The MacBook Report

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Hi all,
I began this thread to mark a milestone for me.
It was three years ago that I bought my MacBook computer.

During these past three years, I have used this computer an average of four hours a day.
I have taken it to work with me everyday in a dirty automotive repair shop.
I have dropped it from my workbench at work
I have used it next to my drum kit at gigs and practice.
This computer goes wherever I go.
This machine has never had a mishap of any kind!
It has locked up now and then because of my stupidity, But I was always able to quickly snap it back into shape with a simple reboot.

I have very limited knowledge of computers, So this has nothing to do with me!

I have used this computer so much that the plastic where my palms rest is worn away at the edges where the top section meets the bottom section.

I've had four non Apple computers before this one. None of them have ever gone more than a few months before I started having problems with them that simply frustrated me enough to stop using them.

Do any of you have similar stories to tell about your Mac?
I have decided that I am going to continue to use this computer until smoke bellows from its guts!

Who here has the oldest Apple computer that is still in use?
How old is it?

Last edited:
I have a MacBook about 2 years old no Problems. I have an iMac that isn't quite three years old that I had to have the hard drive replaced, no charge. I had a Dell before that for about 2 years that just failed one day and gateway before that, that got a virus that nothing would erase, and that is now part of a landfill somewhere. I also own an iPod, iPad, and iPhone, and a Mac Mini that is hooked to my big screen TV for streaming Netflix etc. I have had nothing but success with Mac products.

Thanks Mr Mayor.
My iPod has been just as dependable as my MacBook.
I bought it at the same time.
I have dropped it several times.
I leave it in my car during all kinds of temps and humidity changes.
I use it at work in the dirty shop.
My ipod has also prevailed along with my MacBook!
I can't believe my iPods performance either.

I bought a 13' MacBook Pro 'bout 1-2 months ago for recording, mixing, photo and movie editing, and the only trouble I've had is when the desktop didn't register me moving some folders. I think of it as a creative mans computer, and I had a Dell laptop for 3 years that had so much trouble that it made me mad. Glad those times are over!

Three years ago for me too, Bob. I bought mine in June 2007. I've done a lot of good work using it. I have almost come to think of it as another musical instrument. I learned to use Finale on my MacBook. (I'd been using Encore on my ancient Macintosh IId.) Hell, I learned about the internet on it. I'd never used the internet before, didn't have an email address, nothing.

I've spent some twelve-hour days on it, writing charts. A keyboard, a MacBook, Finale and Cubase, gosh, what more do you need?

So my attachment to my MacBook is profound. I've carried it with me everywhere I've traveled, it's the guts of my little home studio and the damn thing has never once caused any problems, not one.

no macbook for me, hp pavilion custom job. never had any problems with it except the damn power cord keeps breaking (the cord itself not the computer connection) but thats becuase of how i keep it sitting. 5 years old now and still top of the line and quick as hell.

i do own a 3 year old ipod thats been replaced 4 times from hard drive failure and twice for headphone jack failure. from what i hear the ipod classics have major problems with those 2 things going out. used to be a 160gb but last time i had to have it replaced all they could give me was the 120gb since they stopped making the 160's.

i've done lots of work on imacs and macbooks and yeah their very sturdy computers that last forever. when i upgrade my music editing computer i'm thinking i might go mac but it will be a hard choice since i tend to upgrade everything myself and my music computer is a slick beast from hell and probably not going to get upgraded for a decade or so....

I come from a Mac family.

We have two desktops, two laptops, and my mother uses a Mac mini for her work at school. All are excellent computers, and with my dad knowing them inside and out, not only have we had almost no problems with them in their lifespans(my personal computer is about four years old, I think), the few minor problems we have had are a breeze to troubleshoot.

"I'm a mac, and I play drums."

Three years ago for me too, Bob. I bought mine in June 2007. I've done a lot of good work using it. I have almost come to think of it as another musical instrument. I learned to use Finale on my MacBook. (I'd been using Encore on my ancient Macintosh IId.) Hell, I learned about the internet on it. I'd never used the internet before, didn't have an email address, nothing.

I've spent some twelve-hour days on it, writing charts. A keyboard, a MacBook, Finale and Cubase, gosh, what more do you need?

So my attachment to my MacBook is profound. I've carried it with me everywhere I've traveled, it's the guts of my little home studio and the damn thing has never once caused any problems, not one.
Just like you Jay, I never had a computer before that I could work well enough to do all of the things that I wanted to do. I would go on the net and simply view web pages.
I would try things on my PC and fail. I would get discouraged and quit!

When I got my Mac, I didn't fail! I did what I wanted to do. I went on the net and I was able to learn about it and how things worked. I learned how to work Garage Band and record music. I learned how to load, edit, and post video on You Tube.
iTunes has been a Godsend to me! I had tried the Windows media software and I always had problems using it.
IPhoto also allowed me to get it right without trial and error.

Next week, I am on vacation. I am going to buy my first keyboard and I am going to take the lessons offered through GarageBand.
I'm sure that I will learn and progress.
I have always wanted to play the piano and I have the confidence that I can do it.
Mostly because of Apple, and my Mac!

Just like you, If I leave the house, and I realize that my MacBook isn't with me, I turn around and fetch it.

One day, I didn't bring my MacBook to work. I had to use the shop PC to get all of my information to help me repair the high tech cars that I work on.
I was hopeless! I was a Babe-In-The-Woods on the PC.
Without Safari as my browser, I was lost!

I would like to coin a new computer phrase, I am a MacPerson!
I give Apple permission to use it. MacPerson, I like it!

Last edited:
macs are cool and all, but ive delt with some horrible program killing macs before. I also built my own PC and pirated software for it and made a faster pc for less money than the G5's... soo if I had the money, mac would be me, but im a poor college kid with a lot of time...

macs are cool and all, but ive delt with some horrible program killing macs before. I also built my own PC and pirated software for it and made a faster pc for less money than the G5's... soo if I had the money, mac would be me, but im a poor college kid with a lot of time...

+1 lolz. Also ipods seem to have a lot of problems. I never liked the fact that they make it impossible to replace the battery, it's almost as if they're so arrogant that they don't think it'll ever run down or something.

The question still remains, Who has the oldest working Mac that they use as an everyday computer?
5 years old is the current winner.

The question still remains, Who has the oldest working Mac that they use as an everyday computer?
5 years old is the current winner.

It's got to be my Macintosh IIci. I think it's about twenty years old and it still works. It sits next to my Macbook but I don't use it much. It's there because I have a lot of old Encore and other files on it and occasionally I need to access those.

I run a MacBook Pro right now. I also have an iMac G3 (Snow White) they both run great. My boss and my aunt both have the Original Macintosh Classic from 1984. He also has a bunch on vintage Macs.

I have used the same G5 Power Mac since 2003. During that time, I have had 3 Dells (for work) that have bit the dust. My old Mac is still better than my new PC at work. I really don't know why anybody would buy a PC. Mac are initially more expensive, but cheaper in the long run.

Although not quite used daily, I have an iMacDV400 from '99. For the most part, I use it to record simple demos, run PT's Free on OS 9.2. If my gf's computer isn't around, I will use it for internet, but it's painfully slow as most browsers for OS 9 can't handle a good portrion of Web 2.0 content. Starts up perfect every time.

The gf's MacBook, (on which I'm writing now), who is a couple years old now has had a couple hiccups - battery has overheated a couple times which triggers an auto shut-off, started back up fine after it cooled down, though.

I'll happily pay twice as much for a Mac that will last 4 times as long.

Back