DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-03-2010, 12:35 AM

Default Advice on new heads

Hey guys,
So I got a new drum set back at Christmas and it's a Yamaha Gig Maker. I've stuck with the stock heads and found that no matter what I do they sound terrible. I'm looking to get new tom heads, resonant and batter, but I'm not sure what kind. I was thinking I very much enjoy a full yet muted sound like Aquarius heads. Help?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Advice on new heads

What I did for my Yamaha YD was put some Aquarian Coated Super 2's on them.

They are not the most tonally responsive head you will find, but they make a lower quality drum set sound like thunder. It's the darker mylar that Aquarian uses...it gives more oomph and thump to your drum set.

The YD was made out of Philippine Mahogany, not sure what the GigMakers are made out of now.

I'd recommend a set of Super 2's. They're pretty decent. If you were using a birch set the Super 2's would kill it, in which I would recommend something from Evans. However for your situation I think Aquarian would be a good choice.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

GMs are currently basswood and poplar.

As long as the shells are round and the bearing edges are good, 85% of the sound is going to come from your heads and tuning, so I would make the same choice you would with any other kit, i.e., get heads that give you the sound you want.

To my ear the Aquarian films sound a bit dull compared with Remo or Evans equivalents, but many people like them. (Roy Burns is such a classy guy that I wish I liked his heads more!)

What I often do when I get the itch to try new heads is to narrow down my choices to 2 or 3, then buy one of each for just one drum--say, the 12" tom. Try them one after the other and you get a pretty good idea of what a full kit of them will sound like without spending a fortune.

In your case, you might get a G2, an Emperor, and a Response 2. Or whatever.

Resos are easy: get any 10mil clear single-ply heads. If you'd like them to match the brand of the batters, decide on your batters first.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Heres what I did:
I heard G2s were a good head but I talked to the guy at the music shop and he swayed me over to EC2s which is what I got for my 12'' tom. So far they sound... okay. I'd probably get something else next time but it's not terrible. And for my 10" I got Aquarian Super 2s and it sounds pretty good too me. Both drums aren't what I was expecting but it seems to me it's all trial and error. Thanks for the help guys.

It was also hard trying to find something affordable as well so that played a little part in it too. Next head splurge I think I'll go with drumtechdad's advice with the Response, Emperor and/ or G2s