DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

Default Volume of Solid Wood Beater vs DW standard plastic

Would a solid wood beater be louder than the DW 101 plastic side? I've never messed with one but I recently switched to single bass and the plastic is wearing on my dw's so i figured maybe time to try something else? Or do I stick with a new DW, I want the loudest punchiest sound possible. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Volume of Solid Wood Beater vs DW standard plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
Would a solid wood beater be louder than the DW 101 plastic side? I've never messed with one but I recently switched to single bass and the plastic is wearing on my dw's so i figured maybe time to try something else? Or do I stick with a new DW, I want the loudest punchiest sound possible. Thanks.
Small difference--perhaps enough to be usable for you. Use a patch and you won't wear out batter heads.

But if you're playing out unmiked, the main factor in bass drum loudness is muffling--the absence of it.

Unmiked you need boom. Use only lightly-muffled heads (such as PS3s or EQ4s), no port, and nothing in the drum. Tune for sustain, which is usually up above JAW a bit. You'll hear the sustain at the kit but the audience won't--they'll just hear a louder drum.

If you play out miked, never mind. ;-)
Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

The wood beater had a deeper sound than the DW plastic on my kick (I tried s e v e r a l types...there's a drawer full...).

The spot on the DW plastic you have is just friction wear. For me this beater has a real full, punchy sound with a good smack and I get great tone out of my bass drum.

The head on the DW covers more area, so you will get a bit louder/fuller sound than from a lot of beaters.

The Crystal Ball beater (Rick Lathum) that's out will eventually get flatter over time and will get you a loud punchy sound too.

If you want more "ooommph" you might want to try a beater patch like the small (2 or 3") Remo patch along with the DW beater. That patch is very punchy, and when it wears in, it has a good balance of punch & click, but doesn't kill the tone as much as the big one (4"-ish) does.

If you want punch but not much "click", Aquarian's patch is a good one.

If you want a natural, full punch, with the sound being more "no patch at all", use a piece of the same head you have as the batter.

Cut it to about 3x4" and tape it on the edges to the head.

There is no "lag" or weird tone/sound from doing this (and it won't F-up the head when you want to change it).

I use a Coated Ambassador or Coated Ludwig Heavy on my kick batter and I've used a cut piece of coated Ambassador as the patch forever. New head feel every time I change it, and the head lasts forever and never seems to get "worn out" sounding.
6-7 years on a couple.

Just my 2 cents, good luck!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replys guys. I couldn't find that Crystal ball beater in my town. I went ahead and picked up a Danmar Red Wood beater. It seems to be just a little punchier. I'm digging it. I just switched from a dw9000 double to a flying dragon single since my new band doesn't use any double pedal and I hate lugging it around. Perhaps the sound change I'm noticing is also the beaters position on a single pedal vs the double?

The heads I'm running are a 28" SK2 and a unported Remo Ambassador reso with a large remo falam slam patch. I think I might swap out the SKII for a SKI for the extra volume of a single ply that still retains a small amount of muffling since the size of the kick is so big. I'm always playing unmiced so any small increase in volume is awesome and needed.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys. I couldn't find that Crystal ball beater in my town. I went ahead and picked up a Danmar Red Wood beater. It seems to be just a little punchier. I'm digging it. I just switched from a dw9000 double to a flying dragon single since my new band doesn't use any double pedal and I hate lugging it around. Perhaps the sound change I'm noticing is also the beaters position on a single pedal vs the double?

The heads I'm running are a 28" SK2 and a unported Remo Ambassador reso with a large remo falam slam patch. I think I might swap out the SKII for a SKI for the extra volume of a single ply that still retains a small amount of muffling since the size of the kick is so big. I'm always playing unmiced so any small increase in volume is awesome and needed.
Switching to the SKI from the SKII will get you a lot more volume--the SKII is a low-volume head. If you want even more volume try a PS3. Tune it up above JAW, up to where it begins to have some bottom end and sustain. Don't worry about excessive sustain, it's what gets you heard.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Switching to the SKI from the SKII will get you a lot more volume--the SKII is a low-volume head. If you want even more volume try a PS3. Tune it up above JAW, up to where it begins to have some bottom end and sustain. Don't worry about excessive sustain, it's what gets you heard.
Thanks DTD, looks like it's time to order new heads for all 3 of my kicks 24, 26, and 28. I think I'll mix and match for fun with SK1 and PS3. :) Dunno why over time I ended up with SK2's on all 3.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks DTD, looks like it's time to order new heads for all 3 of my kicks 24, 26, and 28. I think I'll mix and match for fun with SK1 and PS3. :) Dunno why over time I ended up with SK2's on all 3.
SKIIs are perfectly good heads, they're just much better suited for miking rather than unmiked playing.