DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Head Questions with no end...

Default e-mad

Hey gang if I was going to use an e-mad wich would you recomened 1ply or 2ply. Remember the kick is birch
Old 08-24-2010, 02:53 AM

Default Re: e-mad

well it really depends on how hard you play. if you end up get the 1 ply put an evans EQ patch. I have the 1 ply EMAD with an evans EQ patch and it sounds great!!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:03 AM

Do you think the 1ply emad is better then the eq4?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 AM

Well it depends on what sound you want. What style music do you play? And what sound do you want out of you bass drum?

EQ4 Batter Clear Drumhead-

Warm with pronounced low-end and punch, the 10mil 1-ply EQ4 provides durability and a woody attack that speaks live and in the studio. The width of the internal control ring varies in proportion to head diameter, giving control to larger drums and lower tunings.

EMAD Batter Clear Drumhead-

An ideal balance of punch, power, and low-end...the EMAD is a 10mil 1-ply head that employs an externally mounted adjustable damping system with two interchangeable damping rings that allow the player to adjust attack and focus. It delivers a singular oomph that'll support the fattest of backbeats.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 AM

I play in two bands an all original prog rock outfit and a classic rock cover band.I use the same kit for both bands.I'm a heavy hitter that's why Ledfoot was given to me.I want a fat sounding kick that hits rite in the chest.Something that can cut unmiced. What do think about a Power Center Revearse Dot snare head?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:55 AM

I have never used the Evans Reverse Dot but I have heard very good things about them. I recommend you try them out i'm sure it will sound good. With the bass heads I think any of those two you will be happy with. (never used the EQ4 though) but I know for sure if you get the EMAD it will sound good for the punchiness. Like i said also put one of those EQ patches on your head because it will make it last much longer. But at the very end it comes back to your preference search the internet for reviews. Also go to Evansdrumheads.com they give you a description on all there heads. I use the Evans HD Dry and the regular HD snare heads they sound great also.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 AM

What do you use on your toms? Would an HD Dry kill the sound of a birch snare?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 AM

I use EC2's on my toms. The HD Dry will take some of the overtones out. Do you want your snare drum to resonate? Do you want your toms to resonate? The EC2's take out overtones too.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 AM

I heard the EC2's are not good unless your miced.I like a little ring on my snare
Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Silver Member

If you want something that can really cut it un-miced or miced, the EMAD may not be for you. 1 or 2 ply. Unless you just take off the external dampening entirely then you'll be increasing the volume, sustain and a little low end. But if you do that, then why buy a pre-muffled head?

If you want something that can be heard without mics get something without any pre-muffling on it, keep the reso head bare and don't put anything inside. From the drivers seat you'll hear sustain and resonance. From the audience perspective, they'll just hear a louder drum. Obviously if you're miced up you have the opportunity to muffle it as you please.
xoxo
Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFoot65 View Post
I play in two bands an all original prog rock outfit and a classic rock cover band.I use the same kit for both bands.I'm a heavy hitter that's why Ledfoot was given to me.I want a fat sounding kick that hits rite in the chest.Something that can cut unmiced. What do think about a Power Center Revearse Dot snare head?
If you want the drum to be heard unmiked, go for the 1-ply EMAD. 1-ply heads are louder than 2-ply heads. Do not use a muffled reso or a port.

If you really want a loud bass drum for unmiked playing, go for a head with less muffling, such as a PS3 or EQ4. No port and nothing in the drum. Tune for sustain, a little higher than JAW.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:46 PM

EQ4 not as good as PS3?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

I have the emad 1 and just for kicks one day I took the muffle ring off and...

Holy loud bass drum batman!! Easily doubled the volume of the kick (from the drivers seat)

The volume increase was mostly in the upper frequency range, producing a more pronounced "slap" (which is what you need to cut through thick gtrs and bass)

the reso head on the kick makes a BIG difference. I have an unported aquarian regulator that I swear it sounds like there's a freakin subwoofer in the room!!! This thing adds low end like no other (erm...that I've tried) I think it is due to the muffling being close to the center - adding more mass to the center of the head produces more sustain.

That combo produces some pretty earth shaking results IMO....but not recommended if you gonna mic it up

Power center reverse dot heads for snare are great the center dot gives your snare a lil thicker attack - more beef
Old 08-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFoot65 View Post
EQ4 not as good as PS3?
I believe that was answered rather thoroughly in your other thread. Short answer: they're both good.