DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Drum heads for rock kit.

2 snares;
14X6.5 Black Beauty and a 14X6.5 LM402 Supra. It's for my studio kit and we do mostly modern hard rock stuff. What would be your suggestions for top and bottom heads and snares for either snare drum?

The kit is a Yamaha Oak Custom 13, 16, 18, 24.
What would be your suggestions for top and bottom heads for the toms? Kick?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Drum heads for rock kit.

Hey man. Ok let's see, you've got some deep snares so a great heavy snare combo would be Remo coated Vintage A on top and Clear Ambassador Snare-Side on the bottom. The Vintage A's are slightly thicker than the standard Coated Ambassador because they are two plies: one 7.5mil and one 3mil. The standard is one 10mil. So i guess that's .5mil thicker. Of course, the Clear Ambassador Snare-Side is pretty standard. On to toms. Great, all purpose tom heads that are often used are Coated(bright) or Clear(more attack) Emperors. These guys are thick and mean and can give you some good durability and definition. If you're looking for something more short in sustain with a bit more punch, go with the Coated or Clear Pinstripes. They are the same damn thing as the Emperors but have a black pinstripe on the edge with a special dampening agent in between the pinstripe and the edge of the head. Oh yes, and Vintage Emperors work well on toms. On the bottoms of the toms, the Clear Ambassadors work very well. Lastly, the bass drum combo for a good rock sound is Clear Powerstroke 3 on the batter side and an Ebony Powerstroke 3 on the resonant side with a 5 inch hole cut into it. There you go man, good luck.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Drum heads for rock kit.

Ok here's my input. You've got some nice deep snares, so a good low fat tone will sound great on those. You also mentioned it was for studio? Well, if you want no dampening, you're gonna want to get a head with short sustain as well.

Batter heads:
Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4. Great short sustain, perfect for studio. Also a nice deep tone. The PS3 is one ply and the PS4 is two ply, so just choose whichever you prefer.

Evans Genera HD. Once again a nice fat tone with minimal sustain.

As for resonant, you can probably just go with the standard ambassador, or whatever the evans resonant head is.

As for the yamaha, i assume it's your live kit?
Oak is a loud wood, so some nice powerful heads will suit it well. You could always go with the standard emperor's or G2's, but if you're looking for something different, remo powerstroke 4's or evans EC2's might be worth a try.

And for the bass, i like PS3's, but evans makes some good one too.

Hope this helped!