DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Default DW Vented Bass Reso Head ??

Hi Guys,

I was in my local music store today, And Heard the most amazing bassdrum sound.
Perfect Attack With really nice short low end boom.
Granted it was on a Dw Collectors Kit, but I ended up trying to find out exactly what the heads/muffling setup was So I can experiment on my nice pearl kit.

It was a combination of..

Batter - EMAD 1ply Clear
Reso - DW Stock Head ( Coated/White with no ports) But it had All these really small Vents the whole way around the head.
and a Stock Dw Muffling Pillow.

Since that day, I've been back to the store, and all they have changed is the bassdrum reso head on that same kit, and now it just sounds plain in comparison.

My question is, Does anybody know if there is a Remo or Evans or Aquarian Equivalent to that DW stock reso head with the vents ?

Any help would be seriously appreciated,
Cheers.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Re: DW Vented Bass Reso Head ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringe View Post
Hi Guys,

I was in my local music store today, And Heard the most amazing bassdrum sound.
Perfect Attack With really nice short low end boom.
Granted it was on a Dw Collectors Kit, but I ended up trying to find out exactly what the heads/muffling setup was So I can experiment on my nice pearl kit.

It was a combination of..

Batter - EMAD 1ply Clear
Reso - DW Stock Head ( Coated/White with no ports) But it had All these really small Vents the whole way around the head.
and a Stock Dw Muffling Pillow.

Since that day, I've been back to the store, and all they have changed is the bassdrum reso head on that same kit, and now it just sounds plain in comparison.

My question is, Does anybody know if there is a Remo or Evans or Aquarian Equivalent to that DW stock reso head with the vents ?

Any help would be seriously appreciated,
Cheers.
Not that I have found but those DW heads were avaialbe on musicians friend at one time so I would look there as they may still have them.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I spose I would feel abit silly chucking a dw vented head on my pearl kit lol
so thats why im looking for a evans/remo/aquarian equivalent
Old 07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Cringe, one thing that might be going on that perhaps you didn't consider...
When you are in a music store with a bunch of other drumkits...the other drumkits sympathetically vibrate in response to someone playing a kit. Now if the kit you're playing is tuned in such a way that it excites some drums around it, the drums around it can artificially add to the sound of the kit you're playing. Just tuning the kit you're playing a little different can take it out of the zone where it excites the surrounding drums.
What I'm saying is that perhaps it wasn't the vented reso head, perhaps it was tuned just right in relation to the surrounding drums. When they changed heads, it was probably tensioned differently and didn't excite the surrounding drums, and things sounded not as great.

I'm not saying this was the case, but it's a phenomonen that definitely happens when there are multiple drumsets around. Something to consider when you're testing drums at a store.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Cringe, one thing that might be going on that perhaps you didn't consider...
When you are in a music store with a bunch of other drumkits...the other drumkits sympathetically vibrate in response to someone playing a kit. Now if the kit you're playing is tuned in such a way that it excites some drums around it, the drums around it can artificially add to the sound of the kit you're playing. Just tuning the kit you're playing a little different can take it out of the zone where it excites the surrounding drums.
What I'm saying is that perhaps it wasn't the vented reso head, perhaps it was tuned just right in relation to the surrounding drums. When they changed heads, it was probably tensioned differently and didn't excite the surrounding drums, and things sounded not as great.

I'm not saying this was the case, but it's a phenomonen that definitely happens when there are multiple drumsets around. Something to consider when you're testing drums at a store.
This is all absolutely true and needs to be considered. That said, my PDP kit came with a bass reso with the vent holes the OP is talking about and frankly they were great. If I were to need a full reso type of sound I would go back to it. It lets the drum breath like a ported head but it keeps the full reso sound. Its a very specific sound and one I don't have much call for in the studio but it is really nice. DW probably patented it but I really wish the big head makers would follow suit
Old 07-10-2010, 08:16 PM

hah thanks for the replies guys!, some very valid points indeed,
I Did however forget to mention that they replaced the DW vented reso head, with a Clear DW reso head, and instead of vents, it had one very large port hole right in the centre of the drum.

The sound went from a nice warm low end attack with a short boom..... into this really dry sounding click or thud, with hardly any warmth or boom at all. It really was a huge change in sound.

So yer, if anyone can seriously point me in the right direction of anything similar to the DW Vented Reso head, please let me know and put me out of my misery haha.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

I remember seeing these heads before. They have the slots right in the center of the head. I thought either Evans or Aquarian made them but I didn't see them on their websites anymore.

They might be discontinued, or maybe DW ended up making their own version.

Maybe do a search for them and see what comes up.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

This same effect can be attained by simply drilling some holes in your unported reso head. I personally haven't done it yet, but know of others that have succesfully done it. I may practice a bit on some old used heads first, and post my own findings.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 07-10-2010, 10:33 PM

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...go-?sku=442111

I realized is not a pearl logo but if the sound is what your concerned about, just go with wat you know works. you could also just make the holes yourself as was suggested
Old 07-11-2010, 01:24 PM

haha nice, thanks for the replies guys cheers :)

Im thinking about picking one of those heads up or maybe try an evans EQ1 reso head, as after searching, found that the eq1 has tiny vents, so it might have a simliar sound...
Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

I did some of those DW style vents as an experiment and I used a drill bit that was for making a 1/2" hole.
I used a cordless drill on reverse. --??-- it seemed to make the cleanest hole that way on every test hole I did.

I also did a circular pattern with small to larger holes in one head. Worked pretty cool, and the mic picked up the sound as if the mic was just "at" the hole (which is where I like the mic anyway), if it was a normal hole.

That was more in the center. I was going to try one in a side spot (3 or 9 o'clock) but I never did. I still have the template.

Maybe I will since I'm changing the front head on a kick anyway, and I can still use a 4" HOLZ if it sucks haha!

Evans has the reso head with the slots. I believe it's only available in Black
I never had one (didn't make it in 26") but in a Larrie Londin video I have, he uses one with a D112 on an 18" deep kick and it sounded amazing.

The circle pattern thing I did was based on that Evans slotted head, and drilling holes was easier than cutting the slots.

The linked DW head logo might be a vinyl sticker that you can peel off.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM

It's very simple to make one of these. The head is just a coated Ambassador but I suppose it will work with any single-ply head. I made mine by heating a 6 inch long, 1 inch in circumference copper pipe on my BBQ grill. Make sure you hold the pipe in a pair of pliers or vise grips and then simply melt the holes where you've marked them on the head. I just put a magic marker dot in front of each lug while the head was still on the drum. If you're really lazy you could probably get away with melting the holes while it's still on the drum but I wouldn't recommended it. I've made several of these and they work great. I prefer just 4 holes, as it gets rid of the pedal flutter and still has the full reso sound. 6 will work fine but 8 seems to be a few too many. The drum below has a May EA AKG D-112 inside and sounds much larger than its 14X20 dimension.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisCirino; 07-13-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

Wow, interesting idea!