DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 PM

Default I hate my Iron Cobra.

I've got the flexi glide, had it for 3 months. Hate it. No matter how much I adjust it, it sucks. I've owned many pedals, I'm not ignorant, I just don't like it. Never has felt natural.

So, recommend a new one for me. I play single pedal, many styles of music (lite jazz to Galactic). Price? I really don't care at this point. The kick pedal is too important a piece of equipment to worry. I should mention that I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have many opportunities to try out different pedals. I've been eyballing the DW 9000 and the new Yamaha direct drives. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AnOasis; 09-17-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: I hate my damned Iron Cobra.

I'm a huge fan of direct drive pedals , they are really sensitivity and have a really good feel.

there are several well made direct drive pedals like the ones you mention and axis and trick.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

DW DW DW DW DW! I can't say it enough.

DW9000 is fantastic but expensive.
I think the DW 5000 dual chain is an amazing pedal. I highly suggest the dual chain over single chain (I've owned both, trust me the dual is worth the extra $$$)

The only problem with the DW's is they seem to rust up easier than the pearl eliminators that I had so keep them clean. They also are prone to squeaking which surprised me so keep them lubed with a little liquid silicone.

My $0.02.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm not a fan of Iron Cobras either.

I used a DW9000 for the longest time. I was planning on buying an electric drum set, so I bought an Iron Cobra to use it on. I hooked up the Iron Cobra to my actual drum kit and used it for about 5 months. One day I decided to try out the 9000 again to see how the two compared. I haven't used the Iron Cobra since and it's basically just a practice pedal now.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

My drum teacher had an IC and I couldn't stand the feel of it, since I've used a DW 5000 for a while now. He had played mine and told me thought it was much more responsive, also.

The 5000 does squeak though, Rocket! I use machine oil but I find myself having to re-lube everything, at least every couple of months. The worse part is the wheel that holds the loop at the top of the spring. It seems like something new is squeaking now though, and I can't quite nail down what it is.

I'm eyeing the 9000 myself, but the Pearl Elims are a lot cheaper and seem every bit as good. Pearl's quality is just unmatched.

I can't stand direct drive pedals. I hate that "stuck to your foot" feeling, which makes doubles feel weird. I guess it just takes some adjusting to get used to.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Well, pedals are like shoes. You gotta find something your foot is going to like. I'm surprised you can't get the IC to do what you want it to do though. It's a very well-engineered pedal. Could you get into specifics about what the problem is?

In it's simplest form, all pedals are just plates connected to a sprocket with a tension spring for you to play against. When I see a pedal, that's pretty much all they are. Is the footboard too long? Too short? Spring tension too high? Too loose? Beater angle way off? Beater too heavy? Too light? Apparently having a heel plate isn't a problem since you'd consider a DW9000 which has a heel plate. Most pedals are the same size too. What is the specific problem?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Try them, try them, try them all. Only way to really know. I have a 9000 and have used just about every adjustment on it to customize it to my liking including switching to the strap. I've tried some yamaha's recently and liked them. Would love to get my feet on a yamaha direct drive but no one around me carries it! :-(

BTW might want to watch the language ;-)
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Try them, try them, try them all. Only way to really know. I have a 9000 and have used just about every adjustment on it to customize it to my liking including switching to the strap. I've tried some yamaha's recently and liked them. Would love to get my feet on a yamaha direct drive but no one around me carries it! :-(

BTW might want to watch the language ;-)
Thanks for the tip ;-) Anyway I can remove that?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOasis View Post
Thanks for the tip ;-) Anyway I can remove that?

See if the edit button shows up in your first post and see if you can edit that way. Just trying to keep you from getting a warning ;-)

So what doesn't "feel natural" about the IC for you?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM

I tried to change it .. it worked for the first post, but in the forum it still has original title. So Bernard if you're reading, I'M SORRY!

Hard to explain, I've played a few Yamaha's and a few DW's in my day, and they all seemed to basically do what I told them, for lack of a better phrase. I got the IC because it was priced right and really just figured I couldn't go wrong. I don't get that same "connection" with this pedal, it really just doesn't feel natural and that I am having to work harder with it. Its my first belt drive pedal, but I have my doubts that this is the problem.

I dunno. Different folks, different strokes...pun intended.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Being a realive noob to drumming I thought a pedal was a pedal for quite some time until I decided to go out looking at more drum gear and found mine sucked! I bought a yamaha pedal and have not been happier it is a ton better than the cheapo ludwig pedal I had. Stick with the yammie
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm leaning toward the Yamaha direct drive. I played one about 6 months ago at a Sam Ash in Nashville. I'm not sure how it gets noticeably better than that thing.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOasis View Post
I tried to change it .. it worked for the first post, but in the forum it still has original title. So Bernard if you're reading, I'M SORRY!

Hard to explain, I've played a few Yamaha's and a few DW's in my day, and they all seemed to basically do what I told them, for lack of a better phrase. I got the IC because it was priced right and really just figured I couldn't go wrong. I don't get that same "connection" with this pedal, it really just doesn't feel natural and that I am having to work harder with it. Its my first belt drive pedal, but I have my doubts that this is the problem.

I dunno. Different folks, different strokes...pun intended.

That's not an uncommon story. What one pedal will work for me may not work for you and vice versa. That's why there are so many options out there and we suggest trying as many as possible so you can find "the one" that works best for you. Just saw a yamaha flying dragon direct drive in mint condition sell on ebay for $80 :-o I'd be checking out ebay if I was you!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Gold Member

The problem might be the weight of the pedal.
go to the Mapex website and check out the Mapex Falcon pedal video.
They look like they would have great feel and almost be an extention of your foot IMO.
I think they are $390 for the double but I dont know about the single. Obviously much less and probably 1/2 or less.

Last edited by Homeularis; 09-17-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

If you can't try before buying, I think Pearl Eliminator is the best option since it has the most numerous different settings - four different cams, three footboard positions for different feel, plus independent footboard angle adjustment, beater angle adjustment and spring tension, of course.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Yamaha Direct Drive gets my vote.
I too, have played IC's, and haven't thought too much of them. For that matter, I've played the DW 9000, and not taken that one home, either.
Right now, I own 2 Yamaha single direct drive pedals. Probably the last "single" pedal I'll need to shop for.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Gold Member

they yammy direct drives feel VERY light. the foot board on them as well is very small.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Im new to the thread but found this subject very interesting i use a dw 9002 most of the time. But when i go to a single pedal occasionally for a small jazz jam session at a friends i bring out the kind of all single pedals my mid 60's ludwig speed king. O what a dream she is. Of course i put alot of time into restoring and evolving her into the beast she is now. But really im not that picky if i went new id go DW any kind really.