DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Default 2 different kick mics

Hey everyone. Had a question that I'm sure has an obvious answer, but I wanted to hear from those who actually know. I'm thinking about using 2 kick drums instead of just one like I usually do. What I'm wondering is, does it make a big difference if you use two different kinds of mics or should both kicks have the same brand/model of mic? I didn't know if using two different mics would make that big of a difference when recording or running it through a PA system, or if it was something that could be adjusted at the board to make them match. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Re: 2 different kick mics

Unless you're going for effect, you'll want to tune them similarly and then look at the response curves of the mics - you may have to scoop a flat mic heavily to get a similar sound, and that is dependent upon the EQ section on the board. For simple adjustments - adding a little tight peak to a Beta 52 (already scooped) to mimic the huge 4K boost on a D6, not a tall order deal. Making an RE20 (relatively flat by comparison) have a similar characteristic as a D6 could be a much taller order.

Honestly for live sound I think you could get them relatively close; for recording I would absolutely go with the same model.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 PM

What Chonson said 2x
Old 07-27-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
Unless you're going for effect, you'll want to tune them similarly and then look at the response curves of the mics - you may have to scoop a flat mic heavily to get a similar sound, and that is dependent upon the EQ section on the board. For simple adjustments - adding a little tight peak to a Beta 52 (already scooped) to mimic the huge 4K boost on a D6, not a tall order deal. Making an RE20 (relatively flat by comparison) have a similar characteristic as a D6 could be a much taller order.

Honestly for live sound I think you could get them relatively close; for recording I would absolutely go with the same model.
Thank you...I was thinking it would be ok for live but the recording is what I was really worried about. I guess it's just best to save the trouble and time and buy two that match so it's never an issue.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

i use 2 totally different mics on my kick. First one is internal, placed on a boom through the port in front of the bass: a small,cardoioid dynamic mic faced directly at the strike point of the beaters, about 6" away. For this application i use a shure sm57 or Audix I5. Second mic i use is a Large diaphragm dynamic mic (I use an audix D4 but other good ones are like an akg d112 or shure beta52 or similar). To place this one, put the back of your hand a couple inches away from the resonant head, near the center of the head and have one of your bandmates start playing the bass drum really loud. You should feel a shockwave from the resulting air being moved by the resonant head, just like the excursion of a bass subwoofer. Move your hand closer and farther and "feel" where the shockwave terminates, usually it's about a couple inches away from the head. This is your sweet spot where you place the tip of the mic. Now you're set to eq, compress and gate your signals, the large mic pics up all the lower bass frequencies and "thud" and the internal one picks up all of the higher frequencies and the "click".
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
audiotech

The only time I use two bass drum mics is when I'm recording or during a very large venue. I feel that there is no reason to match the microphones unless you're using two bass drums so that they sound more similar to one another. Trying to match the frequency response of two identical models is really fruitless. I have four Audio technica 4043's and no two sound exactly alike. Same goes for my four AKG 414 ULS, two sound similar, but the the other two on out there on their own. I have three Electrovoice RE20s that I use as a front bass drum mic, all three have subtle differences in their sound. I could go on and on including my Neumanns, each mic is hand made, including their capsules and I never heard two 87s that sound exactly alike, each one has it's own character. When I mic both heads of the bass drum one is on the outside of the resonant head and the other is on the outside of the batter head pointing in the direction next to the beater. Of course the phase gets reversed on the beater mic.

Most of the time one microphone properly placed on the front head gets the job done very well.

Dennis
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Fella's just to clarify he's talking about using two kicks and having a different mic on each kick. Not using two mic's on one kick.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis22 View Post
Thank you...I was thinking it would be ok for live but the recording is what I was really worried about. I guess it's just best to save the trouble and time and buy two that match so it's never an issue.
Seems like the best idea to me and in the end you'll probably be much happier ;-)
Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Fella's just to clarify he's talking about using two kicks and having a different mic on each kick. Not using two mic's on one kick.
Oh, sorry. I guess I didn't read his post very well. What I typed concerning trying to match the response of two microphones still applies. You'll probably be fine just getting two of the same type and miking both resonant heads exactly the same. Most of the time it's very difficult getting the two bass drums at exactly the same pitch anyway.

Dennis