DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM

Default Looking for a shorter hi hat rod

Like many drummers here, the pull rod on my hi hat stand has been driving me crazy, making it harder to have cymbals on its side without colliding with the rod.

So before anyone suggests I cut the rod with a saw and smooth the edge (which I'll do as a last resort), does anyone know of a shorter hi hat rod that will fit a mid-90s Tama hi hat stand? I know DW makes them but they won't fit the Tama hi-hat. Also heard that Yamaha makes shorter rods but don't know if they'd fit my Tama.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Looking for a shorter hi hat rod

Pearl makes a shorter one too... Don't know about Tama tho. I just went to GC and asked them to order a new one for me (mine was bent), I noticed in the parts catalog that there was a shorter version of it so I got that.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Some of the Tama rods were absurdly long. I had the same problem with the rod that came with one of my Lever Glide stands. I took care of it with a hack saw and a grinder. It's a tad bit rough on the end but I can actually mount a larger ride cymbal over it now.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Buy a new regular sized one and shorten your old one, just so you have another one to cut if you don't like the length of your first shorter one.

There is a metal tool for rounding the rod after cutting. I don't know what's called, but the guys at Pro Drum used it on mine after I cut it and it's nice and round now.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 PM

Make shure you don't cut it exactly the size you want it, but a little longer. If you want your hihat a little higher in the future, you don't have to buy a new rod.

Bram
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums&Beer View Post
Some of the Tama rods were absurdly long. I had the same problem with the rod that came with one of my Lever Glide stands. I took care of it with a hack saw and a grinder. It's a tad bit rough on the end but I can actually mount a larger ride cymbal over it now.
Absurdly long is right. I can't imagine how anyone can do anything with hi hats above their head. You'd think with the advent of open handed players and having more choices in cymbals, shorter hi hat rods would've become standard by now.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

You don't need to cut yours down or even buy one. Just make your own with 1/4-inch steel rod from the hardware store. You will need a cheap tap and die kit ($10 from Slave Harbor Tools) or find someone in the neighborhood with one to thread the rod. Even at its most expensive, it will cost less than an OEM rod and you can customize the height exactly where you want it. You may be able to get it done in a day, instead of waiting weeks for something to ship.

Most hihat pull rods are crazy long. I play with my hats about two inches above my snare, which is pretty low to begin with. I had to make my own to get what I wanted.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:42 AM
Silver Member

I just hacked mine with a hack saw and filed the end with a rasp to take away any sharp burrs.

As stated, better make sure you're at the desired length or you'll be buying a new rod or replacement stand.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
I just hacked mine with a hack saw and filed the end with a rasp to take away any sharp burrs.

As stated, better make sure you're at the desired length or you'll be buying a new rod or replacement stand.
Looks like cutting the damn thing and filing it seems to be the general consensus so I did just that. Turned out to be more quicker and painless than I expected and I'm very happy with the results.