DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 AM

Default Need advice please

Hello everyone,
I have been saving for quite a while for my dream drum kit
the "tama starclassic bubinga" in the ultraviolet sparkle color.
Tama has been so "kind" enough to make the finish for me. It is a custom order, with custom sizes ect.

However as of January 2010, tama got new finishes ect, and said that they would only make the finish in the "elite series" ok I can deal with the price upgrade, it is going to be made in japan, instead of china, with the best craftsmanship ect.

After researching and studying everything, I am ready to purchase my kit.

I emailed a tama online representative and they told be it is a WRAP NOT A LACQUER finishes........what?

I am paying over $5000 for a wrap, excuse me? Tama has been making this finish in the lacquer finish for so many years, since 2007, and even last year in the 2009 catalog. Everyone I've spoke to who has this finish has it in the lacquer.
This is my dream kit, and I am desperately into that color, yes I know aesthetic is not that important, but I was so close to my dream kit, with a minor problem.

Should I fight for it? China is cheaper than japan........but the quality seems to be more worse in japan :/

Sorry for this complaining,
Ania
Attached Images

Last edited by Ania84; 08-21-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:53 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Being Ripped off, need advice please

i would call tama and talk to a different rep. maybe the rep you talked to was just confused and thought it was a wrap. even if he is correct it doesn't hurt to double check and confirm the facts before you decide.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Yeah, I did win a tama contest and it was a lady that answered my question on the kit from social relations so I think they might have gotten confused
trying to get this color is like being in a battlefield tama won't even make it in the bubinga series but the elite series which is more expensive
Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

I'd really talk to someone else.
It's listed in the catalog as a Lacquer and in regular SC Bubinga so what gives??
Something new and stupid they are doing in 2010??

Is it REALLY worth over 5K to you?

I'm not saying it shouldn't, but wow, I can't imaging being THAT into a finish to pay that kind of EXTRA money--and I've been known to spend the change on something I want.
I'd just be SURE it's what you want, and not one of those obsessive things we drummers can get when we want a piece of equipment.
It's REALLY HARD to walk away from something you can't stop thinking about but it
also really sucks after you get it, and after a short while, the coolness of it fades fast--and then you think "I could have spent that extra on "______" instead! "what was I thinking?"

I've had that happen and it ain't cool. Fortunately, those haven't been big money "I wish I woulda's" Just a few that do add up to a bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide!! Bubinga drums do sound awesome.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ania84 View Post

Should I fight for it?
Ultra Violet is definitely a lacquer.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Tama sounds like they want to make it difficult for you to do business with them. How much are you willing to give up, in terms of money, time, and effort, to earn the privilege of getting what you want from them?

There is quality, speed and price. You may only have two of these, but you are entitled to two of these. I don't think you're even getting one.

Find another company that actually wants your business. Maybe the global economy for new, custom drums is going gangbusters and Tama can be picky about whom they allow to buy a set from them.

I'm just amazed to hear this.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 PM
audiotech

Ania84, I sent you a PM.

Dennis