DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Default Powerstroke pro over powerstroke 3 tuning help!

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble tuning my bass drum, I bought ebony powerstroke pro for the batter and powerstroke 3 for the rest. I installed a double kickpad to muffle it up a bit.
My issue is that I'm not getting that deep boom sound I'm looking for. It sounds basically the same as the stock heads I removed. I tuned the reso to be tight and to get the boom sound I want I tuned the batter lower. I'm still not getting that deep sound and I think the batter side is too loose because my wooden beater is making a dent in the head.
What I find strange is if I hit the reso head with a drum stick, its the exact sound that I'm looking for. But I can't figure out how to reproduce that sound on the batter side.
It's sounds currently like a quick thud, when I'm looking for a deep boom.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

LG
Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Powerstroke pro over powerstroke 3 tuning help!

What kind of drum is it and what size? Off the cuff I'd say put a Fibrskyn reso on it or put the ps3 on the batter side.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Powerstroke pro over powerstroke 3 tuning help!

I usually go just above wrinkle on both heads, the ps3 I found the sweet spot to be about an 1/8 of a turn past wrinkle.

Have you tried taking the muffling out of the drum, maybe you have it over muffled, I'd think with that head combo you should be able to run the drum wide open. Maybe the wood beater is giving you too much attack, have you tried a felt beater?

Keep in mind what you hear behind the kit and what is heard out front are two totally different sounds, out front is what matters. Also you really should get a flam patch for that batter head. Part that kind of sucks is if you truly dented the head it's already ruined.