DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 AM

Default Just got DW 9002, adjustment help?

I finally replaced my absolutely awful default bass pedal that came with my cheap ludwig accent set. I got the 9002's for about half the price of of craigslist. Now that I finally have a pair of good bass pedals that i can develop my technique on,(Working on things like heel-toe was terrible for my old creaky pedal) I was wondering on where to start in terms of adjusting the tension to my liking? The biggest feature of the 9000's are its infinite adjustment options, but I really have no idea as to where to start. Should I just leave it at the settings the previous owner left it at and try adjusting when I become more experienced, or should I begin experimenting now?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Just got DW 9002, adjustment help?

Be wary of adjusting too much with no goal in mind. Get a feel for the pedal and then adjust one thing at a time if you want a new feel. I'm scared shitless of the 9000 pedals because I feel like I would get really really lost.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Pioneer Member

yes there are a ton of adjustments and one will affect another. I started off with the cam adjustment to get the motion and feel that was right for me then played with spring tension. Then from there I messed with the footboard angle and got it where I liked and had to re-adjust my spring again. Make one adjustment and try it for a few days then readjust until that one feels right before moving to the next thing.

Then after I got it all to my liking played it for a year and switched to the strap, man that's a great switch if you ask me!
Old 08-28-2010, 03:33 PM

I love how those DW9000's look and I can see how you could get lost in all those adjustments.

I'd say adjust the footbed angle first. Find an angle that's comfortable for heel toe where you're not scraping the tips of your toes. Then spring tension. If you're relatively new at drumming I'd tighten it quite a bit to get some more bounce while you're practicing that heel toe technique.

I've been playing 10 years and still have my pedal pretty tight, you might get used to it.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemic View Post
I finally replaced my absolutely awful default bass pedal that came with my cheap ludwig accent set. I got the 9002's for about half the price of of craigslist. Now that I finally have a pair of good bass pedals that i can develop my technique on,(Working on things like heel-toe was terrible for my old creaky pedal) I was wondering on where to start in terms of adjusting the tension to my liking? The biggest feature of the 9000's are its infinite adjustment options, but I really have no idea as to where to start. Should I just leave it at the settings the previous owner left it at and try adjusting when I become more experienced, or should I begin experimenting now?

When you reach a proficient level pedal adjustments are easy, you listen to what your foot tells you it needs. If you're just starting out and your foot can't even talk yet, what you need to do is experiment.

Raise the beater all the way, then half way, then really low, same with foot board, spring too, let your feet feel the differences so it can learn how to speak to you. You need to know the effects the different settings produce, then your body will tell you what you need for adjustments.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 AM

NVM, seemed to be me making the tension far too loose.

How can you tell when both pedals are at the same tension though?

Last edited by onemic; 08-29-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
NVM, seemed to be me making the tension far too loose.

Unless both your feet are the same strength (which they're not one is developed more than the other) you don't want both pedals to have the same tension.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Unless both your feet are the same strength (which they're not one is developed more than the other) you don't want both pedals to have the same tension.
Exactly, you may not make the exact same adjustments to both pedals. You need to adjust each pedal for the feel of that foot.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I like having my pedals set at the same tension even though one is stronger than the other, for the same reason I like to use same sticks in both hands even though they are not the same strength.

I make sure the tension is even by pulling both beaters back the same distance and then releasing them simultaneously. They should swing together at the same frequency as long as possible (the slave beater will probably stop a bit before the main one; don't worry, that's normal).
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
SERIOUSLY DUDE PLAY WITH THE ADJUSTMENTS! it will pay off when you find that sweet setup. and mess around with different beater too, the heavy dws are a good hammer but the iron cobra beaters fly.