DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The expensive drum stigma....

Shouldn't we be practicing??
Old 07-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
Shouldn't we be practicing??
ofcourse....

Bo, you created a monster.....3pg long! haha
Old 07-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Well, I think this stigma is aplicable to more groups of people other than just drummers..

What to think of the "elite"? Those VERY rich people who seem to be in social classes where it is an unwritten rule to pretend to be more than you are, by wearing expansive watches, perfume & clothes, have the most expansive cars (multiple of course), have a large villa with equally large gardens, indoor & outdoor pool area, private home cinema, and participate in expansive hobbies like golf, etc.

I think we drummers want the most expansive kit we can afford, because it guarantee's quality, and besides we can show off with it. The elite on the other hand... I'm sure they live their overpriced lifestyle only to show off.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Well, I think this stigma is aplicable to more groups of people other than just drummers..

What to think of the "elite"? Those VERY rich people who seem to be in social classes where it is an unwritten rule to pretend to be more than you are, by wearing expansive watches, perfume & clothes, have the most expansive cars (multiple of course), have a large villa with equally large gardens, indoor & outdoor pool area, private home cinema, and participate in expansive hobbies like golf, etc.

I think we drummers want the most expansive kit we can afford, because it guarantee's quality, and besides we can show off with it. The elite on the other hand... I'm sure they live their overpriced lifestyle only to show off.
Some of them perhaps, and others to a degree, but...

If I was rich I'd definitely do most of that stuff - to enjoy myself. I'd love a private cinema, gorgeous villa, giant garden and pools!!! I'd enjoy them for their own sake. And I'm *fairly* sure some real rich people do too. It's not so much an unwritten rule as it is most people would like all that stuff.

Probably wouldn't play golf often though.

This has nothing to do with the severely distorted mentality of just wanting the most expensive thing I could afford - it's about wanting the best things that my money could buy that I can enjoy the most, and it's the same with my kit. In any group, drummers with DW's, upper class - the stigma is deserved by some, but not all. Not everyone in the same group will have the same mentality.

I don't care how expensive my kit is, I just picked up an absolutely amazing S Class for 700.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about this: in our new world economy, no one is spending money, business owners are afraid to hire new workers because they don't know what they'll have to pay for in taxes, or in health care. You look at ads on tv and lower prices for cars and such is what attracts people to buy them (if they can). In fact, everything people want and need, they're happy to get it for less. They'll even get another brand if it's cheaper and does the same job, so they can save a few bucks!

Then I come over here to read the threads about drums and drumsets, and I get the feeling that any particular drumset can't be worth anything if you didn't spend more than $3500 for it! I mean, really, there are those here who espouse getting things cheaper and that's great, but in order to be the man (or the woman), your drums have to be expensive or custom and come from wood from a 1,000 year-old tree or a log that was sunk for 200 years in the Potomac.

Believe me, I think it's really cool that there are so many choices out there in drum gear to buy. But is it just me or does this image not relate to reality?

I'm guilty of it too, having owned several pro kits throughout my 'career' (if you can call it that). But what I've noticed over my 35 years of playing is that every new drum kit I get, sounds an awful lot like the last one. Or I'm asked to tune it a certain by the client so that it sounds completely different from how I would want it to sound. They certainly don't care who made my drums or what it's made out of - they want what they want and that's all there is to it. To add further insult to injury, I probably got this particular gig because I came in with a lower price to begin with! Meaning that even with my pro level drums that were financed by mortgaging the house is now earning less money for me in order to get it paid off!

So, I've taken a new direction in my music 'career': get cheaper mid-level drums and make them sound great, and make a profit for once. And although I'm new at this new attitude, it's working. I posted some of my playing on YouTube for some of you to see and no one said my cheaper mid-level kit sounds bad, in fact, quite the contrary. Clients who call and ask me to play drums seem to like them, I like to think they like my playing first anyway. And because I didn't have to mortgage the house for them, every dollar earned goes into my bank accounts, where I can actually afford to put new heads on if I have to, or buy new sticks, or own that second 10" pop snare for a different backbeat.

But everyone has their favorites and will explain in great detail why their favorite top-of-the-line drumset absolutely kills all others. And I get this vibe that if I don't get a top-flight kit, then I can't possibly doing professional work - the construction won't hold up...the plies are all wrong....the wood is of unknown maple variety...that snare is made out of steel? Not brass? What are you? Crazy? China? That's just crazy talk!

If it wasn't made in Oxnard CA by hand, or in Indiana, or in Germany, there must be something wrong with it! If there wasn't anything wrong with it, then why was it only $600? That can't be right....

I don't mean to rant, but am I wrong here? I hope so. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue. (Maybe I should've put this in 'Off-topic'? But I figure I'm talking about drumming and economy in general.....)
Fantastic! Now, the inevitable question for you: Can you throw me a bone on making these kits sound so good?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

Does my music sound better or do I play better if the cymbal I use is made by my neighbour?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Fantastic! Now, the inevitable question for you: Can you throw me a bone on making these kits sound so good?
Let's start by taking a look at the drums of the past.
They sounded fantastic!
There is nothing special about these drums.
They were made from Mahogany and Basswood, etc.
They had round bearing edges.

The inexpensive kits of today are made of hardwood plies that have been pressed and glued together by sophisticated computerized machinery.
The drum manufacturers developed these plywoods to resinate at the correct frequencies for a drum shell.
They have accurately cut angled bearing edges.
My modern entry level Tama kit is technologically more advanced and more precision made than my 74 Gretsch kit.
The rack tom from my Tama kit has a better tuning range and more sustain than the same size tom from my Gretsch kit.

How do I make my drums sound good?
I tune them properly! It is as simple as that.
Every drum has a tension range that it will sound good in.
I have tuned and played kits that cost thousands and this fact is true.
Every drum has a range of operation.

An expensive drum may sound slightly different than a cheap drum.
It may like to tune at a slightly different tension.
Neither the expensive drum or the cheap drum sound bad.

Have you ever seen a novice drummer playing a kit and didn't think that the drums sounded that good, Then a few moments later the same kit is played by a drummer with more experience and the drums sound much better?
The drummer also plays a roll in the sound of a drum.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-25-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Does my music sound better or do I play better if the cymbal I use is made by my neighbour?

No but it sure makes the Politically Correct think you are a better person.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Can you make cymbals out of hemp?

Christian Drummers Army
Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Only for silent practice
Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, I think this stigma is aplicable to more groups of people other than just drummers.
Indeed, correct. And you have may strata/class of that going on. You have people who are well off. People who are rich. People who are super rich. People who are filthy rich.
Quote:
What to think of the "elite"?
That term, I use to describe the very "top players" in the game. The 5% who controls 95% of the worlds wealth. I'm pretty sure none of them are drummers.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

How's this for an idea: I will buy non-pro level drums but still be an elitist because it's from an exclusive American drum company? Now I'm totally confused...

"Now a Noble and Cooley drum set for the beginner!
The drum heads are pro-styled for sound and durability. All shells are of laminated material in a rich red pearl color"
A fantastic complete beginners set!"
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
How's this for an idea: I will buy non-pro level drums but still be an elitist because it's from an exclusive American drum company? Now I'm totally confused...

"Now a Noble and Cooley drum set for the beginner!
The drum heads are pro-styled for sound and durability. All shells are of laminated material in a rich red pearl color"
A fantastic complete beginners set!"
Send me that kit and I will put good heads on it, Tune it, and it will sound good!
If you guys put some cash up, I will play it at a gig and video it here on this site.
The cash will go to a DW friend who has a family.
He is in financial trouble and he has to sell his kit to make ends meet.
Im sure that most of you know Ian and you have probably read his thread.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-25-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, been out of it for a few days. Can we first get rid of this country of origin bull. You buy a US manafactured kit, but the hardware's from where? The machine that cast the lugs is from where? The steel is mined where? The equipment that mined the steel is from where? I think you get my point on this. The bulk of the profit almost always sits within retail anyhow.

If I was to quantify the difference between a mid range kit & the "best" kit ever, in terms of sound quality as a percentage, then the mid range probably sits in the 90-95% range if the "best" is 100%. Does that last 5-10% make a difference? In a live amplified setting, almost certainly not. In a live acoustic setting, maybe a tiny bit. In a high end studio setting, now you're just starting to hear it. In the end, only another muso is going to notice the difference, & even then, probably not.

Does that last 5-10% matter? Well, to the kit owner, probably yes, but only if they know how to tune a kit properly and pay attention to sympathetic head selection. I've lost count of the number of players I've seen playing nice kits that sounded like crap. Equally, I've heard mid level, & even some budget kits sound great with sensitive treatment.

To most of us, that 5-10% is a pride/obsession thing. Not a bad thing, but shouldn't be over blown. I run a quality kit. I always have run a quality kit. Even my first kit was a quality battered kit that required major refurbishment. I do value that small but quantifiable difference in sound quality, but only because I've learnt how to tune a kit to a reasonable standard. Those who buy top end kits yet pay no effort to tune properly really have no excuse. Their motivation must therefore surely be the badge, & the badge alone.

You can do a lot about the sound of a kit, but very little about the sound of a cymbal. For a player with a set budget, I can certainly see the sense of getting a good (pref used) mid range kit and some top range (again, pref used) pies. Then again, not all so called top range cymbals sound great IMO. There's certainly bargains to be had used, but equally so amongst lesser known cymbal brands. I play a few wierd Turkish cymbals that nobody's really heard of. They were very inexpensive, yet sit proudly along side my HHX's, Vaults, etc. Getting a good sound, or more importantly, your sound, depends more on effort, tenacity and a willingness to really concentrate on what matters more than anything else.

Listen to Leo Battery's recorded stuff. Read the story, then tell me you need those top end tubs to sound great! Why do I use good stuff? Because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, and I do appreciate the difference quality makes. Am I stroking my own ego, or making myself out to be some stellar player, hell no. Is my motivation self gratification and getting the best sound I can, yes. For the record, I bought my tubs used for less than half retail. I may like quality, but I like a bargain even more!!

Last edited by keep it simple; 07-25-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Badges? We have no badges! We don't need no dirty lousy stinking badges!

Great post Andy, well said.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM

When I purchased My last " New " kit years ago I essentially could get whatever I wanted. After months of trying out kit's, pricing them the whole nine yards I decided on a Mapex Mars Pro kit. Someone has mentioned the difference between Pro and Semi-Pro or mid level kit's are the hardware and finishes. Since I am not a professional drummer laying out the extra cash for the upgrades didn't seem worth it. I have never regretted my purchase. I use quality heads and tune my kit properly and it sounds fantastic. However has I found a "Pro " level kit that I thought was worth the extra cash I would have purchased it. Indeed the mid level kits of today would far exceed the quality of a pro kit from years ago. Advances in construction technology allow virtually anyone in any country to build good quality kits. Just look at China 10-15 years ago chinese drums and cymbals were considered low end. The quality of Drums and cymbals comming out of China today has jumped by leaps and bounds, especially in the last 5 years. As a Percussion retailer I will tell you other than real inexpensive entry level kit's , most mid level drums and up are good solid well built kit's that should be able to serve the needs of most drummers easily.--- T
Old 07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Badges? We have no badges! We don't need no dirty lousy stinking badges!

Great post Andy, well said.
Cheers Larry. I've added a footnote about cymbals & Leo Battery, related to the OP. & whilst I'm thinking about it, has anyone listened to Tom Grosset's utterly superb Jurassic Park my playing post? I mean, WOW! Not only is the playing amongst the best examples of interpretation I've heard in a long time, but the sound is spot on for the piece. With the greatest respect to Tom, he's not using some gold plated hyper kit. (There's a blatent post bump appeal here too BTW).
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
Some of my drums are partially made by your neighbors, and yes they DO sound better using Finnish Birch. I think scandinavian birch is the highest quality birch that is available.

Guess what? You do have neighbors that do make better sounding drums than in other places in the world! They don't even cost as much as their competitors too!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8s View Post
So, it seems that some people can't rationalize a price tag on some drum products. It is totally understandable to cringe at $1000 snare drum. It just means that the snare drum is not for you. Can't justify paying $1000 for a snare drum? Don't. Real simple. Get yourself a $200 snare drum made by someone 10,000 miles away from you instead. This way you even further ensure that you won't be able to afford a $1000 snare drum later down the road.

After all, you decided to give your money to a drummer very far away from you, and so did 1000's of other people. That is fine and dandy, helping out a brother far, far away, but it did NOTHING to help you or your neighbors.

By buying garbage foreign made crap because it is cheaper and you just HAVE TO HAVE something new and shiny, you are destroying your own future. The more money you send out of the country means less money for you and your neighbors, meaning less drums here in the U.S. and Europe.

Sending your money to some foreign country to buy cheap stuff ruins the music culture of your own country. Soon you will have to go to Walmart to buy your new pro drumkit because the music shops called it quits because there is no money in it.

...and then you wonder why the music sucks and why there are no US based drum companies. People need to wake up.

People of the world! Some guy on the internet thinks we need to wake up to the realization that globalization is killing local industries! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

Has anyone ever thought about where the people in China buy their drums from?
I think that they all buy US and German made kits and they laugh at us for buying their cheap knock off kits!

What do people from China call their good dishes?
Think about it!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I have to ask if you're being sarcastic first.

I made my kit sound really good, but I'm not employing anything different than the usual tuning techniques everybody here probably already knows. Could be the heads? I used Remo Vintage Emperors top and bottom with a PowerStroke 3 on the bass. But I've had other kits and tried all kinds of different heads (black dots, pinstripes, ambassadors, evans g1's & 2's, etc.,....) and those all sounded ok too. In fact, there was no apparent difference to me when I listen back to various recordings I've made of myself over the years. Which begs another topic: Do different heads make a big difference? Apparently when it comes to me, it doesn't. No wonder Jeff Porcaro just used clear Ambassadors all the time. Damn. But that could be another long topic that I WON'T start.

So, yes, I could throw you a bone on how to do that, but you probably already know how to do that.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
People of the world! Some guy on the internet thinks we need to wake up to the realization that globalization is killing local industries! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!
I'll panic when unemployment gets past 9% . . .

I've been playing out a lot with my Mapex Mbirch kit. Made in China . . . tunes nicely . . mics up nicely . . .plays nicely. Cost me 500 bucks.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
ofcourse....

Bo, you created a monster.....3pg long! haha
Sorry. My bad.

New topic: Do types drumheads even make a difference? They all sound like drums to me! ;) (Just kidding! Do not reply to this one!)
Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
As consumers, it isn't our job to buy products to protect our economy. It is our job to simply buy what is available to us, pay our bills and survive!
We elect people to do this for us! If they are not doing their job by setting tariffs on imported goods and providing a climate that promotes manufacturing and jobs then it is up to us to vote them out of office.
We are just pawns in the big game! I'm tired of being blamed for the poor judgement of our elected leaders! I buy what I can afford that works for me.
Let the government and industry leaders along with the people that are in charge earn their high salaries and fix the world economy.

Just remember this,They will starve shortly after we do! They can't wipe their own ass without us! They won't even have toilet paper to wipe it with! There will be no one left to make it for them!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

Ok Bo Eder, You again have peaked my interest (with the whole drum head thing) and I think this thread is tired already. I think all the good points and bad points have been made and we should move on to a brand new thread on a new topic. Maybe we should start a whole new thread but I definately have some questions on the differences in drum head type, What heads to use with what type of wood,one ply VS two ply, dot or no dot, ring or no ring, muffling or no muffling...etc?.
And lets just pretend that we all know how to tune properly.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Ok Bo Eder, You again have peaked my interest (with the whole drum head thing) and I think this thread is tired already. I think all the good points and bad points have been made and we should move on to a brand new thread on a new topic. Maybe we should start a whole new thread but I definately have some questions on the difference in drum head type.....Anyone else feel me?.
It's been done.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=60781
Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

OK if it's all right with Bo, Its open season on drumheads.

There are double ply
there are 10 mil single ply
There are 7 mil single ply
There are 3 mil single ply snare bottom heads

There are coated and non coated heads.

All other heads are just versions of the above heads with things stuck to them and painted on them to muffle them, or there may be oil in between the two plies to dampen them.

There are really weird sounding stock heads that come with drum kits that usually suck! We throw those out when the kit arrives.

The end!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

Thats good info but id like to talk about sound. VS-VS. There is another post on this matter but it looks kinda old. Should we move over there?. Oh, and how do you post links like that?.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post

I've been playing out a lot with my Mapex Mbirch kit. Made in China . . . tunes nicely . . mics up nicely . . .plays nicely. Cost me 500 bucks.
Isn't unemployment already past 9%? I know in California it is. And everytime the news reports the government says everything's OK - I see more and more people losing their jobs or just not being able to make ends meet....
Old 07-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Isn't unemployment already past 9%? I know in California it is. And everytime the news reports the government says everything's OK - I see more and more people losing their jobs or just not being able to make ends meet....
Dont mean to panic Ken, but 9.50% as of June 2010. Though the lay offs have subsided somewhat, nobody really hiring yet.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Dont mean to panic Ken, but 9.50% as of June 2010. Though the lay offs have subsided somewhat, nobody really hiring yet.

After working with all kinds of people in a service business for the past 35 years, I have come to the conclusion that 5% of the people that I have worked with are not employable.
That means that unemployment is 4,5%
I should work in Washington, I can spin numbers with the best of them!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

And not to lengthen this thread any longer, but I must let you all in and what happened today...

Today was the day I was going to pick up a new, semi-high-end snare drum. I had my sights on that Sonor Phil Rudd snare since it is a chrome over brass shell, with die cast hoops. I brought along my Force 3007 snare drum, a couple of drum keys and sticks, and set them up side-by-side.

The Phil Rudd is a definite replacement for a Rogers brass Dyna Sonic (so is the Tama Stewart Copeland). It's heavy, built really well, definitely worth the street price of $399.
So as I'm playing it, I'm making the Force snare sound the same via tuning - and at one point I got them to sound identical. That was weird. My Force drum has a tendency to ring alot (for a wood shell), and because it was the same size as the Phil, they rang at about the same frequency!

The seller was a little disappointed that I didn't buy the snare, but I think his eyes were opened up a bit when confronted with two drums outfitted with the same type of heads.

I'm still in the market for a brass shelled drum, or at least a steel one. I'm taking a look at one of those Sonor Delite steel snares (5x14, die cast hoops) soon. But those Ahead snare drums seem intriguing as well. And I can always fall back to the Tama Stewart Copeland. I figure there should be a big difference between steel and wood, that's my only criteria in having two different drums, just the material.

But for now, the Phil Rudd is out of the running. Shame.

And before anyone recommends it, I've already owned several Supraphonics and Black Beauties in my life time. So just for the sake of having something else, those are out. But as you can see, I'm trying to do my part and upgrade the snare....wouldn't it be refreshing if I never had to? Or at least started thinking that way?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Gold Member

I have the exact same snare as yours,(Sonor Force 3007). It does the job ok but im looking into getting a new Pork Pie Little Squeeler 13"x 7" and or the same PP in a "12x5". What do you think of your 3007 snare?. Are you gonna keep it in your collection,sell it or trade it?.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But those Ahead snare drums seem intriguing as well.
I have a 14x6 Ahead, and it's a beauty of a drum. Currently, I'm watching a "used" one on eBay. They usually sell for $299 (actually, they appear to "not" sell, for that price), so my watching this "used" drum is for homework on my part. I'm thinking it will go for somewhere around $200.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

I believe Roy Burns did a scientific study and found that 70% of a drum's sound is in the heads. I believe that if you can tune well you can make an entry level kit sound better than at least 95% of people's high end kits.

There's no getting around hardware's function and cymbal's sounds though...
billbachman.net
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I have a 14x6 Ahead, and it's a beauty of a drum. Currently, I'm watching a "used" one on eBay. They usually sell for $299 (actually, they appear to "not" sell, for that price), so my watching this "used" drum is for homework on my part. I'm thinking it will go for somewhere around $200.
I know the one you're talking about. But $299 isn't bad for the drum at all. I'm debating on the older one that's chrome on brass right now!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
I have the exact same snare as yours,(Sonor Force 3007). It does the job ok but im looking into getting a new Pork Pie Little Squeeler 13"x 7" and or the same PP in a "12x5". What do you think of your 3007 snare?. Are you gonna keep it in your collection,sell it or trade it?.
Funny you should ask. I just posted a new thread for further controversial discussion on expensive snare drums here:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64940

It has a link to my playing of my Force snare for people to see if the drum could actually handle a gig or not.

I also posted something in the "Your Playing" area with my drum karaoke of Buddy's "Ya' Gotta Try", done entirely on brushes.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

The 13x7 Little Squealer is a monster of a snare.

I also suggest the 13x6.5 Metalworks. ;)

Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM

Since Ive had a problem getting my 20in birch bass to sound nice.I was thinking of replacing the stock batter head with a EMAD2 and putting the stock batter head as a resonant head. Im trying to save money here cause I ruined the stock resonant head by putting a Kickport in it. That by the way I dont suggest any one else do unless the Bass drum is a 24in.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Anyway, I'm off to go pick up one of those Sonor Phil Rudd snares now. I figure I should have a nice brass shelled snare to provide a contrast to my mystery maple Sonor Force snare drum. The guy I'm buyin' it from is trying to get trying to unload his over-engineered DW stuff too. Go figure....
I wouldn't buy that Rudd snare. It's a Chinese piece of crap.
Craviotto makes a nice brass shell. I think it's like 3,000 dollars more, though.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece