DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM
oldrockdrummer's Avatar
oldrockdrummer oldrockdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 364
Default Joey Kramer

All of you rockers out there have to know who Aerosmith is. Joey Kramer is still one of my favorite rock drummers, I mean what rock drummer hasn't practiced the grove to Walk This Way? 38 years with the band and still going strong hats off to you Joey!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 PM
rmandelbaum's Avatar
rmandelbaum rmandelbaum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 2,043
Default Re: Joey Kramer

A rock solid player, delivers just what the song calls for. I have seen Aeorsmith live and they are one of the best, tightest live shows I have ever seen.
__________________
DW Collectors
Vintage Superstars
Roland TD-20
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,513
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Without a doubt, one of the great driving rock drummers.

After I saw Joey live the first time, my approach kinda changed a bit.

I was able to see him very close in concert too, and that was really cool.

Very tight and solid, and you can tell he's got huge ears listening to everything going on.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Terra Terra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 48
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Without a doubt, one of the great driving rock drummers.

After I saw Joey live the first time, my approach kinda changed a bit.

I was able to see him very close in concert too, and that was really cool.

Very tight and solid, and you can tell he's got huge ears listening to everything going on.

Special mention has to got to go to the ride cymbal riff he plays on Love In An Elevator!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
spides666's Avatar
spides666 spides666 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 305
Default Re: Joey Kramer

That is one beat I cannot nail, "Walk This Way"........I just can't get that kick pattern right, I can play it without a hi-hat pattern but it goes when I bring hats in... ; - (
__________________
Tama Starclassic Bubinga ELITE
Hart Dynamics w/ Roland TD-30
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 AM
oldrockdrummer's Avatar
oldrockdrummer oldrockdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 364
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spides666 View Post
That is one beat I cannot nail, "Walk This Way"........I just can't get that kick pattern right, I can play it without a hi-hat pattern but it goes when I bring hats in... ; - (
Try practicing it with quarter notes on the hat instead of eights untill the doted eighth kick becomes comfortable then go to eighths on the hat then go to the open hat on one. just build the beat a little at a time. thats how I have taught it to students over the years. once you get it fluently you can have big fun with variations of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:19 AM
oldrockdrummer's Avatar
oldrockdrummer oldrockdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 364
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Special mention has to got to go to the ride cymbal riff he plays on Love In An Elevator!
He,s real good at the power shuffle
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Ekim Ekim is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA, Planet Earth
Posts: 623
Default Anyone read his biography?

I used to love Joey Kramer, but it seems to me that (sadly) after his nervous breakdown his drumming doesn't have the same balls to it. The "Nine Lives" CD seems much less lively as far as the drumming in comparison to "Get a Grip" (which I don't like as an album but the drumming was classic Joey).

The live recordings I've heard done since haven't changed my mind either. He used to be KILLER live. Aerosmith was great on the "Get a Grip" tour. (Especially with Jackyl opening for them.)

But anyway...the reason for my post: Anyone read his biography "Hit Hard"?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Lance's Avatar
Lance Lance is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 22
Default Re: Anyone read his biography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
I used to love Joey Kramer, but it seems to me that (sadly) after his nervous breakdown his drumming doesn't have the same balls to it. The "Nine Lives" CD seems much less lively as far as the drumming in comparison to "Get a Grip" (which I don't like as an album but the drumming was classic Joey).

The live recordings I've heard done since haven't changed my mind either. He used to be KILLER live. Aerosmith was great on the "Get a Grip" tour. (Especially with Jackyl opening for them.)

But anyway...the reason for my post: Anyone read his biography "Hit Hard"?
I read it a while back. It started out great, but got a little sappy about half-way thru, if I remember correctly. I'd recommend it for Oprah's Book-of-the-Month Club. No, not really. It's kind of sad what he & the others went thru w/ substance abuse issues & managent woes, but they've managed to come out on top. I love Joey's funkiness, which does really shine thru on Walk this Way & that Love in an Elevator intro among other grooves he's played.
__________________
"I like to play."~Garth Algar
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Joey Kramer

A solid rock drummer with feel. Has developed his own technique through the years with a bit of funk, shuffle, ride patterns playing it on the song. Remember Back in the saddle, Rats in the cellar, Toys in the attic, Walk this way, Train Kept A Rolling, Mama kin, Lord of Thighs...
__________________
Thank you so much...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Lance's Avatar
Lance Lance is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 22
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
A solid rock drummer with feel. Has developed his own technique through the years with a bit of funk, shuffle, ride patterns playing it on the song. Remember Back in the saddle, Rats in the cellar, Toys in the attic, Walk this way, Train Kept A Rolling, Mama kin, Lord of Thighs...
Great stuff! None of those songs would be the same w/out his playing. He's a great example of a drummer who doesn't just hold the song up, but doesn't overplay either. His rhythms make each song what it is as much as the guitar part, the vocals, etc.
__________________
"I like to play."~Garth Algar
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 PM
brady's Avatar
brady brady is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,322
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Joey Kramer is now playing Ludwig drums!!

There is a brief mention of it on the Ludwig site main page now. It's nice to see big name drummers actually leaving DW as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon. And then offering a long drawn-out explanation of why there are so much better then their previous endorsee. It usually come across as a sort of an odd apology...

At any rate, congratulations to Ludwig for landing Joey Kramer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Zumba_Zumba's Avatar
Zumba_Zumba Zumba_Zumba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 169
Default Re: Joey Kramer

I used to play along to old albums like Toys in the Attic, Get Your Wings, Classics Live (killer drum performance throughout), Draw the Line, and IMO the best album, Rocks. The song "Combination" off of Rocks is so solid and hard hitting. Joey had me scratching my head on the beat he played in the end. I love his playing and I consider him one of my greatest influences even though I haven't liked an Aerosmith album since Pump.
__________________
Give me a liter of cola.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 PM
bonzolead's Avatar
bonzolead bonzolead is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clarkston,MI.
Posts: 2,211
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumba_Zumba View Post
I used to play along to old albums like Toys in the Attic, Get Your Wings, Classics Live (killer drum performance throughout), Draw the Line, and IMO the best album, Rocks. The song "Combination" off of Rocks is so solid and hard hitting. Joey had me scratching my head on the beat he played in the end. I love his playing and I consider him one of my greatest influences even though I haven't liked an Aerosmith album since Pump.
I love early Aerosmith I only put up with late 80's Aerosmith because the chicks dug it LOL

nothing taking away from JK very solid drummer "Walk this way" now there's a money beat
i'm stoked he's back with Ludwig also, bout' time.

Bonzolead
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Lex's Avatar
Lex Lex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 161
Default Re: Joey Kramer

A very powerful and solid player for sure. Maybe with melodic drumfills his playing would be even more cool, but that is my humble opinion. ;) Joey is the jet engine Aerosmith always needed.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Yes, indeed. Joey never overcomes the drums, reasons why, his sound is nice and simple over complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Great stuff! None of those songs would be the same w/out his playing. He's a great example of a drummer who doesn't just hold the song up, but doesn't overplay either. His rhythms make each song what it is as much as the guitar part, the vocals, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Found My Wings Found My Wings is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Posts: 17
Default Re: Joey Kramer

On September 8, 2010 I got to meet the man! Not a penny was paid for this meeting it was all done through Twitter.

He is so kind, so gentle speaking and very generous. When the tweet came in that he was giving me a private book signing I nearly fell over! He signed my book, met my daughter and her boyfriend, answered a few questions for me and I asked him if he broke a stick could he throw it my way. Well he turned to his body guard and asked him to go get me a pair. When the sticks came to me he had also signed them.

I am adding the picture because I love it so much and want to share it with others who will understand. (Sorry about the red eye, I don't usually look like the devil!)

Rock on fellow drummers!

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM
2bsticks's Avatar
2bsticks 2bsticks is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Waltham Ma
Posts: 1,038
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Great picture, and good to hear he is a down to earth person. Not enough of them in this business.
__________________
DW Performance, Magstar Drums, 1971 Slingerlands, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Vic Firth, Remo
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,223
Default Re: Joey Kramer

Yep, outstanding rock drummer. And a real class act. First time I saw Aeorsmith was 1975, the Toys in the Attic tour, Los Angeles Forum. Joey was driving Ludwig back then ... great to hear he's back with them (came to his senses).
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com