DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Default help with bearings

as it says id dont have much experience with bearing kits and i had a bearing crack in my yamaha flying dragon direct drive double pedal, its the 2008 model before they changed to the new style, is there any way to take out the bearing and drive shaft so i change em. and does yamaha offer replacment bearing kits?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: help with bearings

Bearing cracked?

Pic below is what a ball bearing in a pedal looks like.

So one of the balls broke... you broke your balls? Highly unlikely, these things are hardened steel and can take any stress a drum pedal could give it.

It'll be a standard bearing, any bearing shop will have it for about $7.00 YAMAHA doesn't make the bearings, they buy/use standard bearings, it may take a half a year to get it from them.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

hey i didnt belive it either, i was practicing and my main pedal just stopped dead midway down, i checked it out and a chunk of bearing or the collar that keeps them spaced inside had bunched up and dented the casing outwards. im just not sure how to extract said ruined bearing from the pedal, and i dont want to ruin my pedals trying, could you recommend someone who would know how to change them?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

What has happened to the bearing is that the retainer, (or race) that holds the balls within the races has broken allowing one or more of the balls to escape. The bearing simply wore out.
The bearing has to be replaced as a unit.
Remove the beater axle from the center of the bearings.
There will be a snap ring that retains the bearing assembly in the housing that will have to be removed with snap ring pliers. The bearing can then be hammered out of the housing with a punch that is slightly smaller than the bearing housing.
The new bearing is tapped into the housing with a punch, and the snap ring retainer is reinstalled.
The axle can then be reinstalled. The axle will have to be both removed and installed simultaneously with the bearings.
The hard part will be to find replacement bearings.
The races of the bearings will have a number stamped on it. It will take a magnifying glass to read them. These numbers will tell the bearing manufacturer and size of the bearing.
You will then have to find a supplier for these bearings on the web.
Good luck!

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-11-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

thank you very much :) i didnt wanna go mucking about until i had some idea of what i was dealing with.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysnare View Post
hey i didnt belive it either, i was practicing and my main pedal just stopped dead midway down, i checked it out and a chunk of bearing or the collar that keeps them spaced inside had bunched up and dented the casing outwards. im just not sure how to extract said ruined bearing from the pedal, and i dont want to ruin my pedals trying, could you recommend someone who would know how to change them?
YAMAHA- Hardware
Hardware is guaranteed against breaking for a period of two years from the date of purchase. Should any hardware break during the warranty period, Yamaha will replace the defective portion free of charge.

I'm sure YAMAHA'll do it if you're still under warranty.