DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-18-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Pearl Mahogany BassDrum Tuning ?

Hi Guys,

I just Recently purchased a Pearl Masters Premium African Mahogany L.E. Drum set and I am looking for some advice on tuning.
I've only been playing for roughly 3 years, and I kinda know what im doing in regards to tuning but I really am struggling with the bass drum.

I have a 1ply Emad on the batter and just a stock pearl reso head on the front, One very small pillow up against the reso head to take away the basketball kind of boing sound.

Im after a nice attack, with a nice warm short boom. Im pretty sure this kit should be capable, and I think its just my inexperience in tuning thats letting this beautiful bass drum down.

With my current tuning/heads im getting this kind of rumbling dry thud. What im really after is a real nice Short Warm Boom after the initial attack.

I am really confused as to why im not getting any warmth out of the bassdrum. I've tried both heads loose ( just above wrinkle ), I've tried Reso Fairly tight, loose Batter. My heads are currently both tuned to a medium tightness ( Rumbling Dry Thud ).

I know African Mahogany is supposed to be quite warm so if anybody can please give me any advice at all, It would be seriously appreciated !

P.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qL3...eature=related

This is close to the sound im after, on the exact same type of kit, although my bassdrum is slightly bigger.

Again Thanks for any help.
Cheers.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Pearl Mahogany BassDrum Tuning ?

I think you need to lose the EMAD. I play Evans heads as well, but it sounds to me (if you are looking for warm and short) that you should throw on a Remo coated Emperor. Lose the pillow and try putting a rolled up towel(s) against the insides of each head.
Vic Firth Sticks
Evans Drumheads
Old 07-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Try playing around with the tuning and muffling of the heads you have before spending money on new heads. I can't think of any good reason why an EMAD batter/Powerstroke 3 reso couldn't get you close to the sound you're after, but if there are flaws in the tuning method of the current heads that get carried over to the new head(s) there's no reason to expect a dramatic change.

I'd start by removing the pillow for the time being so you can really hear what each head sounds like and what it's contributing to the overall drum sound. Then once you know where the parts of the sound you don't like are coming from it's easier to get rid of them by returning muffling to where it'll do the most good.

I'd try tuning both heads up a bit in pitch, especially the batter. To get more boom and less thud or thwack it helps to have a tighter batter head. Once you're getting a nice round note out of the batter head you can adjust the reso for pitch if the overall drum sound is too high, but a lot of the perceived pitch of the bass drum comes from the size of the drum, not just the pitch of the heads.

Well muffled batter heads, like the EMAD, project a lot of low overtones even when the tension is fairly tight because the muffling is decreasing the projection of those higher tones. Conversely, when tuned low they tend to give a lifeless splat because there isn't any real resonance to project and the muffling completely kills whatever overtones there might be.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM

thanks madgolfer and winston_wolf for those suggestions! seriously appreciated.

The Coated Emporer Batter suggestion is definitely interesting, although I think im going to try and experiment as much as possible with the current heads before i fork out more $$$ for the emporer.

Winston I dont think I actually have a powerstroke 3 reso its just the stock pearl reso head ( unported and white )

I actually picked the Emad 1 head because I've heard a few bassdrums with that head sound really nice and warm, so I thought I was doing the right thing by trying that head but again I just cant figure out why there's no warmth comming from the drum.

I will be trying some more tunings on the bassdrum later on this week, so any more suggestions would definitely be welcomed :)

Cheers.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:25 AM

If unable to swap heads, I would go with Winston's suggestions. It sounds like you are looking for some tone as opposed to just the stock "slap" sound? I agree that you should try to raise the batter head pitch so it is more sympathetic to the resonant head.
Vic Firth Sticks
Evans Drumheads