DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 PM

Default Axis AL-2 or Demon Drive

Hi all,

Im trying to decide which double pedal to go for out of these two. i know drumming mostly comes down to drummers preference but i need some help in deciding please.

So has anyone got one of these pedals or if anyone has tried both of these pedals out then it would be very useful to have some input.

Thanks,
Storm08
Old 08-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Axis AL-2 or Demon Drive

I was at a shop recently and tried both pedals as a single and both were impressive, and didn't feel too different from one another. For some reason I liked the Axis a bit better, the beater seemed to "slam" better into the drum. The Pearl does it too, but it was negligibly different. What I didn't like was that little 'hump' on the Pearl pedal plate, I prefer a flat surface.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. I spose is just down to preference on those two pedals then?

Just out of interest, which pedal do you think is best overall, bearing in mind the features of both of them?

Thanks,
Storm08
Old 08-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Crazy8s

Axis = Tried and trued design built from aircraft aluminum. Has a pronounced advantage with electronics users in that you can add a special trigger to it so that you don't need a drum as you can use it on a practice pad. All the bolts and screws are commonly found at your nearby hardware store. Flat pedal board. Matching hihat stand available. Less expensive.

Pearl = New design using all custom parts. More expensive. Round bump on pedal board. Ability to switch between long and short board. No inherent ability to trigger without using an external trigger. Some of the hardware is too lightly built for the amount of stress they will endure, most notably the little screws to adjust footboard angle. The u-joints are too lightly built too, and I think that might be problematic over time.

They both play very well, but the advantage in my book is to Axis. I am also factoring in that they are US made, which gives US residents employment and keeps money/energy in the US. if I lived in Taiwan, I'd probably opt for the Pearl. This opinion is not based from any kind of politics or Nationalism, it is merely recognizing the value of keeping our music allocated monies as local as possible to encourage local music.

Another factor I don't care for is the term 'Demon'. Demons have always had a negative connotation and I don't feel that bringing negative energy into my positive drum realm is appropriate. I don't like the idea that demons are assisting me while I create music from my heart. Thats just me though. Others may have visited the crossroads and welcomed such demons into their world, and that is perfectly fine for them.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 AM

Thanks for they reply crazy 8's. has given me a bit more to think about. i will do some more research on each pedal and then let you know how im gettin on with the decision :)

Thanks,
Storm08
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

I got a deal on the DD's a month or so ago that was too good to walk away from. I thought if I didn't like them, I'd just turn 'em for a profit. In short......they're staying!!

I'm really beginning to like these pedals. The last direct drive pedal I'd played was an old Speed King, so was very surprised at the feel and adjustability of these things. They're taking some getting used to: very accurate and very light, so any little mistakes I make are transferred straight to the drum head. I actually swapped the beaters for Pearl quad beaters as I like the feel of a little more weight higher up. But like anything new, the more I get used to them, the more I'm enjoying playing on them.

I also actually like the disk in the centre of the pedal....it just gives me a reference point to exactly where my foot is on the footboard.

Can't speak for the Axis as I've not played them....they're available here in Oz, but are hard to find so wasn't able to try any out. I have no loyalty to anyone elses ecconomy (neither pedal is made here) so dealt with what I could get for a good price. As for it's durability? Too early to tell, (I'll get back to you in a few years), but I've never encountered problems with Pearl's hardware in over 25 years.....can't see why the DD's would be any different. FWIW, I don't mind demon's playing my pedals either, so all in all, I think they're a good pedal if you can get them for the right price.