DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM

Default Help Please? SMI-1458/DD-501 edrums not recognized in XP - yelp!

Hey guys and gals, hoping to gain a bit of direction here... I'm usually able to figure this kind of stuff out by googling around, but am totally stuck here and pulling my hair out.

Picked up a very much entry level e-kit today. Sound X SMI-1458 - identical to the Legacy/Medeli DD-501.

The unit boasts a plug and play USB output, with no drivers needed (or supplied) to activate the midi triggers.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and upon plugging the kit in, I receive the New Hardware Found wizard. XP finds a device named 'e-drums'. When I choose to install the drivers automatically, the install fails as XP cannot find the correct drivers for the hardware.

With the unit still plugged in, I press on to find that the midi triggers are not recognized AT ALL. Running ProTools 8LE with Addictive Drums. Absolutely no MIDI devices found.

I've installed eTrigger/eDrumMonitor and MidiYoke in hopes that perhaps there would be some kind of universal edrum driver packed away in the software.

It's a no go. I've tried all of my USB ports, several USB cables yet continue to receive the same failed hardware wizard. I know this can be achieved using this kit as there are a number of youtube videos with demos using ezdrummer and such. Forums also suggest that people are using this as a midi controller with no problem whatsoever, but I'm just hitting a big wall here trying to get my PC to recognize the set.

Any ideas?

Really appreciate your time and help in advance!

-reqd
Old 01-18-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Help Please? SMI-1458/DD-501 edrums not recognized in XP - yelp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reqd View Post
Hey guys and gals, hoping to gain a bit of direction here... I'm usually able to figure this kind of stuff out by googling around, but am totally stuck here and pulling my hair out.

Picked up a very much entry level e-kit today. Sound X SMI-1458 - identical to the Legacy/Medeli DD-501.

The unit boasts a plug and play USB output, with no drivers needed (or supplied) to activate the midi triggers.

I'm running Windows XP SP3 and upon plugging the kit in, I receive the New Hardware Found wizard. XP finds a device named 'e-drums'. When I choose to install the drivers automatically, the install fails as XP cannot find the correct drivers for the hardware.

With the unit still plugged in, I press on to find that the midi triggers are not recognized AT ALL. Running ProTools 8LE with Addictive Drums. Absolutely no MIDI devices found.

I've installed eTrigger/eDrumMonitor and MidiYoke in hopes that perhaps there would be some kind of universal edrum driver packed away in the software.

It's a no go. I've tried all of my USB ports, several USB cables yet continue to receive the same failed hardware wizard. I know this can be achieved using this kit as there are a number of youtube videos with demos using ezdrummer and such. Forums also suggest that people are using this as a midi controller with no problem whatsoever, but I'm just hitting a big wall here trying to get my PC to recognize the set.

Any ideas?

Really appreciate your time and help in advance!

-reqd
I found a thread about your issue but folks are assuming the module is bad:
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1077.0

Also, assuming the model is identical (big if?) Alesis has a firmware update for it, but it's for a snare volume issue (hoping that getting any software for it might make it work):
http://www.alesis.com/dm6usbkit?tt=5

Mediafire download link to firmware:
http://www.mediafire.com/?51ngmyiifom

Do NOT try the firmware on a Mac, even with XP on it. There have been reports of bricked modules.

Also, have you tried Midiox? It allows you to select and test your inputs. It might be more in depth than the average midi yoke software. It sounds like the drums are working, since it shows up as "e-drum". Thinking it might be a computer issue. I've also heard people suggest using the back USB ports rather than the front, though I've never seen that make a difference, ever.

This all may be completely unhelpful but I really tried. ;)

Last edited by Billkwando; 01-18-2011 at 07:46 PM.