drive has a lighter feel to it than a chain or strap but that's my perception.

Next question would be have you seen a Dr. for this problem? A cheaper pedal may make your leg work harder but should cause pain, sounds like there is something else going on physically with the knee that needs to be addressed.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Ta for the heads up. Okay - so my old pedal was a direct drive. I've forgotten what it looked like but "Speed King" rings a bell.

I'm guessing that the problem is rheumatoid arthritis because they seem to be at their worst at the same times as my hands (which were checked out for other issues). Getting it checked out is next on the list after seeing a urologist for my other chronic health issue - getting older is so such fun!

I never had knee probs from playing when younger - not even a hint of it.

So I'd still be keen to know about a "forgiving" pedal that allows for sensitivity at low volumes (contradictory aims?). Seat heights have been experimented with, my foot technique is poor for sure ... want to change to heel down but that's a long road after playing heel-up since 1976 (with a decade break '98 to '07). Sorry about shifting parameters of the question but the issue is clarifying as I learn more from you all. Can't believe how much you guys.know about gear ... I know little about drums, I just hit 'em :)
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Ta for the heads up. Okay - so my old pedal was a direct drive. I've forgotten what it looked like but "Speed King" rings a bell.

I'm guessing that the problem is rheumatoid arthritis because they seem to be at their worst at the same times as my hands (which were checked out for other issues). Getting it checked out is next on the list after seeing a urologist for my other chronic health issue - getting older is so such fun!

I never had knee probs from playing when younger - not even a hint of it.

So I'd still be keen to know about a "forgiving" pedal that allows for sensitivity at low volumes (contradictory aims?). Seat heights have been experimented with, my foot technique is poor for sure ... want to change to heel down but that's a long road after playing heel-up since 1976 (with a decade break '98 to '07). Sorry about shifting parameters of the question but the issue is clarifying as I learn more from you all. Can't believe how much you guys.know about gear ... I know little about drums, I just hit 'em :)
any pedal can allow for sensitivity at low volumes that's a matter of your technique. I really believe any pedal can be "forgiving" just a matter of getting used to it.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Aside from a knee joint replacement learning how to play heel down will probably be the best answer for pain.
I only play heel up part of the time now-a-days. Age setting in for me too!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Aside from a knee joint replacement learning how to play heel down will probably be the best answer for pain.
I only play heel up part of the time now-a-days. Age setting in for me too!
Excellent advice. 20202020
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Platinum Member

Being that Polly primarily plays at low volumes heel down may very effective for her.
I only pick up my heel to accent or play a brief rapid set of notes.
I also find that not burring the beater helps me to have less knee pain.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Okay - so my old pedal was a direct drive. I've forgotten what it looked like but "Speed King" rings a bell.
Speed King pedal modified with a floorplate....
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

I have found that I have to set my beater a bit closer to the bass head as I have gotten older.
I simply adjust my Cobra to achieve this.
I bend the beater shaft on my pedals that do not adjust like the pic.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Nice work! Yes, it looks like I need to get foot down technique happening.

Harry - those pics brought a smile to my face ... yep, that's my old pedal (apart from plate) - wow, that really brought back some memories. We seem to have covered some common gear ground - Rogers and Speed King. If you have ever used 2002 cymbals we'll have a quorum :) ... even tho these days I have Z and Sabian now.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you have ever used 2002 cymbals we'll have a quorum ...
Paiste 2002, usage, of course. My longest kept pair of hi-hats, 15" 2002 black label, I bought used, for $225 ... played on them for 15+ years, sold them for $250 ... and that money I put into my Istanbul Mehmet 15" Turks.
Paiste's I still have, a full set (14" hats, 20" ride, two 16" crashes, one 18" crash ... all in red Colorsound 5.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Paiste 2002, usage, of course. My longest kept pair of hi-hats, 15" 2002 black label, I bought used, for $225 ... played on them for 15+ years, sold them for $250 ... and that money I put into my Istanbul Mehmet 15" Turks.
Paiste's I still have, a full set (14" hats, 20" ride, two 16" crashes, one 18" crash ... all in red Colorsound 5.
Ah, I had 12" Sound Edge hats, plus 2002s - 16" crash and 22" ride.

Just Googled the red Colorsounds - I've not seen them before. I take it the coloration process was more successful than with the Pitch Blacks? :)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just Googled the red Colorsounds - I've not seen them before. I take it the coloration process was more successful than with the Pitch Blacks
Indeed, yes. The Colorsound 5's were basically 2002's .... colored. I built up a set, simply to have ... something you don't see many cats having. They were manufactured between 1983-1986. Due to the colorization, they sound a little "dryer" than standard 2002's.
I hold onto them, simply because they don't take up much room. 1 cymbal bag. I'll probably never need those kinda cymbals again.