DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 AM

Default Need help for new heads on a vintage Slingerland

I'm looking to get new heads for my 1977 Slingerland kit.
I play for a Progressive/Experimental (I guess you'd call it that) band.
I'm looking for clear attack and tone and resonance out of my toms, a nice singular crack out of my snare, and a good solid punch from my bass drum. My snares not the best and I'm not sure of the sizes on the toms (I don't want to take off the heads and measure) but I know the bassdrum is 16 inches deep and 24 inches wide, so it's definitely a cannon.
From the research I've been doing I've been thinking of this combo, but any advice would be good.
Rack Tom - Evans G2 coated/Evans G1 Clear
Floor Tom - Evans G2 Coated/Evans G1 Clear
Snare - Evans EC Reversed Dot Coated/ Evans Hazy 300
Bass Drum - Remo PS3/Remo Reso Head
I've been wanting a clear reso head but I'm not sure if just slapping on another PS3 would effect the sound or not so I'm ruling that out until I know more.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need help for new heads on a vintage Slingerland

I've played G2 over G1 and I think that's a great, versatile head choice for your tom toms. G-Plus top and bottom also make a great combo for a clear, focused, yet still open tom tom sound.

I've tried the EC reverse dot snare head and I think it's a great choice for wood drums, but I'd probably go in a slightly different direction for metal snares. There I'd go with a Power Center reverse dot and either a 300 or 500 snare head.

I think Powerstroke 3 front and back would be a good choice, especially if you want to cut down on how much stuff is in your bass drum but I don't have a lot of experience with Remo bass heads. If you wanted to stay with Evans on your bass drum as well but keep close to a similar sound I'd recommend an EQ1 or EQ 4 batter with an EQ1 (no hole) or EQ3 (5" hole) reso. I personally like 2-ply bass drum heads so I would go with an EQ2 batter with an EQ3 reso for a nice clean, low, solid, punch myself.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Need help for new heads on a vintage Slingerland

i have been wanting a clear reso head on my bass as well. i am just going to put a ps3 on the reso if i dont get an eq1 or eq4.

i say go for it.

have you thought of ps3's or ps4's on the tom batters? or even two ply reso heads? you could also try sound control heads.

for the snare.......i say just a regular coated ambassador should do it. tune it to a good mid range or just between mid range and high range.