DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 AM

Default Ludwig Classic Maple - Head Selection

With my new Ludwig's, I'm finding them requiring more "know how" in tuning them to my desired sound...First off, Shell sizes: 8x14 Snare (Maple) 11x13 Rack 12x14 Floor
16x16 Floor 16x24 Kick...As a product of the 60's and 70's, Whenever I think drum tone, I go to Ringo Starr, Clive Bunker, Bill Bruford as their music, when recorded, was discerenable through the other instruments and vocals at all times (At least that's what my senses tell me)...Mitch Mitchell , John Bonham seemed to be muddled in the mix at bit more with Bill Ward kind of in between...So, My Ludwig's, I like that clear, soft but firm rolling kind of sound using the shells by themselves with minimal muffling...But, With ability to simulate "When the Levee Breaks" as well...What kind of heads will do this for me ? Investing in heads for entire kit is worth it but would rather hear from others than buy and then find don't like...I've already got several heads that will never see light of day again...Your input is greatly appreciated...All the Best...
Old 08-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ludwig Classic Maple - Head Selection

Bruford on toms was a coated Ambassador over clear Diplomat, and I believe Mitch Mitchell was as well. Bonham as everybody knows was a coated emperor over coated Ambassador. Not sure about the others, but Coated Ambassadors top and bottom would be my suggestion, or maybe a clear or smooth white Ambassador on bottom for a different look. Coated Ambassador over Ambassador snare side reso. For the bass, Either a Coated Emperor or Ambassador batter, with a felt strip for muffling on the heads across the bottom or however you want it. I'm assuming you'll keep the Ludwig logo head as the reso (if it has a muffling ring like a PS3, don't use felt as well), if not, then a Coated Ambassador with the felt strip. If you want, I'd recommend tuning the bottom heads tighter than the batter heads to help with the sound.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Thank you...You've fine tuned my selection with key words (Bruford - Mitchell - Bonham)...I've been using Evans for most part but this gives me Remo which I thought would be more in line with the greats...On Ludwig snare I have Ambassador Black Suede which I really like and on my Gretsch snare I have Fibreskin Powerstroke 3 which is awesome as well...Mucho Gracias Amigo...
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

You CAN'T go wrong with a Coated Ambassador Top and Bottom, or Coated Emp top, Coated Ambassador bottom.

On most of the classic recordings of that time, clear heads I don't think were really out yet, or used by many until maybe the Black dot's came out.

Not sure about the exact time line on clear film head use--the clear head time line police can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, all the early pics of guys had coated heads t&b though.

An Evans combination G1/G1 or G2/G1 coated will work too.... Aqaurian, if that's your taste in film tone etc...

But the Remo combo will sound GREAT on your CM's.

They sound great with anything really, but if you want the type of sound of the drummers you mentioned, the coated t&b is your best bet/starting point.

Try one drum first to save some $$ while you experiment too!

Good luck, and enjoy your drums!!!