DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 PM

Default DW 8002

Hi,

This week I got my DW 8002 pedal. Finally I can start to pratice double bass properly,
instead of hi-hat - singe pedal al the time :-)

But...

It seems the slave pedal is slacking. I don't what it is, but it doesn't feel comfortable.
It feels loose compared to the main pedal. Main pedal feels great.

I went for DW because of good reviews. I also own a single Iron Cobra pedal, been playing
that for 2 years now and really got used to it. Use a wooden beater, great attack, nice punch.

Anyway, any other DW double pedal players experience this slack?

Haven't made any real adjustments to the settings yet. It seems the slave pedal can't be really adjusted in height, other then the chain on top, but thats already set to the highest point. It feels like the slave is a tiny bit lower than the main pedal. I dont like that, it has to be equal. Doing singles steady seems to be ok, but when doing triplets with slave pedal,
it seems the response isn't good.

I can still send it back...30 day money back guaranteed. Then I'll go for the Iron Cobra double pedal, I guess. Pearl Demon's bit to expensive.

Can someone confirm if the Iron Cobra double pedal doesn't have slack/latency?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by bazzo; 07-25-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
DTDDrums

Default Re: DW 8002

Honestly all non solid state drive pedals (chain/strap) will always have a little slack. I used to own dw 9002's before i got my demon drives (amazing pedals btw). Just fiddle around with all your adjustments, the 8000's and 9000's have alot to screw with. My guess is that you will find your feel if you just play with the adjustments, i did on my 9000's.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 PM

Thank you for your advice
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDDrums View Post
Honestly all non solid state drive pedals (chain/strap) will always have a little slack. I used to own dw 9002's before i got my demon drives (amazing pedals btw). Just fiddle around with all your adjustments, the 8000's and 9000's have alot to screw with. My guess is that you will find your feel if you just play with the adjustments, i did on my 9000's.
Slave pedal slack has little to do with the drive of the pedal - it's mostly about the universal joints on the drive shaft. Demon Drive, Trick and Axis double pedals have superior u-joint designs which make the slave feel very close to the main pedal. Unfortunately, one can't use a drive shaft of another brand on a DW double pedal, because the end of the axle has a different shape from most other manufacturers.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM

Well, aside from the joint slack, the chain also slacks; you can feel is has no tension just before I hit the pedal.

Anyway, I have sent the pedal back for a refund. I fiddled with the adjustments,
but I wasn't satisfied.

Think I'll go for the demon drive :-) I'm going to my drumshop next week. They
just opened their new store, so plenty of stuff to try ;-)

Thank you for your comments.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 AM

If you buy DW, make sure it's 5000, or 9000s otherwise you're not going to be happy in the long run... I don't really know anyone (personally) that likes their lower end pedals.

I know I sound like a sales rep on this forum for pearl sometimes but get your feet on the pearl eliminators (mine are the p-2002-b) They're wonderful for the price, I bought mine new for $180 on ebay... You literally can't get a better deal on a pedal that plays as well.

I would try making the spring tension higher for the slave pedal, and make sure it's all lubed up well for proper smoothness.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

For the money they're charging DW has the worst drive shafts on the market today, they should be ashamed of themselves, total crap.

TAMA is also far behind with their drive shafts i.e.- feeble.

AXIS upgrade UDS (drive shaft) will fit TAMA, so there's some relief, it may even fit DW... call AXIS to be sure.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614Drums View Post
If you buy DW, make sure it's 5000, or 9000s otherwise you're not going to be happy in the long run... I don't really know anyone (personally) that likes their lower end pedals.
The 8000 series is high-end. It's between 5000 and 9000 actually.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 PM

After the refund, I bought the Iron Cobra twin pedal, with straps :-)
Very satisfied with it! I was used to playing the single IC anyway.

I compared them with the Pearl demon drive, but for me the demon
drive didn't have any added value, twice the price. The demon drive
plays very fast, but it kind of "ran of".

And once again: DW should be ashamed of themselves, horrible pedals.

The DW 8000 is being sold as the "heavy duty" series. Bleh.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:11 PM

I've loved all my DW Pedals. They're very heavy and produce a nice sound. I found the Demon Drives to be to light for me. I could feel it as soon as I put my foot on them. I then though maybe i'll play with them for about a half an hour. Nothing, still to light. The Iron Cobra is a great pedal though man. Played one and liked it very much just not for me.