DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM

Default Suggestions for audio recording hardware/software.

Ok so i've started framing the wall for my studio and I have everything I need for the build of it, so it should be completed in about a month. Now on to the actual studio/recording part.

I recently purchased some cheap mics from ebay. CAD PRO 7 and CAD PRO 4 that were packaged together for $170 that was too good to pass up. Especially after watching this guys youtube videos which were very informative. I also have an Audio Technica ATM25 that was attached to the bass drum on a kit that I bought. I decided that these mics are a good start for me if i can get them to sound like he did. http://www.youtube.com/user/SnareSpe.../0/AvqLVo_HeqU
For just starting all I really want to do is record practice covers and youtube videos. For years down the road i would love to have a studio that I could record bands in. Not to get off on a tangent but I love music and am thinking of going back to school so that when I retire in 8 years I can move to a career in music and music engineering.

I have searched many posts on this forum and came away with a little more knowledge of products and what I need. I just want to make sure that I am correct in my assumptions. Here is how I understand it so far:

After the mics I need an interface to record to my pc or laptop. One similar to this (which is around my budget:http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus...8483.gc?mode=1 The only problem with this interface is that it is firewire and my laptop does not have a firewire port. From everything that I have read on these forums it seems that for my needs usb would serve me fine. Any suggestions on an at least 8 track usb interface for my mics?

Then I would need software. I have reaper and am familiar using that, (used it for the Roland Kit that I sold) I would be open to suggestions for other software that may be a little easier to use and also have easy audio/video syncing.

Finally the camera and from what i've read the Kodak ZI-8 and the Zoom seem to be popular suggestions. I also may consider picking up a regular camcorder.

So from reading the other posts you probably need a little more information. The budget can be around $500-$1000 (does not include camera). I guess I'm really looking for bang for the buck for a beginner. The computer and laptop that I have are almost identical specs.
PC HP Windows Vista dual core processor (don't know GHZ) with 4gb ram and 500gb HD
Laptop Asus Windows 7 pentium 2.2ghz dual core with 4gb ram and 500gb HD

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Suggestions for audio recording hardware/software.

I have the tascam us 1641 USB interface and use Cakewalk Sonor

the tascam is a great unit for the price and Cakwalk has a number of recording software
packages...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectron View Post
I have the tascam us 1641 USB interface and use Cakewalk Sonor

the tascam is a great unit for the price and Cakwalk has a number of recording software
packages...
Thanks I like that for only $100 more it comes in a package with monitors a couple of mics and stands.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Question if i just have that tascam interface connected to my computer then I can only change the sound of the drums AFTER i record? Meaning I cant change the way they sound in my headphones while I'm playing?

Does a mixer change that? If I bought a usb mixer would I be able to change what I hear in live or do I need and EQ? This is what I looked at for usb mixers:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringe...42-i1512171.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-M...69-i1322412.gc

Just thought of this could I just connect my headphone out of the pc to the unit while the pc is running the sound editing program and play. would that produce latency? I'm confused.

Last edited by NYDRUMMA; 08-06-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 AM

What sound would I be listening to over the music in my headphones? The raw sound of the drums or the eq'd sound?

What would I need to do in order to hear the mics eq'd over the music that I'd be playing through the Ipod? Are there latency concerns?