DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-14-2010, 08:38 PM

Default DW tom head suggestions for a metal record

Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some input.

I'm going into the studio Monday to track my new band's debut record and could use a few suggestions. I'm taking in a DW collectors maple kit with FAST tom sizes. Currently using clear evans EC2's live with clear G1 bottoms. On previous records I've used coated G2 tops with clear G1 bottoms but have never been happy with the attack and stick definition, especially on larger toms. Using an ST Dry on the snare (6x14 20 ply maple OCDP with 4 vents), and an EMAD2/Emad resonant combo on the kick (which will probably end up being sound replaced by the producer anyway). Musical style is metal (ala: Unearth / Darkest Hour / Trivium / All That Remains). We've been in pre-production for 6 weeks now and the producer doesn't have a drumhead preference. Looking for some tom head recommendations for great stick attack but retaining some resonance and warmth.

(I have lots of previous studio experience btw and hit very consistently, just haven't stepped away from the G2's in YEARS and wanted to get input on whats out there as opposed to going into Guitar Center to buy 1 of each of many types of heads)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: DW tom head suggestions for a metal record

I think you should try the EC2 clears just as you have now. I used them on my last two recordings and they sound great. Not sure if you would like a thinner single ply for recording metal. I would suggest what you have on the kit now, maybe replace with new set if needed.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks! The EC2's I'm using live right now are the older style with the silver ring (as opposed to the new SSTs). They're impossible to find leftover anymore and the limited experience I have with the new EC2s is that they sound like cardboard boxes on resonant drums like DWs. What type of kit are you playing on and whats the tuning range like on the new style EC2s?
Old 07-15-2010, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

PDP CX, tuned as low as possible, just past wrinkles.

8, 10,12, 14.

I noticed the new set of EC2 clears with black rings (sst?) sound more controlled than the silver ringed version. If these are too dead sounding I would try the clear G2 for a little more open sound.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

So frosty white Remo Ambassadors would be out of the question? I love those.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason ATF View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some input.

I'm going into the studio Monday to track my new band's debut record and could use a few suggestions. I'm taking in a DW collectors maple kit with FAST tom sizes. Currently using clear evans EC2's live with clear G1 bottoms. On previous records I've used coated G2 tops with clear G1 bottoms but have never been happy with the attack and stick definition, especially on larger toms. Using an ST Dry on the snare (6x14 20 ply maple OCDP with 4 vents), and an EMAD2/Emad resonant combo on the kick (which will probably end up being sound replaced by the producer anyway). Musical style is metal (ala: Unearth / Darkest Hour / Trivium / All That Remains). We've been in pre-production for 6 weeks now and the producer doesn't have a drumhead preference. Looking for some tom head recommendations for great stick attack but retaining some resonance and warmth.

(I have lots of previous studio experience btw and hit very consistently, just haven't stepped away from the G2's in YEARS and wanted to get input on whats out there as opposed to going into Guitar Center to buy 1 of each of many types of heads)
I think they pretty much sample replace everything on metal records these days. I don't like it. I think its cheating but unfortunately its becoming more common. Personally I would use clear G2/Emps over clear G1/Ambs if what the mics hear matters. If they really are just triggering I would use PS3 or some other very dry head to help make the triggers more accurate
Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM

You also ought to discuss this sound preference with the producer and engineer - you can get more impact by tweaking the mic placement somewhat. Also be willing to adjust tuning - sometimes dropping the top head just a hair and bringing up the bottom one a tiny bit too can give you a much more pronounced attack.