DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Re: The expensive drum stigma....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I think there is an unhealthy amount of time obsessing over gear and not enough time spent obsessing on how to improve oneself musically...

heard a funny one the other day

"less e-bay, more Mel Bay"
Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-ish View Post
heard a funny one the other day

"less e-bay, more Mel Bay"
Totally agree with this one!!!

This is a really wacky thread... Play what you like... who cares where it was made or how much it costs? I'm more than happy to buy American products when they fit the bill / meet my needs / desires. But if they don't - who cares? And I'm sorry - but the quality argument is totally ridiculous... of course any really cheap stencil kit is going to have quality issues and a lack of "passion" in the build - but why don't you talk to Tama and Pearl about "quality" and "passion"?

Oh - and why is passion limited to expensive products? Why can't a $150 snare drum be made with the same passion as a $1000? How do you quantify the dollar value of "passion" ... really - that's silly. Maybe we should price CD's based on the amount of passion that went into the music? I think Britney Spears records should only cost 5$ and the Led Zeppelin back catalog should go for $100 per disk. Yes - I'm sure a $1000 snare drum can sound great - but I've heard many that I did not like - and many cheaper drums that I did like. Have you ever heard of the law of diminishing returns?

I just bought my son (a budding 11 year old drummer) a new Pearl VSX kit. Made in Taiwan I believe. When I put it all together - I could not believe the level of quality on such an inexpensive kit. Perfect bearing edges, seams, finish work... gleaming hardware - even decent heads! Much nicer than most pro level kits from 25 years ago I'd say.

The Asian factories seem to have really mastered quality when they are managed correctly by a company that cares. I have no problem buying products made over seas - and it will certainly give my young drummer the chance to start on a much better kit than I had at his age.

Last edited by sqadan; 07-26-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Now I was wondering... Am I an elitist because I use American made drum sticks on cymbals from Switzerland?

And that brings up another question: Do new drumsticks played on fresh heads tuned well but on a beginner drumset, bought used but shipped globally sound better?
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
As consumers, it isn't our job to buy products to protect our economy. It is our job to simply buy what is available to us, pay our bills and survive!
We elect people to do this for us! If they are not doing their job by setting tariffs on imported goods and providing a climate that promotes manufacturing and jobs then it is up to us to vote them out of office.
We are just pawns in the big game! I'm tired of being blamed for the poor judgement of our elected leaders! I buy what I can afford that works for me.
Let the government and industry leaders along with the people that are in charge earn their high salaries and fix the world economy.

Just remember this,They will starve shortly after we do! They can't wipe their own ass without us! They won't even have toilet paper to wipe it with! There will be no one left to make it for them!
Hooray for this. I own a Grestch Renown kit and I love it. It was not made in the US but the Corp. offices are here and the money trickles down to the folks that do work here. Plus I bought it second hand so my cash went to someone in the US to help him economically. To me everyone won. And if we don't buy foriegn products we will end up sending them foriegn aid in the end so what difference does it make. I buy what I can afford. I could care less what its origin is.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, this thread has gone wacky. I apologize.

And no, I didn't get the Phil Rudd snare. I am looking at one of those Ahead brass 6x14s with the Dunnett throw off and the S hoops, but I am really happy with my mystery maple Sonor right now.

It's funny, the last time I had a matching snare with the kit was with my DW Collector's in zebra finish - couldn't make that drum sound good at all. I kept thinking it was me!
Old 07-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
... but the Corp. offices are here and the money trickles down to the folks that do work here....
I know this has nothing to do with this part of the quote, but I remembered this picture because of it: http://www.motivatedphotos.com/?id=14811

Anyway, I play a Pearl Export kit. Of course, it's a mid- to low-level kit, but I like it. It fits me. And so far, it hasn't given out on me.

And the finish is cool, too.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

I forgot to mention, most drummers on this side of the pond have never heard of my drum kit, so there's certainly no stigma. Actually, that's why I got it so cheap. Most drummers think it's some no make woody colour thingy, badged somewhere the other side of outer mongolia. They think it's a cheap kit, so when they hear it, I get the kudos for having great tuning skills, haha!

Last year, a drummer offered me his PDP kit of identical sizes, in exchange for mine, plus he wanted 500 from me. Yeah right!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 PM

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I have recently just bought an (obscenely) expensive drum is because there isn't anything in life that I actually want. I don't desire a good car or a fancy kitchen, I just like drums. In comparison to some things that people might spend their money on, my things are really pretty cheap.

A friend of mine, a millionaire, bought a new watch for something like 30,000 but he didn't want to wear it out in case he lost it, so he bought another watch for 17,000. Now I got thinking and realised that his shit watch was worth more than everything that I own put together, excluding the mortgage.

Does owning an expensive drum make me a better drummer, more important than any other drummer or their gear? No, of course not, it just brings me pleasure that I own something that I really want.

As for where it came from, when I bought it I was blind to maker and price, I bought purely on sound.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 PM
wy yung

I too am not rich. I live very simply. In a small flat surrounded by my instruments. All I really care for is music and my sound. To this end I have made many sacrifices. Do high quality instruments sound better than those of less quality? In my experience, yes. Do high quality drums have better hardware? Usually, yes. This is not to confuse price with quality. Some expensive drums are over priced. As for the economy thing, my main worry in Australia is offshore purchasing is killing drum stores. And it is! I see it every day. If people are not careful there will be nobody to tuines their drums, ask advice or take lessons. And those of us who rely on the stores for income will be out of work. This is my reality. Not my socio political agenda. Sorry to post.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I'm a big gear head.

I love discussing wood types, what has how many plies, and all that goes into discussing gear. But I don't do it because I think any one wood or any one factor is better or worse than the other. I just like the discussions, and discussing drums in general.

And as stated in some other thread around here, it's easy to discuss gear online. It's harder to discuss technique in a text based forum.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I too am not rich. I live very simply. In a small flat surrounded by my instruments. All I really care for is music and my sound. To this end I have made many sacrifices. Do high quality instruments sound better than those of less quality? In my experience, yes. Do high quality drums have better hardware? Usually, yes. This is not to confuse price with quality. Some expensive drums are over priced. As for the economy thing, my main worry in Australia is offshore purchasing is killing drum stores. And it is! I see it every day. If people are not careful there will be nobody to tuines their drums, ask advice or take lessons. And those of us who rely on the stores for income will be out of work. This is my reality. Not my socio political agenda. Sorry to post.
This is a good perspective. I fell in love with solid shell ironwood drums and so I wanted a set. A craftsman collected the logs, turned them on a lathe, got the hardware made locally and shipped them to me. He was in Australia, so I know the money I paid went directly to support him and his family and the logs were harvested according to government sustainability regulations. The drums were expensive, comparable to a DW top-of-the-line set, except my drums sound and look like no other drums in the world.

I drive a 10-year-old car and don't live extravagantly. This is what really mattered to me, so I spent a lot on it. I plan to keep these drums the rest of my life. So it was worth it.

Gruntersdad, if I may ask, what do you do for a living (or what did you do)? How about your children - do they have jobs that depend on people spending money locally? When you buy from another First-World nation, you know the extra cost is going to support living wages, benefits and environmental protection. That matters to me. I avoid buying products with mud and blood on them as much as I can.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
When you buy from another First-World nation, you know the extra cost is going to support living wages, benefits and environmental protection. That matters to me. I avoid buying products with mud and blood on them as much as I can.
This issue was batted around on an ethics forum I used to frequent. It's not as clear-cut as it would seem. If people won't buy from developing countries because their work conditions are not up to western standards then they suffer even more poverty. At the same time, if you don't buy locally then that affects the local economy.

You can't wait for politicians to pull all the right levers because it won't happen - they don't have nearly as much control as they make out because major corporations have a huge say in public policy.

Having said that, buying on the basis of ideals is only an option for the middle and upper classes. I confer neither status nor stigma based on gear. It's not my business either way. Exception to this rule is DMC, whose kit is so beautiful it wouldn't be out of place in an art gallery :)

I don't judge people by their playing, either ... a great and successful player who's puffed up with ego is no better in my eyes than any other egotistical gronk.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

We all live on the planet Earth where every nation drums and builds drums. I don't really care if the guy I don't know is 100km or 5000kms away from me or speaks a different language, only 5million people speak my language anyways, if he just makes good sounding drums. I'm sure they all have families to support.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Did someone wise tell me not to buy cheap gear?

Edit: ...and Bo, is that a drumitar in your avatar.

Last edited by BassDriver; 07-27-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Adding to discussion
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
Did someone wise tell me not to buy cheap gear?

Edit: ...and Bo, is that a drumitar in your avatar.
For a few years I played the Zendrum. Loved it until I noticed that that was ALL I was playing. Then I had to get back to my roots. I almost shun electronics completely nowadays having been there and done that.

Thanks for asking though, it is an interesting instrument, or electronic device. And I love what guys like Future Man do with their electronic rigs. I just love to play brushes too much!
Old 07-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

This has been an educational and entertaining topic. I can't believe how many people posted comments.

Maybe we'll get another thread was started? The inexpensive drum stigma...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Having said that, buying on the basis of ideals is only an option for the middle and upper classes. I confer neither status nor stigma based on gear.
This reminds me of a magazine article I read years back looking at exporting US jobs overseas. After Huffy bicycles closed its last American manufacturing plant and moved it to China, this family lost its income. The wife was depressed and walking through Wal-Mart and said, "My husband lost his job, but at least there's Wal-Mart to keep things affordable." As she said this, she was walking past a row of Huffy bicycles made in China!

People and families are expensive and need good jobs to enjoy a good life. It is seductive (and often unavoidable) to buy from countries with mud and blood on their products, but if we don't make a conscious effort to support our own industries, we are just cannibalizing our economy and future.

When you buy expensive drums, some of what you are paying for is worker safety, benefits, health care and a decent wage, as well as basic environmental protections. It's worth it to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Posts deleted, one member banned for vulgar language. Stay on topic, play nice.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Posts deleted, one member banned for vulgar language. Stay on topic, play nice.
I gotta say, Dog, that was a pretty douchebag thing to do. The profanity was not in anger, it was in jest. Had you actually read the post you may have realized that. Also, to outright ban someone rather than pm me, warn me, get clarification? Wow. Just wow. I guess you're too uptight to let the grown-ups be grown-ups.

Don't bother banning this account as I won't be coming back. I have no interest in dealing with self righteous ass holes who treat members like children.

-james
Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Silver Member

To play devil's advocate, here's what an expensive drum kit says: I am serious enough about drumming (or make enough money doing it) that I can afford something high-end. It's not necessarily that they sound so much better, in this age of EQ/compression/triggers not to mention how muddled sound gets live no one's ever going to go "HEY HE USED MAPLE BEFORE NOW IT'S BUBINGA THAT SUCKS", but it IS very nice, looks great, can be custom, and is an INVESTMENT.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMixelpix View Post
To play devil's advocate, here's what an expensive drum kit says: I am serious enough about drumming (or make enough money doing it) that I can afford something high-end. It's not necessarily that they sound so much better, in this age of EQ/compression/triggers not to mention how muddled sound gets live no one's ever going to go "HEY HE USED MAPLE BEFORE NOW IT'S BUBINGA THAT SUCKS", but it IS very nice, looks great, can be custom, and is an INVESTMENT.
Yeah, an investment is what I say it is. But after all these years of playing, I look at the cost of investment and say, "you know, if I went a little cheaper, I can just buy new drums when I need them. Like buying new clothes! A new look every three years!"
Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Yeah, an investment is what I say it is. But after all these years of playing, I look at the cost of investment and say, "you know, if I went a little cheaper, I can just buy new drums when I need them. Like buying new clothes! A new look every three years!"
I guess I don't know why I'd need to change out my drums.

I've had my Premier Signia's since 1994.

I'll be a slight hypocrite, as I admit, I bought my DW's just for the color, in 2001 or 2002.

But overall, I can't imagine trading out my drums for new ones every few years. They're like family to me.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm just curious.

This thread has been focusing on drums, obviously because a good player, who can tune, can make even mediocre drums sound pretty darn good. Hence the debatability of whether top of line drums are necessary.

But if we're talking about cymbals - is there even any debate that 'pro' grade cymbals are the only way to go? I've heard a few (but only a few) mid-grade cymbals that don't sound bad - but I will never buy one. I don't care if it's A or K Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, Meinl, Istanbul Agop or Mehmet, Bosphorus, Saluda. And I don't care if a cymbal is brand new or 50 years old - but it's got to be a 'real' B20 cymbal for me (and of course - Wuhan chinas don't count - they're just that rare exception where something is cheap and sounds exactly how I think a china cymbal should sound :))
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Doctors don't drive Chevys....
My uncle -- a very well-off surgeon in DC -- drives an old beat Van. Inexpensive but "well made." Overall, it may be just a matter of preference.

Also remember...at one time Chevys were inexpensive but they also had some of the best engines around.

Just saying.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I guess I don't know why I'd need to change out my drums.

I've had my Premier Signia's since 1994.

I'll be a slight hypocrite, as I admit, I bought my DW's just for the color, in 2001 or 2002.

But overall, I can't imagine trading out my drums for new ones every few years. They're like family to me.
That's a cool attitude to have about it too. I started to change my mind on it when I played a wedding with a Tony Williams bright YELLOW kit a long time ago. The bride certainly was distracted....;)

Then it was either collect drums, or just move 'em out when I fancied something new. But my cymbals stay....
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 AM

If drumming is paying the mortgage, I would think that you would want to employ every advantage possible. A 3007 kit will likely get by in most cases, but a top end SQ2 configuration will put you in elite company. A small investment, considering the level and presentation you wish to obtain. A wedding photographer is not going to shoot with a $300 lens even though few could tell the difference when shown the proofs.; he's going to opt for the thousand dollar glass, just for that elusive !0% advantage. Obligatory tools of the trade, imo.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon Stripes View Post
My uncle -- a very well-off surgeon in DC -- drives an old beat Van. Inexpensive but "well made." Overall, it may be just a matter of preference.

Also remember...at one time Chevys were inexpensive but they also had some of the best engines around.

Just saying.
As I said previously, we can all find exceptions to all things. My brother-in-law sold Mercedes Benz for 25 years and 75 percent of his clients were doctors, some of whom work at the hospital where I work. I'm sure there are a few driving old everything but I was trying to make a point that some want to nit-pick.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

I have a Sonor force 3007. Why?. Because I cant afford a Sonor Delite kit. Not right now anyway.

Heres another way of thinking about it though....If you are like me and you almost literally cant live with out your drum kit, is $5000.00 or more too much money to pay for what you really want?.

I mean $30,000.00 is the new average price for an automobile. You have to spend at least...What?...$18,000.00 for a cheap car that gets you from A to B?.

To me a drum kit is every bit as important as an automobile and I can get my dream kit for 1/3 the cost of a bottom of the barrel car.

I will one day but I cant afford it right now.

As for now, my 3007 kit is PLENTY good enough for everything short of a large contract with a large record company and a tour at large venues.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchrandy View Post
If drumming is paying the mortgage, I would think that you would want to employ every advantage possible. A 3007 kit will likely get by in most cases, but a top end SQ2 configuration will put you in elite company. A small investment, considering the level and presentation you wish to obtain. A wedding photographer is not going to shoot with a $300 lens even though few could tell the difference when shown the proofs.; he's going to opt for the thousand dollar glass, just for that elusive !0% advantage. Obligatory tools of the trade, imo.
Been there and done that too. And I've discovered "every advantage possible" is what's in my head when I show up. Not in the drums in the cases. I've also shot a few weddings as a photographer too, and my last big wedding was done with a $300 lens. They still paid me $2400 to do it. And of course I had more photo gear than I actually used, but mostly as spares in case something broke.

I get the 'obligatory' part, and I may do it again in the future, but right now there's just no need for it. The important part is that I continue to get better at these 'artsy' things I do.

BTW - I'm playing a 3007 kit too.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

It is hard to make cheapo drums sound pro.

With the right tuning skills, heads and mixing you can make a mid-level kit sound great.

Pro sets often are much more aesthetically cooler and have the advantage of being easy to tune...and the niche kits sound unique aswell...but the end result is still a good sound.

...atleast, this is the feeling I'm getting from this discussion...

...and as a side-note, does anyone have any experience with making a Tama Superstar set (got it new in 2007) sound good? For a mid-level set I have to admit that almost everything about it seems pretty professional, it's just that at the moment the head combination I'm using isn't great.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Silver Member

I have Onyx on both sides of the kick, EC2 SST frost coated atop g1's on the toms. To me it sounds great, but I have yet to get it all properly recorded. I'll be able to get you a recording of my kit within a few days so you can decide for yourself if it sounds "great" to your ears. To mine, it's awesome. Better than a lot of the pricier kits I've played in stores.

Although my snare is, in fact, a Tama Metalworks, so I can't help you there.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw60 View Post
I'm just curious.

This thread has been focusing on drums, obviously because a good player, who can tune, can make even mediocre drums sound pretty darn good. Hence the debatability of whether top of line drums are necessary.

But if we're talking about cymbals - is there even any debate that 'pro' grade cymbals are the only way to go? I've heard a few (but only a few) mid-grade cymbals that don't sound bad - but I will never buy one. I don't care if it's A or K Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, Meinl, Istanbul Agop or Mehmet, Bosphorus, Saluda. And I don't care if a cymbal is brand new or 50 years old - but it's got to be a 'real' B20 cymbal for me (and of course - Wuhan chinas don't count - they're just that rare exception where something is cheap and sounds exactly how I think a china cymbal should sound :))
Hmmm, the world is changing though. I have some really nice HHX's, Vaults, HH's, etc, but sitting right in there with them are my Murat Diril Black Sea cymbals. Ok, the Black Sea range is quite specialised, but other lines such as Renaissance take the big 4 top end B20 stuff head on, & in most cases, win. I'm super fussy about cymbals (well, to be honest, I'm super fussy about most things), & I can say with total honesty, that if I was to start again, I'd go all out for Murat Diril stuff. Not only is it right up there with the very best artisan stuff, it's mostly more characterful, & here's the big one, same price as Sabian B8, ect.

So there you have it, a total bargain, and similar bargains exist in the drum world too. There are little companies out there, doing their stuff, low overheads/no corporation/advertising, etc that make really top end stuff but without the hype price tag. The big companies spend big money on adding kudos to their badge, & we mostly suck it up with glee. Just look at the pricing from this bespoke maker offering truly custom drums. Get the basic package and it's no more expensive than a mid level mass produced kit from oner of the big guys. http://www.highwooddrums.co.uk/

And if you're interested in the cymbals I mentioned http://www.muratdiril.com/cymbals/

Shop smart, not cheap. Purchase with your ears. Prepare to dig that bit deeper & tease out those specialist makers. Identify exactly what you want, have patience & buy used.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
...Shop smart, not cheap. Purchase with your ears. Prepare to dig that bit deeper & tease out those specialist makers. Identify exactly what you want, have patience & buy used.
no doubt - I've been meaning to check out the Dirils. I didn't mention them just cause I've not laid eyes or ears on them yet. But even though they may be inexpensive, they're still hand made B20 Turkish pies, so what could be more legit than that? The new Wuhan line of traditional cymbals might also be worth checking out, although it sounds like there's not much of a range there.

Then again - used is almost always going to be what I'll buy. The only cymbals I've bought new were a pair of Zildjian Rock hats - 35 years ago :o), and more recently - an Agop crash that was priced quite nice for a new cymbal, and a Wuhan china that was just stupid cheap.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM

This thread is funny.

I'm going off now to count all my expensive Craviottos, Dunnetts, Yamahas, RCIs, Ludwigs, DWs and think about what a bad boy I am for owning more drums than some shops and for not buying British.

Some of you guys really need to lighten up and just enjoy playing drums and music.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
This thread is funny.

I'm going off now to count all my expensive Craviottos, Dunnetts, Yamahas, RCIs, Ludwigs, DWs and think about what a bad boy I am for owning more drums than some shops and for not buying British.

Some of you guys really need to lighten up and just enjoy playing drums and music.
Hey Dave, I am "lightened up". I've got some great gear too, & I'm happy about that. I certainly have no shame in owning good gear, but I recognise that everyone isn't as fortunate as me, & there's a lot of value in getting budget stuff to sound great. Even better, there's a great deal of satisfaction in getting a great sound without spending a ton of money. Whether that's by making something yourself, having the skills to get the best out of what you have, or simply snagging a used bargain. Nothing heavy about that.

As for supporting your local manufacturer, that's a cool thing to do, but only if it meets your needs. The subject of the global economy is multi faceted. There is no black & white option. You've obviously got some great stuff, I'm happy for you. Just as much as I'm happy for Leo Battery because of the huge sense of pride he has in his drums. Different paths, similar end result.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

I love this thread!

They deleted me the first time that I said this, But I still love this thread!

Keep on posting!

I'm listening! I'm hearing, I'm just not going to post anymore!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:08 AM
Pioneer Member

There's two kinds of people who won't go high end. Those who don't have the money to spend and those who have it and won't spend it.

The times that I've compromised I usually ended up buying what I wanted in the first place a little further down the road.

These days I just save up and get what I want.

You only live once.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw60 View Post
I'm just curious.

In general, mid-level cymbals are a relatively new concept.

For years there was low end and high end. Very little, if anything, existed in the middle.

But overall, I agree with your main point. I upgraded my cymbals long before my drum set.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 PM

I'm a much more accomplished bassist than drummer (as bass.. classically trained, had a cab sponsorship, toured internationally, done the LA/NYC/rock-session thing, etc) and my favorite and go-to bass is a $49 Fullerton 4 string I got as a closeout on Music123.com a few years ago (kind of a P-bass but has a bit of a Billy Sheehan Attitude P look to it). My preferred strings cost more than the bass itself.

In my experience, as long as it's built properly and the components are musical (tone woods, etc), that's all you really need.

I play a Pulse Pro kit currently because I don't really have the ability yet to appreciate what a higher end set offers. The drums are maple ply and void free, have new good heads and the hardware is stable for tuning. When I do get to that point I'm much more apt to go for a middle price vs higher end. The instrument being played matters much less than than the ability that drives it. Honestly and for me at least, there's no real performance advantage between my $49 Fullerton and my $1700 Conklin.

YMMV

(I'm a drum noob so I transplanted the topic from one instrument to another)

PS: None of the above applies to cymbals. Crappy cymbals aren't made from musical components. :)
Old 07-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
There's two kinds of people who won't go high end. Those who don't have the money to spend and those who have it and won't spend it.

The times that I've compromised I usually ended up buying what I wanted in the first place a little further down the road.

These days I just save up and get what I want.

You only live once.
Got to agree with ya on that one Freddy...Some folks are to afraid to part out with their loot...Times are hard ,but if you CAN afford it,and want them,and you dont,shame on you man..The premiss that cheaper drums with the right tuning i get,But come on everyone would rather play a pro kit in their heart......Just Because...............