DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Default Floor tom isolation mounting

Hey everybody,

So I bought a kit that will arrive with a 16x15 (deep) suspended floor tom. I was planning on having it drilled with authentic parts and using authentic floor tom legs, but am a little loathe to have the drum drilled.

Then it dawned on me that isolation mounts exist for floor toms! I can install legs and not drill the drum!

On my quest to find this part I came across this:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...oducts_id=2266

Does anyone here have any experience with these floor tom mounts? Good experience? Bad experience? There are alot of threads on this subject, but most seem to want to hang a 16" or 18" tom for suspension. I want to go the other way and turn it into a proper floor tom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I won't have to drill this drum!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Floor tom isolation mounting

FYI mate, this link is triggering my anti-virus software. Dodgy link I'm thinking.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm. The link is working for me. Perhaps if I post it from my home computer instead of at work...

Try it now?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Much cheaper, and very effective:

Pearl R-40 Air Suspension Feet

Best $20 I ever spent on the kit. (I have two floors.) Will make you forget all about suspension mounts.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

+1 on the Pearl feet, I use them on all of my floor toms.

Just drill the drum, no shame having a floor tom with legs. Why have the extra size & weight with the RIMS style basket?

Bermuda
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Fella's his FT doesn't have legs from the way I read it, currently it's a hanging floor and he wants a suspension mount system to give it legs without having to drill for the leg hardware.

something like this

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/dynamount.html
Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Hey everybody,

So I bought a kit that will arrive with a 16x15 (deep) suspended floor tom. I was planning on having it drilled with authentic parts and using authentic floor tom legs, but am a little loathe to have the drum drilled.

Then it dawned on me that isolation mounts exist for floor toms! I can install legs and not drill the drum!

On my quest to find this part I came across this:

Does anyone here have any experience with these floor tom mounts? Good experience? Bad experience? There are alot of threads on this subject, but most seem to want to hang a 16" or 18" tom for suspension. I want to go the other way and turn it into a proper floor tom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I won't have to drill this drum!

If you don't want to drill this is the way. I'm not a fan of drilling toms for fl tom legs b/c my experience has been 'tastes change'... you some day may be OK with a hanging fl tom again, even actually need it.

The WORLDMAX looks smarter. With the GAUGER you'll need to buy leg brackets and legs, an added cost.

The WORLDMAX also has a thinner profile when its all $aid and done, a big plus.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
If you don't want to drill this is the way. I'm not a fan of drilling toms for fl tom legs b/c my experience has been 'tastes change'... you some day may be OK with a hanging fl tom again, even actually need it.

The WORLDMAX looks smarter. With the GAUGER you'll need to buy leg brackets and legs, an added cost.

The WORLDMAX also has a thinner profile when its all $aid and done, a big plus.

Thanks Les, I am at work and just googledfloor tom suspension legs while at lunch and grabbed the first link as an example so others could see what he was talking about. The worldmax does look better than the gauger
Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks everybody - I even got a response from Bermuda! Thank you sir!

Yeah, the drum I have is not currently drilled.

Well, money-wise, it will cost more to get the Tama mounts and legs, plus I'd have to order them in black nickel, which will take more time, and cost me about $100 for the whole thing, and then have Pro Drum drill it for me. The cradle only cost me $60, so I'm gonna try that first. If it doesn't work, I can always return it.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

i dunno if they would work for tama floor toms but i see mapex iso mounts (3 mounts and 3 legs) on ebay frequently for around $50. but my initial guess would be the lug holes wouldn't match up...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Hmm. It's an 8-lug floor tom, and the cradle is built for 8-lug floor toms....Is Tama cranking out 9-lug drums?

I ordered one today - I'll keep ya' posted. If it doesn't work, then I go the leg route. I have no problem with drilled floor tom mounts, just that this drum didn't come with any to begin with, so this is the cheapest alternative to start with.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Most all 16's are 8 lug, so it will most likely fit.

Watch out if you have LUDWIGS made in China though, some 14's have 6 lugs... way to go LUDWIG!

Last edited by Les Ismore; 08-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM

Ive ordered the worldmax dss floor tom mount, should receive it Monday, so Ill give you the skinny once Ive set it up.

am actually qhuite excited.

mounting a 14" gretsch rack tom rebuild and didnt wanna drill into it.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
i dunno if they would work for tama floor toms but i see mapex iso mounts (3 mounts and 3 legs) on ebay frequently for around $50. but my initial guess would be the lug holes wouldn't match up...
do you have any experience with this kind of mounting system? , I was wondering which would have more sustain the worldmax dss floor tom mount or the mapex iso mounts
Old 09-01-2010, 08:26 AM

The worldmax dss arrived yesterday. Very impressed, really sturdy, and can't wait to finish the drum to use it, really easy to set up, and I reckon it looks lush.

My advice, get one.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedevilsst View Post
The worldmax dss arrived yesterday. Very impressed, really sturdy, and can't wait to finish the drum to use it, really easy to set up, and I reckon it looks lush.

My advice, get one.

And the final cost to your door was?

Some good pics would be nice, show the brackets and legs... stuff you can't see worth a darn on the web.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Some good pics would be nice, show the brackets and legs... stuff you can't see worth a darn on the web.
Mine arrives today along with the drums. I paid $70 (total with shipping, no tax) for the whole thing including legs to fit an 8-lug 16" floor tom.

I looked up the Tama parts I would need to mount legs on the drum. The mounts, which are the same as the tom mounts, are $25 each, and a set of Tama legs costs about $50. Since I have that dark nickle finish for the hardware, no one stocks these so it would be a special order that I'd have to wait even longer for. Once I get it set-up later today, I'll post some pictures.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:

cost to my door was 56.

I have taken some pics, but cant put them on here thru the iphone (at least I couldnt last night)

Ill get em on tonight.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Hopefully those will still fit in your case or bag without going up one size.
Nice price on that cradle with shipping and all.

But try the Pearl Suspension feet anyway if you get a chance--even with the cradle.

I have them on all my floor toms too, and they're great.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 AM
Platinum Member

OK. Got the drums today and the floor tom mount. So after doing some cleaning and such, here's a couple of pictures of this thing mounted on the drum. It looks good and does what they say it will.

Unfortunately, after it's installed, I don't think it'll fit into a 16" floor tom case now. Lucky for me, I already have an old 18" case lying around. The cradle that encircles the drum does make it bigger.

Not bad considering it was only $70 with shipping!
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Would've helped if the drum key bolts were side mounted. The key bolts will easily tear through a bag... well so now they have something to improve on.

You could remove them and try memory locks on the legs, if you can find the right size, maybe hose clamps will work if there's no rattling.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Bo---as a former custom drum builder, I used to install the W/Max floor tom suspension rings as you have on your kit on a LOT of sets I sold. They do offer the sustain as they advertised but there are a couple of things to consider with them. The Gauger RIMS were the originals and everyone else is real close. Case in point, on the Gauger RIMS model, you'll see small springs on each of the four mounting places that the ring attaches to the drum lugs. You did not get these springs on the W/Max version as it is copyrighted by Gauger for their RIMS only. Hence, actually less resonance than the Gauger version. You can get the springs direct from Gauger online...they know why! Check them out online, their site explains the difference. Secondly, the small drum key type screws that hold the f/tom leg in place strip after a while so some kind of memory lock is recommended. Other than that, it's a good, inexpensive way to suspend floor toms, but they do need some upkeep. Heads up buddy...great looking gear and best of luck with your new purchase. Any questions just pm me here...dave
Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
OK. Got the drums today and the floor tom mount. So after doing some cleaning and such, here's a couple of pictures of this thing mounted on the drum. It looks good and does what they say it will.

Unfortunately, after it's installed, I don't think it'll fit into a 16" floor tom case now. Lucky for me, I already have an old 18" case lying around. The cradle that encircles the drum does make it bigger.

Not bad considering it was only $70 with shipping!
Have u played on it yet? does it feel sturdy.

Mine's an incomplete project, still need the lugs and to drill, as its a concert tom, so not cracked it open yet.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utdrummer View Post
Bo---as a former custom drum builder, I used to install the W/Max floor tom suspension rings as you have on your kit on a LOT of sets I sold. They do offer the sustain as they advertised but there are a couple of things to consider with them. The Gauger RIMS were the originals and everyone else is real close. Case in point, on the Gauger RIMS model, you'll see small springs on each of the four mounting places that the ring attaches to the drum lugs. You did not get these springs on the W/Max version as it is copyrighted by Gauger for their RIMS only. Hence, actually less resonance than the Gauger version. You can get the springs direct from Gauger online...they know why! Check them out online, their site explains the difference. Secondly, the small drum key type screws that hold the f/tom leg in place strip after a while so some kind of memory lock is recommended. Other than that, it's a good, inexpensive way to suspend floor toms, but they do need some upkeep. Heads up buddy...great looking gear and best of luck with your new purchase. Any questions just pm me here...dave
UTDRUMMER:
I cant see anything on the gauger site for ordering these springs, do I just mail them direct? What sort of price are they and are they really worth adding??

cheers.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm not clear on how these are mounted.
Are the legs clamped to the ring? Could you just clamp the legs on to the drum's lower rim?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Right now, a whole 24 hours later, the drum is pretty sturdy on this device. I've played the drum a few times and it holds up well.

The pieces that attach to the ring clamp themselves to the ring with the large wing nut you see on the bottom. They are machined to fit the ring, they can't be put on the hoop directly because it doesn't give you the reach - and if you did it, the legs would now be at an extreme angle to the floor.

I'd look into the springs in time, but I really went this way because the alternative to installing Tama parts would cost too much. The large rubber spacers they gave (and they gave two complete sets - one as a spare I suppose) work out fine. It'd be nice if there was more room between the Tama lug and the die cast hoop, but it'll have to do for now.

I have some extra memory locks lying around, I'll get those on the legs to relieve the stress on the drum key operated tightening screws. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 AM

onedevilsst---yeah, give Gauger a call and they'll hook you up with the springs. Not free, but they are available and they do make a bit of a difference. They were designed to operate with the springs. They should still have an attachment that comes with the springs to show you how to mount them. Just between the lug and the ring...best of luck.