DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Wow...AC/DC call it quits

From what I understand,AC/ DC co founder ,Malcolm Young,suffered a stroke recently,but was well enough to try to start work on the bands new album.He discovered that he couldn't play as well as he normally could,and so the band decided to just pull the plug.I also understand the media in OZ is having a field day with this. I would think that most would reguard the band as a national treasure...no?

Me thinks Phil Rudd,will be looking for a gig.I have to give them credit,for not replacing Malcolm(even though they have replaced members before),and going out gracefully.

Steve B
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wow...AC/DC call it quits

Didn't know he had a stroke. I think ending AC/DC is the elegant thing to do. I liked how Zep called it quits when Bonzo died, and others who do the same. It says something about what the band is, and WHO really is in the band. I suppose they could have done the same when Bon Scott died, but only then had they finally just started to make it.

Member - Jim Gordon Fan Club
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM

For those who no longer rock..... WE SALUTE YOU! :-)
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

If Angus is the AC, then Malcolm would be the DC, and you can't have the AC without the DC. Bummer man.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Yes and no.....

depending on which article you read
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...irement-rumors

Quote:
Reports surfaced Monday in the group's native Australia that the quintet was on the verge of announcing its retirement due to one band member's (presumably guitarist Malcolm Young's) serious illness. But insiders tell Billboard that there's no truth to the rumor, though the group's management and Columbia Records, its current label, have chosen not to comment on the matter.

Australia's Noise11.com adds that the source of the retirement rumor was an email sent to Perth radio station 6PR from an anonymous tipster using the handle Thunderstruck. The station subsequently spread the word, setting off a flurry of reports first throughout Australia and then worldwide.
Old Today, 01:01 AM
Renegade

Living under a rock as I do, I missed these stories. News is increasingly unreliable (if it ever was reliable) because of the competition in the 24/7 news cycle. There's no consequences for airing wrongful stories; even the most egregious blunders are buried under the distraction of the next week's news stories.

So editors are more likely to take the risk of breaking a story and being wrong than to wait for confirmation and be gazumped by more daring outlets.

I'd wait for a release from the band's management. Better still, from the mouth of Angus.

Personally, I find it amazing that a band can play such same-y music for 40 years. The same timbres, volumes, beats, chords and themes over and over and over ... I'd have gone spare.
Old Today, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I would think that most would reguard the band as a national treasure...no?
They are indeed. Not bad for a bunch of Scots, hey!!

There's even a street named after them here in Melbourne: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACDC_Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
... I'd have gone spare.
You'd think so.

I can only take it there is much solace to be found in counting your millions.
Old Today, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
From what I understand,AC/ DC co founder ,Malcolm Young,suffered a stroke recently,but was well enough to try to start work on the bands new album.He discovered that he couldn't play as well as he normally could,and so the band decided to just pull the plug.I also understand the media in OZ is having a field day with this. I would think that most would reguard the band as a national treasure...no?
Hadn't heard reports of a stroke as yet.
The media here has so far reported that Acca Dacca will apparently retire from touring but may release more albums in the future (won't know for sure until we hear it from the horse's mouth I guess).