DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Default Alternatives to memory locks.

I'm looking for alternatives to memory locks. Here's what I've thought up so far:
  • Twist ties
  • Thickly Wrapped Electrical Tape
  • Sharpie Lines

The problem with twist ties is that I fear they may slip (this may be solved by stacking the twist ties?). The problem with electrical tape / sharpie would be the residue that is left behind if you wanted to change your setup at all. Also, sharpie lines wouldn't really be a "lock" as you need to manually line everything up.

The reason I am asking is because I have some stands / clamps without memory locks that none I've found can fit / I don't feel like measuring all the pipes.

Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alternatives to memory locks.

Where I don't use memory locks, I put Sharpie marks on my stands. I've never thought about it being an issue having to line them up. I just collapse them, put them in the bag, then extend them back out to the marks. For me, it beats taking everything apart.

Or if you're still looking to 'MacGyver' something, maybe you could use zip-ties.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

As far as application to cymbal stands and floor tom legs .... automotive hose clamps ... work like a charm ...
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM

White gaffa tape. I use it on my cymbal stands and my floor tom legs. I have 2 floor toms so the way I tell the difference between the legs when I unzip my hardware bag is by having a black rband of electrical tape on top of the white gaffa tape on the legs that belong to the 14".

The benefit of using white tape rather than dark tape is you can see it at gigs if it's a low light venue.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
As far as application to cymbal stands and floor tom legs .... automotive hose clamps ... work like a charm ...
that right there is an excellent idea!! Never thought of that.

I used to do the sharpie thing and it worked fine for me
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpthunder View Post
I'm looking for alternatives to memory locks. Here's what I've thought up so far:
  • Twist ties
  • Thickly Wrapped Electrical Tape
  • Sharpie Lines

The problem with twist ties is that I fear they may slip (this may be solved by stacking the twist ties?). The problem with electrical tape / sharpie would be the residue that is left behind if you wanted to change your setup at all. Also, sharpie lines wouldn't really be a "lock" as you need to manually line everything up.

The reason I am asking is because I have some stands / clamps without memory locks that none I've found can fit / I don't feel like measuring all the pipes.

Any ideas?

Get out of the habit of thinking you need to use them (memory locks). Trust yourself in knowing every time you set up 'you can' get it more comfortable than the last time and realize every time you set up your body needs it to be a little different. You'll eventually get to the point of being able to set-up without them.

The only thing they're good at it is the 'lock' part, the 'memory' aspect can work against you sometimes.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

^ Well, I could do that with my kit, I've been playing the same setup for 40 years. With my kid's seven-piece + eleven cymbals, not so much. It seems to me they're good at the "memory" part, too--that's why we use them, so we can get set up quick and easy without tinkering for a half hour. I see no reason to wear a hair shirt.

That kit of his is boiled down to just two cymbal stands (pluse hat, snare, throne, etc.). All memory-locked out the wazoo, rug marked, even the floor tom legs are memory locked. We're set up before the guitar players have figured out where to plug in their amps--which comes in handy on a multi-band gig.

But to the OP:

Twist ties are gauche, and they won't stay put. Even nylon cable ties will move on you.

Using tape for memory locks is pretty ghetto. Ugh.

Sharpie you can remove in seconds with ordinary alcohol. No problem there. We use it to mark tilters. Don't use it to mark your rug, though, it will never come off when you change your setup--and you will. Use thin strips of gaffer's tape, it leaves no residue.

Still, memory locks exist for a reason: they make life easier when you have to setup and break down the kit several times a week. Why not just use them?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
^Still, memory locks exist for a reason: they make life easier when you have to setup and break down the kit several times a week. Why not just use them?
Amen, even if you are only affording one or two clamps at a time....
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I use this method on one of my hh stands that doesn't have a memory lock, but, remember, you need to take a screw driver in order to make any changes.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

The Sharpie thing rules. I no likey Memory locks on my cymbal stands. They just create more work for me. I only collapse my cymbals, I dont take them apart.
The ink from the Sharpie has to be re applied once in a wile but it only takes a minute and it will come right off with alcohol.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 AM
"Uncle Larry"

What they should have are engraved marks on the tubes. So you know without the clamp where you like them, plus you can collapse them. I just may take my engraver do just that.
I don't use memory locks, all stages are different, my mood that night may be different, plus I collapse my stands for transport, a little less weight.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What they should have are engraved marks on the tubes. So you know without the clamp where you like them, plus you can collapse them. I just may take my engraver do just that.
I don't use memory locks, all stages are different, my mood that night may be different, plus I collapse my stands for transport, a little less weight.
If I changed my setup to suit my mood, I'd be hitting air more than drums and cymbals. ;-)