DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Default Yamaha DTXtreme III special or Roland TD12kx

Hi,
I have recently decided on getting an electric drum kit. So far i have found two kit, one is a Yamaha Dtxtreme 3 and the other is a Roland Td12kx. I like both of these kits but i cannot decide what to get. Any advice and info about other kits will be very helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Yamaha DTXtreme III special or Roland TD12kx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific-progrock2010 View Post
Hi,
I have recently decided on getting an electric drum kit. So far i have found two kit, one is a Yamaha Dtxtreme 3 and the other is a Roland Td12kx. I like both of these kits but i cannot decide what to get. Any advice and info about other kits will be very helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've owned both brands...personnally I prefer the DTXtreme III (own that module now)...drum/cymbal sounds are more realistic (IMO), three zone triggering on all pads (as opposed to two zone on the roland), the module has more editing capability, as well as having the ability to sample sounds...additionally OWD (ocean way drums), SSD (steven slate drums) and yamaha have created some additional downloadable kits that can be uploaded to the module that sound really nice....just my 2 cents...
Old 09-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Gold Member

I've owned Roland only. I've played several Yamaha kits, which is cool. I have downloaded a lot of Vdrum kits from vexpressionsltd.com, which are awesome. You have to decide what's best for yourself and what feels best.

Davo
Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 AM

I'm in same boat. The TD-12's are $700-800 more than the 3's..or am I mistaken?

I just don't hear or see a $800 difference. The DTX 3's seem to be a better all around kit....and cheaper. I do know the pads and cymbals are much cheaper if you want to upgrade later.

I have a MM6 motif keyboard and it does sound better than roland stuff..don't know if drums are the same.

I'm looking to buy this weekend. How far are you from buying?
Pearl Masters- red glass
Old 09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFart View Post
I'm in same boat. The TD-12's are $700-800 more than the 3's..or am I mistaken?

I just don't hear or see a $800 difference. The DTX 3's seem to be a better all around kit....and cheaper. I do know the pads and cymbals are much cheaper if you want to upgrade later.

I have a MM6 motif keyboard and it does sound better than roland stuff..don't know if drums are the same.

I'm looking to buy this weekend. How far are you from buying?
You won't hear/see a $800 difference...The III is a much better kit IMO...actually the sounds in the III are a little better than the MM6...I believe they may be newer motif sound samples...also with the III you can upgrade the firmware for free (recommended) at DTXperience and later on you can upgrade to the the new TCS (textured cellular silicone) pads...quieter than anything currently...also supposed to feel more realistic (to real drums)...just my 2 cents....
Old 09-18-2010, 03:21 PM

I am liking the Yamaha gear a lot lately. I still have a TD20 but all my pads are Yamaha. I would go 100% Yamaha but I prefer the VH12 hihats to anything else on the market. My vote for you is the DTXtreme III.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:43 PM

I would definately go with the TD12KX. Its easy to use and feels much more like a real kit

I got mine here http://www.projectmusic.net/roland-td12kx-5756-p.asp
Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 PM

DTX3 hands down. I played a TD-12 and DTX3 at the same time for a week in my house. The yamaha was better in every way. Mesh is mesh, and does not feel any closer to acoustic than yamaha's rubber. The yamaha has better features, sounds, and is priced well under the td-12.
I added a new 12" silicone snare pad and will say that these feel better than mesh and are more realistic to me. These are the closet you will get to acoustic feel, without going acoustic.

Make a list of features and you will see what I'm talking about. Sampling alone is worth it's weight in gold...roland players don't know what they are missing. I have a-customs and xplsions in all sizes sampled and can play them in a moments notice. I have 22 acoustic snares that have been sampled..well almost all. Stack/alt is another feature that truly allows you to be as creative as you want. 3 zone pads and 3 zone cymbals all around also make it more versatile....etc, etc, etc.

You could buy a DTX3 for $2400 add new pads and still come in under the TD-12. You could then sell the TP pads and make $80-100 bucks back for each one.
Pearl Masters- red glass