DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Default Concert toms.

I've been looking at getting a custom kit soon from SJC, one like the hand-inlaid veneer finish the 'Butcher' from the Academy is..., and noticed as everyone first does when looking at this kit, it has no bottom heads.
I've never seen this before and looked it up what it would sound like, and from what I have read, it gives it almost all attack with no resonance. I was wondering is this true? And how would that sound mic'd up? Also, in you guys' opinion is it worth doing?

Thanks!
Mark

P.S. Here's the kit-
Old 07-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Concert toms.

I wouldn't do it. You can always take the bottom heads off to get that sound, but you can't put bottom heads on those without adding lugs and cutting a bearing edge - basically modifying the drums.

Some people like that sound, most notably, Phil Collins. He played concert toms for years and they hugely contributed to his unique sound. But that's the only sound you'll ever get from them. If you're okay with that, then you're good to go. If not, keep looking.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I wouldn't do it. You can always take the bottom heads off to get that sound, but you can't put bottom heads on those without adding lugs and cutting a bearing edge - basically modifying the drums.

What Mike said.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

It's an undeserved myth about concert toms, that they're dry or dead or whatever and are forever linked to '70s studios and disco.

The fact is, with correct miking - just at the edge of the bottom of the drum, not on top of the batter - concert toms are rich and resonant. Pair that with the advances in head technology compared to 35 years ago, and concert toms sound like they never could before. Maybe the biggest advantage to a single-headed drum is that it's easier to tune.

Looking at the SLC drum, I would say that a shallow, wood-hooped drum like that is likely to sound dry and a little dark. I wouldn't get that size or use those hoops unless you want a short, mellow rack tom.

Don't make me trot out the pics of one of my favorite kits.... ooops, too late:

And Vistalites to boot!

Bermuda
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM

I should add that non-mic'd concert toms can sound dry from where the drummer sits, but out front they have a lot of body and tone. Note that having a reso head doesn't guarantee a resonant drum... tuning and the ability to hear what the drum sounds like in front of the kit is important for the desired sound.

Bermuda
Old 07-13-2010, 11:09 PM

They are BEAUTIFUL Jon!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Sorry, concert toms, ewww yuck.
None for me thanks. Especially unmiked. (shudders)
To each his own. Pull your bottom heads off your existing drums, play them and then decide if you prefer the sound. It's definitely different.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What about THESE??!!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

Like Bermuda said, Don't be afraid of concert toms.
I played them for many years.
I am working on using the three shallow toms from my Pearl Rhythm Traveler kit to add some concert toms to my kit again. I am just waiting for the stand that I ordered to arrive.
I can't wait to have fun with them when I set them up with my kit.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I need two heads. Too boingy. Gotta muffle em.
I'm sorry if I have nothing nice to say I should keep quiet. Next time.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Larry, Back in the day we used Evans Hydraulic heads on our concert toms.
Today, I use the Aquarian Studio-X coated heads on mine. They sound great!
I love to tune them tight and let them sing!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Hydraulics and concert toms, you're pushing it Bob.
I used to play them many moons ago.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Anyone remember Dead Ringers? Them suckers could fix up a set o concert toms real nice!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Anyone remember Dead Ringers? Them suckers could fix up a set o concert toms real nice!
Yes, I do Mike, I used them also for many years.
Larry, The oil heads were great on concert toms.
Mine were almost always red. I also used the blue ones.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 AM

See? Memories of concert toms seem to revolve around the stereotypical muffled, dead sounds on many '70s recordings. But stereotypes are dangerous, or at least can be very limiting. Anyone who thinks concert toms are a one-trick-pony is really missing out on great-sounding toms.

Oh well, when the '70s make a comeback, I'll get a bunch of work. :)

Bermuda
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Bermuda can you get a good sound from a concert tom with a single ply head without any muffling? Or do you have to have muffling? I haven't tried them in sooo long
Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

Guys, just try it out! Its easy. Take a nice big floor tom and whip the bottom head off, it might impress you. If you think that they will inevitably sound dead, dry, and fast, you're wrong. You can get some big, sustained, warm sounds.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Back in the 80's when I was still new to drumming, I had a trick to make my double headed toms into single headed toms without having to worry about damaging the bottom bearing edges. I took the old beat-up pinstripes off the tops, cut around the black stripe with an excacto knife leaving only that outer inch of drum head, then I placed those on the bottoms and new heads on the tops. What I ended up with was a single headed drum that had the looks and protection of a double headed drum. That was back when I knew nothing about tuning drums, though. I don't think I could ever go back to those days.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Hey Bermuda,

How deep do those concert toms run? An inch or two deeper? I'm so used to judging tom depth by the perceived distance between mounting hardware.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM

Traditional concert toms are in 'classic' sizes (8x12, 9x13 etc) with the 16" being 14" deep. On the smaller toms, they kind of made up depths since 10" and smaller drums weren't stock items back in the day and there was no comparable double-headed tom size. Ludwig later offered 'power' concert toms with an extra inch or two on most drums.

But the hardware placement can be deceiving. On both Ludwig and Slingerland, the mounts were deliberately closer to the batter than on comparable double-headed drums. It's hard to imagine that much thought was given to mounting positions back then - it may have been more of a shell balance consideration than targeting a nodal point for maximum resonance - but the placement seems to make sense.

Bermuda
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Bermuda can you get a good sound from a concert tom with a single ply head without any muffling? Or do you have to have muffling? I haven't tried them in sooo long
I haven't tried 1-ply heads on them, I think they'd be best-suited for the concert toms' original purpose: as melodic percussion toms played with mallets (remember, the term 'concert' was a reference to orchestral work, not a rock concert.) But I guess it depends on the style at hand, and the particular head. Not everyone is required to use hydraulics or black/silver dot heads, which were the fave heads for those drums... 35 years ago.

For me, muffling is more about taming the occasional banginess in a head, rather than trying to extract thump or control decay. Note the minimal tape (and mic placement) on the toms:

These toms were full, resonant, and only one of them required any eq (I think the 15".) Again, with a single head, there aren't any inherent weird overtones that a double-headed is subject to as a result of conflicting head tunings, the drum's size, and the note that size tends to dictate. So a good sound is easier to achieve, with the only sacrifice being some decay, which is lost in the context of the music anyway.

Unless you deliberately tune & muffle for deadness, there's no reason that concert toms can't sound great.

Bermuda
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Bermuda in this one. I like concert toms (as per Mike's Phil Collins link) ... and I also agree they are more forgiving when it comes to tuning. In the 70s/80s I took off my bottom heads, used pinstripes and dampened my toms to death. What can I say? Lots of people were doing it at the time and I didn't know any better ... but it did cut me slack in the tuning department and our sound guys were happy to take control.

Drums don't need two heads to sound great ... congas, bongos, timbales. Single-headed drums aren't worse IMO, just different.

PS. Those Luddies must look even more amazing under lights!

Last edited by Pollyanna; 07-14-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

There's nothing wrong with concert toms, it's just that I don't like them. If you want that single head sound, and you can cope with restricted adjustment compared to two headed toms, great. They can sound cool when mic'd from the underneath, sort of a "tube" quality to my ears.

Given that the majority of drummers really sruggle with double head tuning, perhaps they're set for a comeback!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Anyone have insight as to why you typically see a double headed floor tom supplied with concert tom kits?

This never made much sense to me, maybe some knowledge could fix that?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
Anyone have insight as to why you typically see a double headed floor tom supplied with concert tom kits?
I never thought about it before, I assume that originating as a 'set' of toms rather than part of a kit, those toms go together, and anything else is considered separate.

No?

Bermuda
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure one of us is picking up what the other is throwing down here, Bermuda.

In your lovely examples of kits with concert toms; were they acquired as a complete set including the kick and floor, or did they come separately?

Why is the floor tom not a concert as well?

I've seen this on loads of different kits, including the first kit I ever played, (Westbury, 4 mounted concert toms and a double headed floor and kick), and imagine they were originally sold as a complete kit, just as countless other kits I've seen over the years...

Quick internet research... from the pages of Ludwig, circa 1975:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/imag..._drumsets4.jpg
Old 07-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
What about THESE??!!

Oh man, I totally remember these in the catalog.....which is very strange because I just turned 20 yrs old!!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer View Post
In your lovely examples of kits with concert toms; were they acquired as a complete set including the kick and floor, or did they come separately?
The 4-tom kit is part of the 8-tom kit pictured early in the thread. However, you are correct to ask, since the kit as I have it is neither a Quadra- or Octa-plus, each of which has a tom mount on the kick/s. In fact, my kit didn't really exist at all apart from a special order, or adding the 4 smaller toms to an Overdrive kit (which had a virgin kick.)

The s/n's vary, but the 6, 13, 14, 18 & 24" are grouped together, which is an odd group for the basic kit. Then again, similar badge #s meant little at Ludwig, my #s range from 1710xxx to 1889xxx.

So, I don't know how my particular kit was assembled, but I bought it as a kit (not incl the snare) and every rod, hoop, lug gasket, claw, screw and mount was in place and original, so I'm thankful the owner/s were very meticulous.

Quote:
Why is the floor tom not a concert as well?
Asked and conjectured above.

Bermuda
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Asked and conjectured above.

Bermuda
T'was I who not picketh up that which was thrown.

Read your response again and got it. Your logic is rational.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 AM
Gold Member

Bermuda, If the 70's make a comeback then I'll be celebrating along with you.

I've been curious about concert toms since I learned about them. A seasoned drummer told me about how he used to see them all the time in the 70's. Upon reading this thread and seeing Bermuda's beautiful kits I believe I'll give this a try on my 4 piece with some old batter hears and a razor blade.

I'll let you all know how it sounds...
Old 07-15-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I believe I'll give this a try on my 4 piece with some old batter hears and a razor blade.
Remember that the classic concert tom sound came from 3-ply shells, with the lightweight mount placed high, and without the additional hardware for a reso head. Simply eliminating the bottom head from a standard, modern tom will yield a different sound, which might be better, or worse... I don't know. When I needed the classic sound, I sought the correct-sounding drums from that era, and the Vistalites are surprisingly great. I was never a fan back in the day, but as I mentioned, new head types make a huge difference in the way concert toms (and Vistalites and stainless drums) sound compared to the limited selection of heads in the '70s, when a Pinstripe was considered revolutionary!

BTW, I have been petitioning Ludwig to make Legacy concert toms, and/or Keystone concert toms, which would be really powerful!

Bermuda
Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
None for me thanks. Especially unmiked. (shudders)
To each his own. Pull your bottom heads off your existing drums, play them and then decide if you prefer the sound. It's definitely different.
Ditto for me..There are some drum shells that for one reason or another you just cant get that one drum to sing like the rest,i love having the bottom head to play with to GET IT RIGHT...Just have more to play with,if ya know what i mean.........Everyonce and a while i play with some guys and theres a old set of ludwigs with concert toms At the place,...I have no luck with them.....Im sure if i replaced heads maybe but they are not my cup of tea......
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The fact is, with correct miking - just at the edge of the bottom of the drum, not on top of the batter - concert toms are rich and resonant. Pair that with the advances in head technology compared to 35 years ago, and concert toms sound like they never could before. Maybe the biggest advantage to a single-headed drum is that it's easier to tune.
Quote:
Some people like that sound, most notably, Phil Collins. He played concert toms for years and they hugely contributed to his unique sound. But that's the only sound you'll ever get from them. If you're okay with that, then you're good to go. If not, keep looking.
...hmm, maybe you could use some gated reverb! :D
Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Gold Member

Just an update, gave this a try on my 12" rack. Marked a ring around the rim with a sharpie and a spacer then cut it out with a razor knife. I proved a lot easier to tune but I noticed that the overtones were much more prominent, I'm using G2 batters on my toms though.

I've thought of trying it on the floor tom too and using felt strips to roll off some of the overtones.

Strangely and slightly off topic, my favorite sound from the toms was with the stock single ply heads on there. A nice full, resonant sound.

Is is a nisch-nisch (no-no) to use coated heads for heavier rock?
Old 07-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I haven't tried 1-ply heads on them, I think they'd be best-suited for the concert toms' original purpose: as melodic percussion toms played with mallets (remember, the term 'concert' was a reference to orchestral work, not a rock concert.) But I guess it depends on the style at hand, and the particular head. Not everyone is required to use hydraulics or black/silver dot heads, which were the fave heads for those drums... 35 years ago.

For me, muffling is more about taming the occasional banginess in a head, rather than trying to extract thump or control decay. Note the minimal tape (and mic placement) on the toms:

These toms were full, resonant, and only one of them required any eq (I think the 15".) Again, with a single head, there aren't any inherent weird overtones that a double-headed is subject to as a result of conflicting head tunings, the drum's size, and the note that size tends to dictate. So a good sound is easier to achieve, with the only sacrifice being some decay, which is lost in the context of the music anyway.

Unless you deliberately tune & muffle for deadness, there's no reason that concert toms can't sound great.

Bermuda
hey Bermuda, so are you and Al trying to replicate that old Hal Blaine sound of the 70's? He was using a huge kit of concert toms on a lot of the hits he played on in the 70's, although I don't think they were vistalites. BTW is that white snare the thick 6 ply wood shell, or is it a vistalite too?

And, one of the reasons I like concert toms is I find them easier to play, since they don't have all those vibrations goin on from the reso head. I started out playing concert toms for many years, and the first time I played 2 headed toms I found them more difficult to play an even roll on. Actually, mine were 2 headed Ludwig 3 plies, but I took off the bottom lugs and heads because I didn't want to waste money on bottom heads back in those days, since I used the resos for batters when money was tight. I also didn't really care about sound back in those days, so I was fine with whatever I had.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

Hey Bermuda, I had good luck pointing a 57 (from the same position) across the drum to the opposite corner. That seemed to add depth and some thunder to the concert tom sound..
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
hey Bermuda, so are you and Al trying to replicate that old Hal Blaine sound of the 70's? He was using a huge kit of concert toms on a lot of the hits he played on in the 70's, although I don't think they were vistalites. BTW is that white snare the thick 6 ply wood shell, or is it a vistalite too?
Hal's toms were made by Allen Blaemire, and were fiberglass wrapped around a mandrill (a mold, not a monkey!) much like my old Impacts. Yes we do have a song on the new album that requires the classic sound, but I used them on another track as well. The snare is a Legacy, with a cut-out overlay to wet it and bring the pitch down.

Bermuda
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hal's toms were made by Allen Blaemire, and were fiberglass wrapped around a mandrill (a mold, not a monkey!) much like my old Impacts. Yes we do have a song on the new album that requires the classic sound, but I used them on another track as well. The snare is a Legacy, with a cut-out overlay to wet it and bring the pitch down.

Bermuda
Here's a couple shots of Hal on the "Monster" kit. Even though I built my Blaemire kit double-headed, I think I'm going to see about building a few Blaemire concert toms down the road.
Attached Images

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums