DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Ellipsis Ellipsis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default Pedals Or Me?

So about four months ago I bought a Pearl P902 double pedal and it worked out great for awhile. However lately I can't seem to play straight 16th notes at a slow-medium speed. I can play pretty fast just fine. I'm using heel up and to go faster I just move my feet back on the pedal board and I'd just keep my feet around the middle of pedal for anything in a moderate speed range. I just wanted to get some other peoples opinions...possibly from those who have used this pedal? Has it just worn out? Anything is appreciated.

-Brady
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,851
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Unless the pedal is broken or otherwise malfunctioning, it's gotta be you I'm afraid. There is nothing wrong with the P902 as a pedal. Sure there are better models available, but if the pedal once did the job for you and it's not broken, then I'd suggest revisiting practising at slower speeds.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,268
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Can it be worn out if you say you can go fast and that feels the same?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2010, 03:26 AM
Ellipsis Ellipsis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Even going fast feels different. When I'm trying to play at slower speeds the pedal just doesn't seem to rebound fast enough (despite the tension being all the way tight) and it just gets sloppy, weak, and too light.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2010, 05:50 AM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,157
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

*Might* be that your springs are played out. Best way to know for sure is to borrow pedals or play them at the store and attempt your troubled patterns. But 99% of the time, the thing that's played out rests between your ears.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,830
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
So about four months ago I bought a Pearl P902 double pedal and it worked out great for awhile. However lately I can't seem to play straight 16th notes at a slow-medium speed. I can play pretty fast just fine. I'm using heel up and to go faster I just move my feet back on the pedal board and I'd just keep my feet around the middle of pedal for anything in a moderate speed range. I just wanted to get some other peoples opinions...possibly from those who have used this pedal? Has it just worn out? Anything is appreciated.

-Brady


Definitely worn out dude, happens all the time.

The pedals not worn out, its your settings... time readjust, your foot is making progress.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,268
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Yes, try some new springs. When you think about it, other than the bearings on the shaft, the springs are the only things that would wear out the quickest. Everything else doesn't move all that much, so if nothing's bent on the pedals, you might just need new springs.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,536
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yes, try some new springs. When you think about it, other than the bearings on the shaft, the springs are the only things that would wear out the quickest. Everything else doesn't move all that much, so if nothing's bent on the pedals, you might just need new springs.
That would be my guess, also have you checked the tension on your batter head?
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Ellipsis Ellipsis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

The tension on my batter was actually about the second thing I checked haha. So I went to Guitar Center today and tried some Iron Cobras out, I was able to play anything my brain could come up with. I'm beginning to think it's something with drive shaft possibly because it seems like there's a lot more play in it than there should be. Anyways I'll get it figured out, I'll probably try some new springs. Thanks for all the opinions!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,851
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipsis View Post
So I went to Guitar Center today and tried some Iron Cobras out, I was able to play anything my brain could come up with. I'm beginning to think it's something with drive shaft possibly because it seems like there's a lot more play in it than there should be.
In this one case then, I'm happy to recant.

If you've tried different pedals and are up to speed, then perhaps there indeed is an issue with what you already have.

I just find that waaaaay too often guys are blaming the gear for their own shortcomings, hence my approach in my initial response. I just see far too many threads where people are all too willing to chop and change their gear, but won't put in the time to parctising on that gear. I have not yet seen a peice of equipment play a drummer....too often that thought process is arse about. "If I get better pedals or I get a bigger kit, then I'll play better".......it's just not true. If you put in the time to practice and learn you'll play better.

It's the Indian, not the arrow....as the old saying goes.

I'm glad that this case is an exception and that you've found a solution. I just thought it was worth clarifying my position for future referance. :-)
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,268
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
In this one case then, I'm happy to recant.

If you've tried different pedals and are up to speed, then perhaps there indeed is an issue with what you already have.

I just find that waaaaay too often guys are blaming the gear for their own shortcomings, hence my approach in my initial response. I just see far too many threads where people are all too willing to chop and change their gear, but won't put in the time to parctising on that gear. I have not yet seen a peice of equipment play a drummer....too often that thought process is arse about. "If I get better pedals or I get a bigger kit, then I'll play better".......it's just not true. If you put in the time to practice and learn you'll play better.

It's the Indian, not the arrow....as the old saying goes.

I'm glad that this case is an exception and that you've found a solution. I just thought it was worth clarifying my position for future referance. :-)
Wow. Would guitar players admit when they're wrong? I think not! Drummers are quite the likeable bunch, aren't they?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,851
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Wow. Would guitar players admit when they're wrong? I think not! Drummers are quite the likeable bunch, aren't they?
In this case, it very much appears as if I am wrong. Though I'll wager that in 9 out of every 10 of these types of threads, I'm not. :-)
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Zickosdrummer's Avatar
Zickosdrummer Zickosdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 363
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,268
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
In this case, it very much appears as if I am wrong. Though I'll wager that in 9 out of every 10 of these types of threads, I'm not. :-)
OK. Mr. Smarty-pants. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Ellipsis Ellipsis is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Pedals Or Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
In this one case then, I'm happy to recant.

If you've tried different pedals and are up to speed, then perhaps there indeed is an issue with what you already have.

I just find that waaaaay too often guys are blaming the gear for their own shortcomings, hence my approach in my initial response. I just see far too many threads where people are all too willing to chop and change their gear, but won't put in the time to parctising on that gear. I have not yet seen a peice of equipment play a drummer....too often that thought process is arse about. "If I get better pedals or I get a bigger kit, then I'll play better".......it's just not true. If you put in the time to practice and learn you'll play better.

It's the Indian, not the arrow....as the old saying goes.

I'm glad that this case is an exception and that you've found a solution. I just thought it was worth clarifying my position for future referance. :-)

That's actually why I made this thread, is because I didn't want to just say "Oh my pedals are terrible I need new ones so I can play better" I had been trying to practice and improve myself back to where I had been initially. So...I was curious about what others might think.
A poor craftsman blames his tools ;-)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com