DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-25-2006, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Tomas Haake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalic
It starts of with something sounding like a train moving through a station, and that sort of fades into the song. There's also a "beep beep beep beep" type thing at the begining of the song.
I know that's not a great description, but it's all I can remember right now (the song's not on this computer). I can try and upload a little of it later though, if noone's sure.
That sounds like the opening track to Destroy Erase Improve, "Future Breed Machine".

I agree with Finn - check out DEI and Nothing. Both albums have some great grooves in them...
Old 04-26-2006, 01:42 AM

From what I've read Tomas say in some recent interviews, their next CD will be more "in your face" Meshuggah style with Tomas recording the drum tracks this time. Catch 33 was just an experiment that focused on guitar riffs, so it made sense they way the CD was written to use programed drums. So I guess that means we can look forward to a more of a heavy/harsh/brutal Chaosphere style next time around. But they always evolve, so I'm sure it will sound original. An early 2007 release is what I've heard...
Old 04-26-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meshuggah1324
From what I've read Tomas say in some recent interviews, their next CD will be more "in your face" Meshuggah style with Tomas recording the drum tracks this time. Catch 33 was just an experiment that focused on guitar riffs, so it made sense they way the CD was written to use programed drums. So I guess that means we can look forward to a more of a heavy/harsh/brutal Chaosphere style next time around. But they always evolve, so I'm sure it will sound original. An early 2007 release is what I've heard...
That's amazing news. I can't wait to hear what they'll morph into next.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npx
That sounds like the opening track to Destroy Erase Improve, "Future Breed Machine".
Thanks, that's probably it. Future Breed Machine does sound familiar.

Just another question... how do you guys pick out the time signatures in Meshuggah? Like whenever I write out a song, I always start by first going through and putting down what the time signature changes or whatever are. With Meshuggah, I can never pick them out. What are some things I should try and listen for?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Thanks, that's probably it. Future Breed Machine does sound familiar.

Just another question... how do you guys pick out the time signatures in Meshuggah? Like whenever I write out a song, I always start by first going through and putting down what the time signature changes or whatever are. With Meshuggah, I can never pick them out. What are some things I should try and listen for?
Here's a hint: A lot more of it than you would possibly imagine is actually in 4/4.

For an example of some of the tricks they use, search for a thread I started called something like "Nightmare transcription assistance".
Old 04-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Here's a hint: A lot more of it than you would possibly imagine is actually in 4/4.
That's something I'm CONSTANTLY trying to let people in on. They always say "Oh man that band uses the CRAZIEST time signatures ALL THE TIME DUDE like WHOOOOOA!!!!!" and that's just simply not the case most of the time.

Their greatness lies within their ability to make you THINK it's not a recognizable time signature. I freaking love that band.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedup
That's something I'm CONSTANTLY trying to let people in on. They always say "Oh man that band uses the CRAZIEST time signatures ALL THE TIME DUDE like WHOOOOOA!!!!!" and that's just simply not the case most of the time.

Their greatness lies within their ability to make you THINK it's not a recognizable time signature. I freaking love that band.
I couldn't believe it, but the whole Nothing album is in 4/4, as said Haake in an old interview.

It doesn't seem so much appriciated by fans, but I love the most "I". I was intruced to Meshuggah by this EP and it's one the best metal piece i've heard. Makes me feel i'm breathing frozen air !
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchein Vouivra
It doesn't seem so much appriciated by fans, but I love the most "I". I was intruced to Meshuggah by this EP and it's one the best metal piece i've heard. Makes me feel i'm breathing frozen air !
"I" is great stuff. I really enjoy it too, it's some of the most vital recent Meshuggah stuff. It sort of reminds me of a cross between some of the stuff on Fredrik's solo album and Chaosphere.

I got on board with Chaosphere after reading an interview with Haake in Modern Drummer. I don't really think that Meshuggah have yet managed to make the album they have the potential to realise, but I'm hoping they do it one day. Every single one of their albums since DEI has had at least flashes of utter genius.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:47 PM

Haake f*cking rules! He's crazy. Absolutely not standard thinking. Creative mind. Olny he can create that polyrythmic stuff. I just love it. I wish I could play like him. I really love Meshuggah. And Tomas is the first drummer for me. He and Chris Adler. Those are two ppl I'd give really much for them to teach me.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 PM

His kit... *bows down*
Old 06-29-2006, 08:33 PM

Hell...and that's his "old" kit! His new kit is Godly. Haake owns.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastic
Hell...and that's his "old" kit! His new kit is Godly. Haake owns.
*shudders* Do you have a pic of his "new" kit?... Pleeeeaaaasssseeee *wide smile*
Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 PM

It's an upgraded Sonor kit.

http://www.returntothepit.com/amimet...t.php?id=16895
Old 06-29-2006, 09:51 PM

Yay!.... Thank you =D
Old 07-01-2006, 11:38 PM

I recently finished writing out the drum part to a Between The Buried And Me song, so now I'm looking for another challenge...

I think I wanna try writing out a Meshuggah song now. I was thinking about trying Future Breed Machine, but I think I wanna try something a little easier to start. Not necessarily easy on drums, rather easier to follow overall.

Any reccomendations? I'm guessing Nothing would be a good album to start with, since I've been told it's all in 4/4. I only have Catch Thirty Three, I, and parts of Destroy Erase Improve currently.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:49 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Any reccomendations? I'm guessing Nothing would be a good album to start with, since I've been told it's all in 4/4. I only have Catch Thirty Three, I, and parts of Destroy Erase Improve currently.
My picks would probably be "Closed Eye Visuals" from Nothing or "Elastic" from Chaosphere if I was going to do one.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:21 PM

I agree with finnhiggins. Also you can try "Spasm" ("Nothing") or "Obsidan" ("Nothing").
Old 07-03-2006, 12:07 AM

I would think Rational Gaze would be one of the easiest Meshuggah songs to write out on drums.

PS - For Meshuggah fans....

A re-mix of Meshuggah's NOTHING cd is going to re-release around August or September of this year. This re-mix sounds a lot better than the original, and bonus live footage from their last tour will be included also!

Fredrik Thordendal was the one to re-mix and re-master it. Should be interesting. And from what I hear, they're done re-mixing Nothing and are gearing up to write their next "new" cd.

*Meshuggah had to rush the mixing and mastering of Nothing because of Ozzfest in 2002, so this gave them the chance to re-mix and re-master the cd and re-release it with bonus live footage before they put out a new cd (which I guess will still be released in 2007). So be on the look out for this in the coming months!
Old 07-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Yeah! Tomas Haake has it al:
-> Independence
-> Creativity
-> Speed
-> Power
-> Grace

I CAN GO FOREVER :p lolololol
But what´s more about Tomas is his ability to create very awsome odd-time signatures

He rulez :)
Old 08-17-2006, 10:35 PM

Tomas Haake is one of the best drummers ive yet to hear...and ive heard alot. The one big thing that drew me to him well my drum teacher showed me the band...but ive heard one of his drum solo's and you can hear licks of jazz and latin feel groves in it...so i mean hes not a to hard core metal...but thats the gig hes got and he makes money....so im sure hes happy
Old 08-19-2006, 04:34 AM

Hey guys, how do you pronouce 'Haake', like hock, hack??
Old 08-19-2006, 07:57 PM

after listening to all the praises in this thread .. i just heard a couple of meshuggah songs ......... umm well .... didn't like it ...... no melody ..... but yes a lot of aggression .. and better than other gutteral bands ....... but the target market of this type of band is post juvenile pre-adult listeners who gets angry at anything and everything in the world ....

but nontheless Tomas Haake samples in DFH site is really very intense ...
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 PM

btw guys ... can anyone point me to some recordings of Tomas where he is playing with some other bands/people ????? obviously non-aggressive musical bands .....
Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_boy_in
after listening to all the praises in this thread .. i just heard a couple of meshuggah songs ......... umm well .... didn't like it ...... no melody ..... but yes a lot of aggression .. and better than other gutteral bands ....... but the target market of this type of band is post juvenile pre-adult listeners who gets angry at anything and everything in the world ....

think thats a pretty lazy statement you made. maybe listen to destroy erase improve a few times.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:

If you looked into their lyrical concepts, written for the most part by the drummer which is pretty unique, you'll find that they can, and do, reach a much wider audience outside of angst-ridden teenagers.

In addition, I don't see how your take on their target audience has anything to do with his playing.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedup
you'll find that they can, and do, reach a much wider audience outside of angst-ridden teenagers.

In addition, I don't see how your take on their target audience has anything to do with his playing.
friend, I was talking about the musical expression that the band has chosen and the lack of melody......

right now before posting this I was listening to Stanton Moore's mambo variations which Bernhard has uploaded ...... and prior to that I was listening to Trilok Gurtu's old albums ........and now Meshuggah's Glints Collide number.......... well .... you hear them and then tell me yourself why Meshuggah sounded so bitter to my ears ....... face the fact: you have to be in a particular frame of mood to enjoy Meshuggah or maybe i should simply shut my musical mind and pay attention only to the technicalities.
This remind me of one memorable scene from the brilliant movie Amadeus (offcourse I know Amadeus is just a fiction with real characters, and also you see it if you have'nt yet). In the context of the movie Salieri himself was a technically brilliant, famous and well trained musician.

(copy pasting)
[Having played two pieces of music to the priest, who doesn't recognize either]
Salieri: Can you remember no melody of mine? I was the most famous composer in Europe. I wrote 40 operas alone.

I never questioned Tomas' abilities per-se thats why asked whether someone can point me towards any other form of musical setting where Tomas has played .. am sure he must be awesome otherwise they would not have sampled his chops in the first place......

from that toontrack site itself I found Morgan Agren to be very versatile .... versatility and "can execute"/independance are different things .... for example .. for the last 4/5 months am practicing salsa, bossa and mambo ... I can execute the exercises as far as the signature goes and am comfortable with most of the applicable tempos but somehow i feel that typical brazilian swing is not coming ...... maybe i need to listen more and play along Bossa records.........so coming to the point .. i can now incorporate some cool samba bass ostinatos and have some clave patterns thrown in my rock 4/4 beat ..but does that mean that am a great fusion drummer who can improvise at will ??

hope you are getting what am trying to say ....

Last edited by geek_boy_in; 08-27-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 PM

http://www.metal-temple.com/interview.asp?id=244 <------ Interview
Old 09-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan

I guess you can:P But the correct is like it spells... in swedish. "Haak-e" *Swedish e and a pronounce;p*
Old 09-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardan
"Hark".

blasted 20 characters
Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyyabjee
"Hark".

blasted 20 characters
not really. its the a sound of bark and then a short e like in the. hopefully someone understands that.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying here but from what I've found, Meshuggah has a wide reaching fan base, if you go to their forum their are all kinds of different people. Their lyrical concepts, especially the newer stuff, aren't at all similar to what you described. Again from my experience, their fans enjoy their music because of its technicality and agressiveness, but they also enjoy many other types of music. I don't know many people who listen to this band because they are angry at the world, more because they understand what the band is trying to accomplish and can respect the amazing technicality and structure.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinx
I understand what you are saying here but from what I've found, Meshuggah has a wide reaching fan base, if you go to their forum their are all kinds of different people. Their lyrical concepts, especially the newer stuff, aren't at all similar to what you described. Again from my experience, their fans enjoy their music because of its technicality and agressiveness, but they also enjoy many other types of music. I don't know many people who listen to this band because they are angry at the world, more because they understand what the band is trying to accomplish and can respect the amazing technicality and structure.
Now thats just a great post.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyyabjee
"Hark".

blasted 20 characters
Really? I always just pronounced it "Hake." Haha.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Does anyone have any info on his kit and cymbals? I used the Sabian site for his cymbals but the pic from behind his kit shown earlier in this thread shows a china on the left of the kit not listed on the Sabian site, also I'd like to know sizes and specs of his drums - the Sonor site is rubbish for info like that, when I was looking for info on Danny Carey thankfully I managed to use his website and magazine interviews...

Thanks

Al

EDIT: Forget that about the cymbals I mis-read the info on the Sabian site, but I would still like to know about Tomas' drums (i.e. line [I know they're Sonor...], sizes etc), heads, hardware, sticks, any electronics he might use in conjunction with the kit etc

Last edited by altered_beast; 09-24-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Tomas at Drummer Live this past Sunday...

http://www.drummerworld.com/reports/...omashaake.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/reports/...rLive2006.html
Old 09-30-2006, 07:18 PM

Wow, nice pics of Haake, his set looks so nice too...
Old 09-30-2006, 08:06 PM

I'm pretty sure his drums are of the Designer series, and I think the finish could be African Bubinga?... heres a link to the Designer finishes... http://www.sonor.com/temp_FE/downloa...s_de-engl..pdf ...
Old 10-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Well, I'm Dutch, so I can translate it somewhat. So don't blame me, I'm just the messenger, but:

"Kiss my ass, Tomas Haake can't even play a normal 4/4 beat. Such a damned noob, he should learn to play 4/4."

Right...
Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
ok leute leckt mich doch am arsch.thomas haake kann nicht mal einen 4/4 takt halten
so ein verdammter noob, der soll mal 4/4 lernen
thanks cloggy.
vampirenightmchine, thomas reads this thread and your baseless drivel is not appreciated. be nice, use only english and be warned.
don't bash haake

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-02-2006, 05:37 PM

He should learn how to play in 4/4? hahahahaha. Haake rules you.