DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 AM

Default Drum sub-mixer

In a live situation I want to do a submix with my drums. Then send one or two cables to the sound booth instead of 6. I was thinking or a small mixer with just 6 mic inputs. I was thinking of the Soundcraft EPM6. Is this a good option, is there something better? Would some one who has used this mixer before please post.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:19 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Drum sub-mixer

I use a Mackie 8 channel. Can't comment on the Soundcraft, but the Mackie is a safe bet.
Want to drive your soundman nuts?
Keep adjusting the knobs every song, they love that!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:56 AM
audiotech

This is what I do most of the time when playing live. The thing to remember is if you send the sound man a line level pre-mix, he has no control at all over any individual drums or cymbals. So if something is too loud or too soft, everything going down that line is going to be affect the same. If your snare is too loud, you're also going to loose some of your bass drum. If your comfortable and have experience with your mix, it could be feasible, but no one can be a more accurate with what the audience hears than the person doing the mixing from the audience's perspective.

To sort of answer your question, I've never used the mixer that you're talking about, but Soundcraft has a pretty decent reputation, as well as Mackie, Yamaha, Allen & Heath and a whole slew of other portable mixers. If it was me, I would over buy a mixer with more "microphone" inputs channels than you think you'll need in the near future if you can possibly swing it. If you believe you're going to need 6 mic inputs, buy a mixer with 8 or 10. I also use Mackie and Allen & Heath boards for for a lot of my gigs. I have 10 and a 16 microphone input boards that I sub mix my drum when I'm on the road.

Dennis
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

You cannot go wrong with the Yamaha O1v 96. I love those things, great preamps, great signal routing, extremely clean signal.

But if you're talking about you sending a mix so you don't have to send so many lines to your soundguy, why not invest in a nice 8-channel snake then you can send him one big cable once you plug in all your mics?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

I use a Behringer 1222 XEXNX 8 channel board. and for recording I use a Zoom R16 as an
Interface with my computer, The software is Motu Digital performer 6.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

The sound guy I work with likes to control my kick and snare and then I sub mix the rest at the drums. So I either send him 3 or 4 sends depending how he wants to mix it. It works out pretty well. We always get a decent sound. I just use a cheapie Behringer board and CAD mics. When I work with this particular guy he has Audix mics that always give me a killer sound, but I have used the CAD mics with very good results for live situations.

Mackie, Soundcraft, Yamaha, all make very nice equipment. I don't think you would go wrong with any of these.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I'm using the first Yamaha 01v, very clean and having presets for each song is a plus.

But I also question the wisdom of sending the sound guy a pre-mixed feed. Very often a great drum-only mix doesn't work well once other instruments are blended. The ability for the sound guy to boost/cut a particular drum is completely lost, and he's really the only person who knows what the band sounds like and can make changes as needed.

The result will probably be a worse drum mix than you're trying to achieve, and that obviously defeats the purpose.

Let the sound guy get his mix, and send you back a mix you like, and everyone will be happy.

Bermuda
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 PM

How about one of these? Soundcraft spirit F1 or the Soundcraft FX8.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I'm using the first Yamaha 01v, very clean and having presets for each song is a plus.

But I also question the wisdom of sending the sound guy a pre-mixed feed. Very often a great drum-only mix doesn't work well once other instruments are blended. The ability for the sound guy to boost/cut a particular drum is completely lost, and he's really the only person who knows what the band sounds like and can make changes as needed.

The result will probably be a worse drum mix than you're trying to achieve, and that obviously defeats the purpose.

Let the sound guy get his mix, and send you back a mix you like, and everyone will be happy.

Bermuda
I agree, I only had to bring my mixer one time. It does not work very well, But we were playing at a 4th of July fest and our normal guy that does sound for us at big shows was not available. So we rented big speakers and amps to power them, but the snake and the board did not have enough inputs for my drums (9 piece band ) So I used my mixer an fed a line to the snake. It worked out ok. I thought it was a creative idea to get things to work.
That was the first time I ever played a summer fest and had no pro's doing sound.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc