DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 AM

Default Floor Tom Conversion - Ludwig 12 x 14

I'd ordered an additional Tom from Ludwig when I'd ordered my kit just 5 months ago and instead of coming as a floor tom it came as a rack tom...I'd debated about just leaving it the way it is but now think I'd like to have my 12 x 14 with legs on it...As there is drilling involved, I'd like to have this done the right way...Would it be best to ship the tom to Ludwig for them to do it or find a dependable shop to install the legs ? I can do without this tom for a while as I've other toms for my gigs...What do you all think is best ?...I certainly want it done right and hardware placed in appropiate spots...Thanks...
Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Floor Tom Conversion - Ludwig 12 x 14

I would only let very well qualified people touch my stuff. And I would want to see examples of their work as well. Where are you located. (In South Florida, Resurrection Drums, rezdrums.com, could do it.)

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 AM

I'm in British Columbia (BC), Canada...I did have Floor Tom on the order to Ludwig (Just checked) but didn't think was a big deal...Hmmm...Seattle closest US city from me (6 hours) so might have to take it there next time through but wondering if Ludwig would be best ? Thanks...
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

Any good local carpenter or wood worker can install the leg mounts for you.
It isn't that hard to do if you are experienced with drilling wood.

It is simply a matter if carefully measuring, marking for the holes, and drilling the shells without splintering the wood.

I'm good with tools and I have drilled many a drum in my time.
I've never had a problem.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Rodney---No, no, no! Do not drill leg mounts into that 12x14! Here is a MUCH better way to put legs on that drum without ruining it's original design. Go to any drum parts site such as drummaker.com and order the DSS Floor Tom support system. They come in sizes for the 14",16" and 18". They fit any drum made today and are simple to install. No drilling and can be removed at any time you want to convert it to a hanging tom again. Trust me, your taste will change and you'll regret drilling if you do. At least look into it. It's probably cheaper and will not leave any unwanted holes in your drums. The part shown comes with the legs and the mounts already in the kit so there are no extra parts needed. Simply remove the bottom head, install and you're done. Best of luck.
Attached Images