DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Silver Member

Default Refinishing my kit: hardware question

So, i found a colour i like and so on. I've decided that i want to make the kit look as much like a Gretsch as i can. Now, with that in mind, i'm wondering if any lugs fit any holes in any shell? Particularly, Gretsch lugs (obviously) on CB Drums maple shells. CB are bad but i've had it for a few years and it does the job.

Also, i'm guessing that things like diecast hoops and tension rods don't really make a lot of difference, considering there isn't a whole lot to tell apart from one diecast hoop from another. I'm also hankering for a Remo Fiberskyn reso head on the bass with a cheeky Gretsch sticker logo or something like that. Use the old heat-up-a-can trick to make a port hole, possibly buy a Kick Port, buy a cheap 18" floor tom and refinish it the same as the rest of the kit, and then maybe use my (as of yet) unused 13" tom as the rack instead. It's an ambitious project which i've started about a month or two ago and want to restart since i've been away a lot. I'll be getting a part time job soon so hopefully i'll have enough money for at least more stain and some diecast hoops.

Chaars
xoxo
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Refinishing my kit: hardware question

i'm wondering if any lugs fit any holes in any shell? Particularly, Gretsch lugs (obviously) on CB Drums maple shells.

What's the lug hole spacing on the CB drums you have?

Also, i'm guessing that things like diecast hoops and tension rods don't really make a lot of difference...

Negative... they do make a difference. If you gig a lot you want the heavier stuff, as in tension rods.

2.3 mm hoops will do ya, up your sound density.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Negative... they do make a difference. If you gig a lot you want the heavier stuff, as in tension rods.

2.3 mm hoops will do ya, up your sound density.
I didn't explain that fully. When i said about the the hoops and rods, i meant, surely tension rods and hoops of different manufacturers would fit my kit? It's not as if a 12" gretsch hoop wouldn'y fit a 12" tom from another manufacturer, surely? Either way, both would have to be exactly 12".
Old 06-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Pioneer Member

How many drums you looking at doing? I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment and time? I'd probably save that money to put towards an actual Gretsch kit since that's what you want it to look like.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

i'd have to agree, with all the money for new hoops, lugs, tension rods and a new finish your probably not going to be far off from a whole new shell pack. at least find the stuff you want, total up everything and compare it to a new kit. i know lugs add up real quick...
Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 PM

Yeah, I am wondering why you'd want to do this. You could get a used Catalina kit for pretty cheap nowadays and they'd sound and play better than your CB kit. By the time you throw Fiberskyn resos, die casts hoops, and buy enough replica Gretsch lugs to cover the job you'll be more than half way to new drum-set land.

To answer your question about lug-hole spacing on drums shells, the answer is an big N-O. Lug hole spacing is not universal unfortunately. I think you'd be very hard pressed to have an exact fit with CB and Gretsch lug hole spacing, which means you'll have to do some drilling. When it comes to drums, friends don't let friends drill holes.

Save your cash and upgrade!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

It's not as if a 12" gretsch hoop wouldn'y fit a 12" tom from another manufacturer, surely?

It is actually "as if..." some GRETSCH 12's have 5 lugs.

I'd keep the CB's as they are, put mesh heads on them for a practice kit, save-up for a good used set
Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

ok i got bored...

say you have 10"-5 lug,12" -6 lug,14" -8 lug sn,16" -8 lug and 22" -10 lug drums..

thats 74 lugs - 4 gretsch lugs go for $30 on ebay total=$555
4 2.3m hoops at $18 each total=$72
4 die cast hoops $35 each total=$140
2 bass hoops $60 each total=$120
1 fiberskin head for bass total=$40
74 tension rods 6 for $8 total=$97
20 bass drum claws 10 for $15 on ebay total=$30

finish i have no idea what that would cost or if you do it yourself. i know the prices may be off somewhat depending on if you buy new or used and i'm sure you can get better prices if you look harder, i just did i quick search for an average price... grand total of duh duh duh!!! ....$946..... seems kinda high to me but yeah..

cost of brand spanking new shiny gretsch cat ash 6 piece $699, cat maple 6 piece $799, renown fusion 5 piece $1032....

i think i'd drop the extra $90 and go for those renowns in a heart beat....
Old 06-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

say you have 10"-5 lug,12" -6 lug,14" -8 lug sn,16" -8 lug and 22" -10 lug drums..

A 22" CB'GB-BD doesn't have 10 lugs per side, I can tell you that without even seeing it... so knock $25 off that total
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

thats ok, i didn't add in suspension mounts or anything like that either....
Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Well i went onto ebay and priced up a total for the following.

Enough Gretsch lugs for 12" and 16" toms and 22" bass.
Enough Gretsch tension rods for 12" tom etc
4 Premier diecast hoops (with the right amount of holes in each)
1 Fiberskyn head

All this came to just over 200, a hell of a lot less than a new Gretsch kit. However the main and ONLY reason i've decided not to go ahead with the majority of this is because of the lugs. If Gretsch ones don't fit CB shells then i don't want to potentially mess up my only kit trying to drill some holes and fill in old ones. I'd have to find a place to drill them first of all. I've decided just to go for diecast hoops (or maybe wood ones if i really start craving them), the Fiberskyn bass reso head, and more stain.

As i said, i currently don't have the money for a new kit and just refitting mine slightly would change the sound more to how i'd like it to sound (the weight of the diecast hoops and some coated G2's will help a lot) and also the look i want, with that fiberskyn on the front.

And since i've never stained or re-finish a kit before (although i've been asking and researching about it for months beforehand), i think it'd be best to take it one step at a time. If i'm a bit too generous with the stain brush, i can just take of the tape and reveal the clear bearing edges, correct the mistake, put on some more tape and carry on. If i drill a shell in the wrong place or with the wrong sized drill bit, that's hard (for me) to undo successfully.

Thanks for saving me!
xoxo