DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 AM

Default Question for Trick Pro-V double pedal owners

Hey guys, just wanted to run a few things by you guys. I may be purchasing a Trick Pro-V double pedal in the near future and wanted your input. I'll start by saying that I "played" with the pedal a bit today, I DID NOT put it on a kit and play because of time, but I will in the future; so some of my questions are me surmising things and I may be totally off base, which is why I'm asking in the first place.
- regarding the beaters, they feel way too light, at least compared to what I'm used to. The best pedal I've used is a Pearl Powershifter Eliminator. So that leads me to how much power can you generate with these babies? I can tell by the smooth action that speed will not be an issue, but it just seems to me that when playing slower heavier stuff, ala Sabbath, Zeppelin where I just want to put the beater through the head that these beathers and pedals can't deliver that power?
- how is the action on these pedals? Meaning playing those accents and tasty stuff, how is the "reaction time"? Seems like playing doubles or even triples could be a problem, or woudl once again have no power behind them in lieu of speed.
- it's almost as if this pedal was meant to be used with triggers? Once again it really boils down to my power question. And I'm sorry for being ignorant and I'm in no way knocking Trick pedals, I really want the scoop. Like I said, maybe I'm totally off base here and please enlighten me to the virtues of these pedals. I've been looking for a top end double pedal and I'm looking at Pearl, Axis, Trick and I can get this brand new Trick for slightly LESS than half the usual price. (about $400) Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Question for Trick Pro-V double pedal owners

I owned one for about two months and yes, I replaced the beater with a DW one because I like a little more weight for the hammer. The action is instant and by adjusting where the beater is in relation to the angle of the plate, you can make it feel like what you already play (which I find a little ironic - spending near $400 for a pedal that almost feels like your old one....).

It was definitely an investment and it played great, but I couldn't justify it when I play just as well on an old DW5000, or my current faves, Tama Iron Cobra Jrs. The one thing that did bug me about it was the attachment to the bass drum hoop. It's a clamp device, and it just didn't give me the same confidence your standard attachment does (that heel piece with the screw).

But it's real pretty and plays great once it's set up the way you like it. Now if only every manufacturer would get away from the velcro on the bottom plate and go back to just rubber (my Iron Cobras have rubber on the bottom)!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 AM

Thanks for your input Bob, much appreciated. I don't have an eliminator anymore. I'm currently playing a $200 Pearl p120 double, which is ok. Funny you shoudl mention Iron Cobra Jr. I have a FREE IC Jr on the way from Tama. I just bought a new Starclassic Birch/Bubinga kit and they were running a special, buy at least a 4 piece kit and get a free IC JR double pedal. I'll have to give that baby a whirl, although I'd guess it's similar to the p120. I may sell one of them, keeo one as a spare and get a real nice top of the line pedal. It's not so much the feel I'm looking for, I just worry about the sound. When I play "Children of The Sea" or "Sweat Leaf" I want to hear the bass drum thunder. ;-)

Last edited by Cozy; 07-20-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know if the pedal helps with the thunder part. That sounds like more of a tuning issue. Like wide open with both heads and no muffling. I run my 20" that way and it literally shakes the walls.