DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

Default Smooth Whites

anyone use Smooth Whites...on snare in particular, but Toms too ?

i love my coated Emp on snare, but iḿ starting to think that a Smooth White would be more articulate and give me most of what i get from the Coated variety. i donīt use brushes (yet).
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Smooth Whites

Hi,

I used them on a set of Pearl Masters (toms only) and they were very warm and punchy tuned low. I also used them on Yamaha Absolutes medium/high tension and they sounded good but I prefer the clear emperor for those drums. You may want to look into the ambassador X coated heads, single ply but 20% thicker than ambassadors a nice crossover between emperor and ambassador.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bsticks View Post
Hi,

I used them on a set of Pearl Masters (toms only) and they were very warm and punchy tuned low. I also used them on Yamaha Absolutes medium/high tension and they sounded good but I prefer the clear emperor for those drums. You may want to look into the ambassador X coated heads, single ply but 20% thicker than ambassadors a nice crossover between emperor and ambassador.
i used the Black X on snare and liked it a lot. it was my first snare head purchase and i didnīt know what to listen for at that time (not saying iīm there yet, but my ear is definitely better than it was). i do plan to try that one again...i guess i have a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth with the Black X snare because almost immediately after putting the head on, the top ply split into a hole that was the width of the shorter side of a credit card. i did like the sound though.

so you never used the Smooth White on snare ?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm a single ply guy, (except for snare) but if I had to use something different for toms, smooth whites would be it. I have them on a beater Yamaha kit and I always get compliments on the sound of that cheap kit. Even more than my DW's it seems.
They are warm and punchy, easy to get a nice sound from. But your ears are the boss.